LIV Golf

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OFFISHAL GOLF MONTHLY LIV FANTASY GOLF LEAGUE šŸ˜‚

Maybe some of the lads that have zero excitement for LIV according to Swango's poll, but have racked up thousands of posts on this thread - might want to have a go.

I'll put up an end of season prize of some sort for the winner.

I can't guarantee I'll remember to update my team - and I certainly won't remember my password because of their silly password rules - but I think I have entered.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sorry are you in your 60s (sorry to offend the over 60s who can handle tech)

Sky and beeb? The 90s called they would like their TV back.
I only really watch sport or films, or my old DVD collection.
TV as a whole doesn't interest me much

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems that way.

Does anyone know how broadcasters pay for the rights to golf? I assume there are separate packages:

1. All PGAT Events
2. All DP World Tour events
3. Ryder Cup
4. Solheim Cup
5. Each Major Separately
6. LIV

Is the above correct? And, if so, I know that no-one has picked up LIV yet, but does anyone know how much (Sky) pay for each for UK rights?

Broadcasters will deal with the governing body for each tv right

R&A for The Open
Masters Committee for the Masters
PGA for the PGAT events etc

All differing packages etc

Sky have bought all the available packages for the live coverage
Dvds? Wow didn't even know People still bothered with them.

How quaint

Have you considered that many in the world donā€™t have or even bothered about all the latest technology and are happy with what they have for their own needs - donā€™t talk down to people because of that

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Letā€™s face it.

A large degree of the animosity directed at LIV, is because theyā€™ve devalued the Sky Sports subscription that some people are paying for.

If LIV had been on SKY from the off, I reckon this thread would have taken a very different tone.

D

Deleted member 15344

Letā€™s face it.

A large degree of the animosity directed at LIV, is because theyā€™ve devalued the Sky Sports subscription that some people are paying for.

If LIV had been on SKY from the off, I reckon this thread would have taken a very different tone.

Letā€™s face it

Youā€™re wrong - for me sweet FA to do with my sky sports subscription which is mainly for the majors and football and cricket which hasnā€™t been devalued one single bit

Animosity for LIV appears to be for multiple reasons if you read the thread

The money
The source of the money
The level snide and spite on social media
The complete lack of nonsense the players come out with
The divide itā€™s created in the sport
The attitude of the players who left for LIV and their money but still want to have all the good stuff from the other tours

If LIV was created and just stood alone and enjoyed themselves within their bubble then I suspect many wouldnā€™t give two hoots

Last edited by a moderator:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
So most people, even those on a golf discussion forum, only really care about Majors and RC
Appreciate Swango1980 was trying to avoid it becoming too large but say for PGAT there are IMO 3 (at least) different tiers of events, which I would rank differently. Similar for DPWT. So I didn't fill it in, in the end.

D

Deleted member 1147

Letā€™s face it.

I would watch it if it were on sky. For the most part it has good golfers and plays some decent courses.

My only real animosity toward it is the bulls**t they say about it...the growing the game rubbish, the weekly guess at who's joining, the rubbish talked about the evil PGA treating the players so poorly.

wjemather

Visit site
Letā€™s face it.

There is also the perception that all the best players competed against each other week-in week-out, when in reality that only happened about half a dozen times a year, majors included. Before the PGAT elevated events in response to LIV, there were always a significant list of absentees from Riviera, Bay Hill, Muirfield Village, and most WGCs.

Swango1980

Visit site
Appreciate Swango1980 was trying to avoid it becoming too large but say for PGAT there are IMO 3 (at least) different tiers of events, which I would rank differently. Similar for DPWT. So I didn't fill it in, in the end.
Yeah, if I could have created a proper poll on a separate thread, I'd have probably put more thought into it. I also forgot the Solheim Cup, and didn't add it to my results as only one person added it on their list I think

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Seems that way.

Does anyone know how broadcasters pay for the rights to golf? I assume there are separate packages:

1. All PGAT Events
2. All DP World Tour events
3. Ryder Cup
4. Solheim Cup
5. Each Major Separately
6. LIV

Is the above correct? And, if so, I know that no-one has picked up LIV yet, but does anyone know how much (Sky) pay for each for UK rights?
This is something that maybe hasn't been talked about much.
Traditionally each broadcaster has their own team. Think Sky and BBC when the beeb still did golf (mens Professional). Or world cup footy.
In the US believe PGAT events & majors are split out across broadcasters.
LIV, probably due to not having a choice initially, do the whole production (for those okay with English speaking). So it is a different model where the broadcaster would just show the feed.
Can certainly understand if an existing pundit or commentator might be uncomfortable with that direction.
Don't know how that would affect rights payments though.
May be a factor why UK is lagging behind other territories in having a traditional tv feed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

There is also the perception that all the best players competed against each other week-in week-out, when in reality that only happened about half a dozen times a year, majors included. Before the PGAT elevated events in response to LIV, there were always a significant list of absentees from Riviera, Bay Hill, Muirfield Village, and most WGCs.

I donā€™t think I have ever seen anyone suggest that ā€œall the best players competed against each other week in week outā€ - surely you arenā€™t embellishing there a little ?

And this season how many events will have the top players in it ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Who had that perception????

D

Deleted member 1147

Have you considered that many in the world donā€™t have or even bothered about all the latest technology and are happy with what they have for their own needs - donā€™t talk down to people because of that
I imagine some of us have more going on in life, so don't care as much about watching TV all the time.

wjemather

Visit site
Letā€™s face it

Youā€™re wrong - for me sweet FA to do with my sky sports subscription which is mainly for the majors and football and cricket which hasnā€™t been devalued one single bit

Animosity for LIV appears to be for multiple reasons if you read the thread

The money
The source of the money
The level snide and spite on social media
The complete lack of nonsense the players come out with
The divide itā€™s created in the sport
The attitude of the players who left for LIV and their money but still want to have all the good stuff from the other tours

If LIV was created and just stood alone and enjoyed themselves within their bubble then I suspect many wouldnā€™t give two hoots
Most couldn't care less about the money already wealthy professional sportspeople earn, or where it comes from. If people cared about his stuff, they wouldn't be paying subscriptions to watch sport on TV at all, especially football.
Most of the snark comes from the establishment side of the fence (most of us don't sit on either side of the fence).
The divide was created by the tour refusing to even have preliminary discussions, and believing that no-one would dare challenge their control over the world of elite pro golf.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
I donā€™t think I have ever seen anyone suggest that ā€œall the best players competed against each other week in week outā€ - surely you arenā€™t embellishing there a little ?

And this season how many events will have the top players in it ?
As I've said before, you seem to have a knack for only seeing/reading/hearing what suits your opinion.
That's problem with perceptions - they are embellished.

There should be 4. The majors have it in their power to have the best fields possible but if they remain intransigent, they won't. So possibly zero.
Before LIV and the PGAT cancelling of the WGCs, there were regularly 5, sometimes 6 or 7.
The one tournament that has been weakened the most is The Players.

WGCRider

Visit site
Letā€™s face it.

Let's face it.

There has been some mad stuff said/claimed in this thread but this has to be one of the craziest theories.