LIV Golf

wjemather

Visit site
Just a thought but maybe the answer is two threads - one for the Liv events and the actual golf golf for those who are interested and another specifically for the economics / politics (with a small p) / impact on pro golf / rights and wrongs etc

Then people can post in the appropriate thread and each discussion can proceed without taking the other off track.

Or you can just ban people who think Liv is a bad thing.
Irrespective of peoples opinions on LIV (or anything else), they should be capable of expressing their views without repeating the same snide comments ad nauseam.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry, didn't realise we could only be Pro-LIV on this thread 👍
No one needs to be pro, but you troll like a north atlantic fisherman
Irrespective of peoples opinions on LIV (or anything else), they should be capable of expressing their views without repeating the same snide comments ad nauseam.
Fat chance you should see the repeated rubbish in the football and Electric car threads, it's generally the same people repeating the same stuff over and over, bit like my wife's nagging

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a thought but maybe the answer is two threads - one for the Liv events and the actual golf golf for those who are interested and another specifically for the economics / politics (with a small p) / impact on pro golf / rights and wrongs etc

Then people can post in the appropriate thread and each discussion can proceed without taking the other off track.

Funnily enough, there have been behind the scenes chat about setting up another thread in manner you suggest. It was deemed best to leave it to posters to decide on that rather than mods forcing the issue..

People are allowed different views and they are allowed to express those, as always. Just an end to the trolling is all. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

(y)
I'd suggested similar a while back, that this thread becomes a "professional golf landscape" thread, and the actual golf talk moves to the Professional Golf thread.

Unfortunately the mod at the time was against it (an observation not a criticism), and some posters complained about the golf chat on the golf thread.

Things may have moved on.

@Lord Tyrion I suspect a regular poster can't change this thread title, only the OP - which may hinder self organisation.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
(y)
I'd suggested similar a while back, that this thread becomes a "professional golf landscape" thread, and the actual golf talk moves to the Professional Golf thread.

Unfortunately the mod at the time was against it (an observation not a criticism), and some posters complained about the golf chat on the golf thread.

@Lord Tyrion I suspect a regular poster can't change this thread title, only the OP - which may hinder self organisation.

To be fair, you could just delete this thread and start a new one with 1 post to sum up all the back and forth. There isn’t really much of substance in here other than the back and forth bickering.

D

Deleted member 15344

(y)

That’s a really good idea

The golf landscape covers multiple tours and this thread can be used to discuss that because it’s going to be ever evolving

That includes PGAT funding , ranking points etc

And then the Professional golf thread 2024 can be used for the actual golf comps and play and results etc

LIV is part of the golf landscape and by its nature the thread title could be creating division etc , it shouldn’t need its own thread in the same way we don’t have one for the other tours

@Hobbit @Lord Tyrion - make it so 😁

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
(y)

I'm not sure if absorbing liv tournaments etc into the pro golf thread would end well but if someone wants to start a LIV playing, or whatever, thread that keeps clear of the controversial stuff, leaving that to here, that would seem sensible to me. That allows people to discuss the players, tournaments etc without the other baggage.

Up to posters if they want that to happen, start a new thread..........

Incidentally, mods can change the thread title, we just need to know if people want that and then what to change it to.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not sure if absorbing liv tournaments etc into the pro golf thread would end well but if someone wants to start a LIV playing, or whatever, thread that keeps clear of the controversial stuff, leaving that to here, that would seem sensible to me. That allows people to discuss the players, tournaments etc without the other baggage.

Up to posters if they want that to happen, start a new thread..........
I think it won't prevent the pro/anti LIV, PGA still having their dogmatic views. Surely simpler for those not interested or put off by the arguments to give it a wide berth

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it won't prevent the pro/anti LIV, PGA still having their dogmatic views. Surely simpler for those not interested or put off by the arguments to give it a wide berth
People interested in the players or liv tournaments shouldn't have to give it a wide berth though. There should be a place for them to discuss liv matters without being badgered, as with all threads.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I agree up to a point but feel it’s important to periodically raise the issue of where the Liv money comes from as it’s a fundamental issue that too many choose to ignore. I don’t think the pros and cons of Liv and how it impacts the golf landscape can be seriously discussed without considering that aspect.

So I guess that makes me snide. Or a troll.
Personally I feel the frequency and tone of your posts on this matter qualify you for neither. Just my view, others may differ.

evemccc

Visit site
Yes of course we all work for money and the players were very well rewarded by the performances on the PGAT

LIV money is next level up and imo I always not comfortable with players being given huge amounts regardless of how they perform - it’s not rewarding how they perform

Players going around in 12 over par and still getting a vast amount in their pockets

There will always be the unanswered question- If LIV is that good why does it take so much money to persuade players to play on it

If Ferrari is so good, why did they pay Michael Schumacher so many (and in a years time, Lewis Hamilton) millions to drive their F1 cars?

wjemather

Visit site
I agree up to a point but feel it’s important to periodically raise the issue of where the Liv money comes from as it’s a fundamental issue that too many choose to ignore. I don’t think the pros and cons of Liv and how it impacts the golf landscape can be seriously discussed without considering that aspect.

So I guess that makes me snide. Or a troll.
Not at all. The source of the money is an undeniable concern, but it can't be discussed properly without getting fairly deep into politics.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Only you and Mel in there?😉

Although thanks to your link, that's the first Liv I've seen.. the graphic on the left annoyed me after 15 seconds. Strange

I'm also wondering what the shotgun start does to the relevance of the leaderboard for most of the day as holes are not uniformly easy/difficult?

Last edited: