LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I‘m not sure your comment stands up to scrutiny. For example, how can John Rahm, Bryson de Chambeau, Bruce Koepka, Dustin Johnson et al play on both tours at exactly the same time? @BridgfordBlue made a valid comment, i.e. that the fields are split/diluted because there’s another tour that has ‘pinched’ some of the top guys.

It’s not a new phenomena. Those of us that were going to tournaments in the late 70’s and 80’s will well remember tournaments like the B&H at Fulford, the Laurence Batley/Car Care in Leeds, the Jersey Open and more recently the British Masters. Once upon a time we would see Langer, Ballesteros, Faldo, Lyle and Woosnam at those tournaments but the attraction of playing in the U.S., and the restrictions applied to the players who joined the PGAT, meant the big European names spent more time playing in America, and the European tournaments died through the lack of big names attending. And to be honest, from a small minded perspective, I hope the PGAT does get a good kicking for what they did to the European tour in the 80’s, and are still doing it - the BMW @ Wentworth was forced to move relatively recently to accommodate the PGAT schedule.

As for poor fields playing on the PGAT at present. The big names have always gone into hibernation at this time of year, only really ramping up their schedule in the run up to the Masters. And as to who has the best courses… LIV has a few very decent ones but just like the PGAT & European Tour, there’s some instantly forgettable ones too.

LIV is, at present, here to stay. And in terms of what we want to see, the PGAT might be well advised to find some middle ground or risk losing a few more players, sponsors and viewers. The European Tour doesn’t have the capacity to lose more players and has accommodated LIV to a certain extent. And, bizarrely, has played a bit of a blinder which might see more of the U.S. LIV players playing on the European Tour.

LIV has been argued from a political and moral perspective, and it’s still here. It’s been argued from a quality of field and format perspective, and it’s still here. Like it or loathe it, it’s here and it’s still growing as a product. As much as we may not like it, I’m inclined to think we need to learn to live with it.
Agree with much of that. Rory did state, when defending the creation of the signature (now elevated) events, that when they ran the numbers he was surprised to learn how infrequently the majority of the top guys played in same event. As with most of these debates, the truth is probably somewhere in them middle. I suspect the reality is most viewers didn't mind so much as the top players "rotated" so you'd see them every few events, and that is the key thing that has changed now if not watching more than one place.
In this ever changing golf world, at least we can all take heart in on thing not changing, the fact than new drivers will increase in price every year :)

D

Deleted member 1147

You did get rotation of top players on the PGA tour, as they'd play different events based on sponsor, location and fitting it into their schedule.
Now they all have pretty much the same schedule.
However, no matter who is playing you still get to watch excellent golf. We've already had some amazing low scoring, excitement and some new names. So I'm a happy viewer.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This is something I had not thought of before but is pretty valid. I'm surprised they have not pushed this more in their marketing.

I have literally been making this point for 2 years :ROFLMAO:

LIV is the better option to see the big names. I imagine that will be very popular with kids these days too - the like a guaranteed chance at seeing celebs etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have literally been making this point for 2 years :ROFLMAO:

LIV is the better option to see the big names. I imagine that will be very popular with kids these days too - the like a guaranteed chance at seeing celebs etc.
Who said that 👀

Apologies, so much of this thread is white noise, it is hard to pick up genuine points (y)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Who said that 👀

Apologies, so much of this thread is white noise, it is hard to pick up genuine points (y)

I try to be quite even in my posts here. I live LIV as an event to attend in person. Lots of selling points to it.

I enjoyed LIV more than The Open if I'm honest, but the weather last year was soooooooo bad on Sunday that I think that's the main reason why. Didn't even have one beverage at The Open!

wjemather

Visit site
You did get rotation of top players on the PGA tour, as they'd play different events based on sponsor, location and fitting it into their schedule.
Now they all have pretty much the same schedule.
However, no matter who is playing you still get to watch excellent golf. We've already had some amazing low scoring, excitement and some new names. So I'm a happy viewer.
The old tour policy meant players had to add different events to their schedule each season which helped rotate the big names round the circuit a little.

Low scoring on defenceless golf courses is not amazing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Isnt one of Livs strengths that every time you tune in for an event you know 100% for sure that all the top players are going to be playing.
It can be seen as strength if you just want to see the same players at every event and have no interest in anyone else outside those elite players

I believe there are over 400 golfers across both the PGAT and DP that have earned some level of playing rights - with the top players not playing every event that gives the opportunity for many others to break through including amateurs and players coming from college

It also leaves the majors to be the pinnacle because that’s where the best players do come together and also events like the Players , the old WGC , PGA Wentworth - it elevates those events above the rest

Tennis is the same - the tour has weekly events but the top players come out for masters events and the slams

A closed shop with just a handful of the best golfers isn’t what I would like to see each event - it’s prob why i like the ET more , it’s good to see the players battling to get the wins or the full card etc

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah despite watching his stuff regularly I can’t see me splashing the cash on an RS cap but (hypocritically I guess) I have spent £50 on a TW cap so I can at least see why someone who’s been a big fan of say Bubba Watson over the years might buy a RangeGoats team shirt but that notion didn’t occur to them & its hardly a new concept; How many Messi/Beckham/Hamilton fans have bought team shirts without previously being a fan of the team

The idea is that if you like their content, you are able to give something back in return. Sure they get paid by ads but the merch revenue can fairly bring in the cash too if ifs done right.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Yeah despite watching his stuff regularly I can’t see me splashing the cash on an RS cap but (hypocritically I guess) I have spent £50 on a TW cap so I can at least see why someone who’s been a big fan of say Bubba Watson over the years might buy a RangeGoats team shirt but that notion didn’t occur to them & its hardly a new concept; How many Messi/Beckham/Hamilton fans have bought team shirts without previously being a fan of the team
Yeah but RS is hardly TW or Beckham 😂
Good luck to him tho,he’s done well for himself.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The idea is that if you like their content, you are able to give something back in return. Sure they get paid by ads but the merch revenue can fairly bring in the cash too if ifs done right.

yeah I get it. i'm just one of those that doesn't subscribe to or follow any social media poster/channel no matter how much i might enjoy their content

D

Deleted member 15344

This is something I had not thought of before but is pretty valid. I'm surprised they have not pushed this more in their marketing.

It’s part of Greg Norman’s vision , instead of having the best players playing on one tour he wanted to see those best players play around the world , because of the PGaT many previously top events - Aus Open , British Masters , PGA etc lost a lot of their top players because the players travelled to “conquer” the US and it gave them a better road to the majors

It worked as well -Europeans , South Africans , Aussies etc started to compete in the Majors and winning them - especially in the US

I think the idea of the better players playing in other areas - Aus , Europe etc more is a good thing - but I’m not sure if it should be just the top 50 etc - they tried that with WGC and it didn’t work so well outside the US

It does help with the sponsers and marketing etc knowing who will turn up

From this week events on the PGA will ramp up

Waste Management
Genesis
Arnold Palmer
The Players

The ET also hits Africa and then Asia swing

So lots of different courses and the top PGA players will play in most of them