LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

You've been into golf longer than me and this is a genuine question:

Why is the Asian market not strong enough/ has a tour not succeeded there before?

Reason for asking is that I've heard before than Srixon is the largest golf manufacturer in the world and its mainly down to the Asian market, are they just play golf heavy and watch golf "light" so to speak?

I just feel like there must be untapped revenue there but unsure if tours have tried and failed over there?

I appreciate there is the "Asian tour" but the numbers there aren't big for such a large playing population

Not sure if I've actually made any sense here but I'm hoping you catch the general scope of what I'm asking?

I think it’s because there hasn’t been a real big Asian Golf star to grab onto and whilst it’s ok popularity wise it’s prob way down on the list behind a good number of sports - and even then any top player will always be looking to leave because of access to majors

The WGC in China didn’t really grasp the audience and people are ok to play the sport but watching it don’t seem to be too bothered.

Ladies golf is booming there but again it doesn’t grasp the local audience

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think it’s because there hasn’t been a real big Asian Golf star to grab onto and whilst it’s ok popularity wise it’s prob way down on the list behind a good number of sports - and even then any top player will always be looking to leave because of access to majors

The WGC in China didn’t really grasp the audience and people are ok to play the sport but watching it don’t seem to be too bothered.

Ladies golf is booming there but again it doesn’t grasp the local audience

Its strange to me is all! Obviously don't have the same sports watching culture we do in other parts of the world, shame for them! :ROFLMAO:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You've been into golf longer than me and this is a genuine question:

Why is the Asian market not strong enough/ has a tour not succeeded there before?

Reason for asking is that I've heard before than Srixon is the largest golf manufacturer in the world and its mainly down to the Asian market, are they just play golf heavy and watch golf "light" so to speak?

I just feel like there must be untapped revenue there but unsure if tours have tried and failed over there?

I appreciate there is the "Asian tour" but the numbers there aren't big for such a large playing population

Not sure if I've actually made any sense here but I'm hoping you catch the general scope of what I'm asking?

Possibly because the PGAT is over populated with events, and the players don’t have time to travel between events.

They introduced the wrap around schedule to stifle all the other tours.

If you give the players the time to travel by reducing their schedule, but reward them appropriately for their commitments to an international tour, they’ll go around the globe.

D

Deleted member 1147

Possibly because the PGAT is over populated with events, and the players don’t have time to travel between events.

If you give the players the time to travel by reducing their schedule, but reward them appropriately for their commitments to an international tour, they’ll go around the globe.
Overpopulated ?

WGCRider

Visit site
For clarity, LIV is a long term investment and forms part of a long term business plan.
I KNOW they aren’t making money now.......
....But long term, there is clearly an opportunity for the Saudis to use LIV, and golf as part of viable financial plan.

How?

The most profitable sport on earth is NFL. The highest paid player in NFL signed a $450m contract for 10 years. The next biggest deal is about half that.
Golf is a minority sport. LIV paid the same for a player on a 4 year deal.
They do not have a business model that suggests any chance of making any money ever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

These tours weren’t exactly booming before the PGAT added events

You cant keep blaming all the ills of golf on the PGAT

There was nothing stopping the players from supporting their home tour - what was stopping the Asian Tour from grabbing the big sponsers to entice the best Asian players

It’s the same with the European Tour etc

But where is the biggest market , where is the corporate sponsers and major media deals - the US is the main market for the sport , even LIV can see that hence why they have multiple events there

cleveland52

Visit site
Mate - that's objectively nonsense. They've spent half a billion dollars signing 1 player who will be 35 and over the hill in golf terms by 2030. As an enterprise this has zero chance of ever making money. There actions to date have done nothing to show that they care about ever making money. My sons school sports day generates more profit that than a LIV golf event.
Nobody has given a clear answer as to what they are trying to do.
Correct. if it's not to make money then it's a rogue state takeover, right!?!🙂

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
No, I’m talking about the PIF getting a return.
For the record, half the golf courses being built in the world are between Asia and the middle east, that’s a lot of development going on that’s going to result in wasted money if we all took the view that the USA is the only market worth exploring with regards to golf.
Thats not as big a deal as it sounds given that around 60% of the world's population resides in Asia alone.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Its strange to me is all! Obviously don't have the same sports watching culture we do in other parts of the world, shame for them! :ROFLMAO:
There is barely any golf played by locals in most Asian Countries, compared to here and the USA. Half of their golf course are in Japan the other 3K or so are spread across an area housing over half the worlds population. For comparison the US has over 17k courses and and under 10% of the worlds population. The UK and Ireland have just short of 3K and around 1% of the worlds population.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Always amazes me how much some people post on the LIV thread but not on other golf threads 🙄

I've literally just posted on another thread mate.

As it happens, my apprentice is off with a bleed on his brain, so I'm flat out at work - leaving me little time to post on here - but when I do, it will generally be about LIV. Apologies if you have an issue with that. (y)

D

Deleted member 1147

I've literally just posted on another thread mate.

As it happens, my apprentice is off with a bleed on his brain, so I'm flat out at work - leaving me little time to post on here - but when I do, it will generally be about LIV. Apologies if you have an issue with that. (y)
Who said it was you I was referencing?

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
It's sad.. Tyrrell, a potential Major winner will now fade into obscurity like others before him.

Enjoy your money Tyrrell, I hope you think it's worth it.