LIV Golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd probably object...haven't seen it happening yet. Being an oldish fart (66) I like to hear things like birds, rivers, wind etc etc when I'm outside. If I wanted music I'd probably just put an ear bud in (as if I knew how:)), then I wouldn't have to worry about bothering other people.

I walk down the river most days and I see people "plugged in" while they are walking. I don't personally get it.....nature is pretty nice, why avoid it by blocking it out? Granted....I'm a champion daydreamer....I usually solve the worlds problems while I'm walking.
I would complain. I want to get away from the hustle and bustle and the everyday noise and enjoy a few hours in a pleasant environment enjoying the elements and nature and some good conversation with my PP's. If I wanted music I'd stay at home and go through my album collection

D

Deleted member 15344

I play with a lot of guys here in OZ who have music playing on there phone and boom boxes, been this way since way before LIV, they always ask before turning it on if it is OK, yet to here someone say no.

Even had two English GM's playing and they did not mind it, maybe give it go and see if you like it.

Don’t think I have ever seen anyone on a course in the UK with a “boom box” or phone blaring music away - apart from once at Centurion when Vinny Jones had it on his hummer.

We are there to play golf , enjoy the course , talk with playing partners and then concentrate on hitting the shots - I don’t go to a golf course to listen to music blaring away - Happy Gilmore party golf was make believe - if I want to listen to music it will be at a concert or in the solace of my own company where no else can hear it

WGCRider

Visit site
It was never their plan to make money from LIV for several years.

Like most investments, they take time to deliver profit, and for the Saudis, LIV is a small but important part of a much bigger vision (Vision 2030).
Mate - that's objectively nonsense. They've spent half a billion dollars signing 1 player who will be 35 and over the hill in golf terms by 2030. As an enterprise this has zero chance of ever making money. There actions to date have done nothing to show that they care about ever making money. My sons school sports day generates more profit that than a LIV golf event.
Nobody has given a clear answer as to what they are trying to do.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Mate - that's objectively nonsense. They've spent half a billion dollars signing 1 player who will be 35 and over the hill in golf terms by 2030. As an enterprise this has zero chance of ever making money. There actions to date have done nothing to show that they care about ever making money. My sons school sports day generates more profit that than a LIV golf event.
Nobody has given a clear answer as to what they are trying to do.

Why is it nonsense?

There is huge amounts of evidence, interviews, etc that support that view, so explain to me how it’s nonsense.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ppl will get what the want out of watching golf. I mean regardless of what tour they’re on I’d rather watch all of LP’s ‘twilight’ players (all 9 are Major winners!) ahead of many of the recent winners on other tours. Good luck to the guys coming up (on all tours) but there’s a reason the Champions/Senior tours still draw in sponsors/crowds etc.

LIV players collecting 5 out of 6 wins in the co-sanctioned opening ET swing tells us liv isn’t a player scrapyard when they play against their peers

I think I said it 4 or 500 pages back, I wish liv was funded by Mr Kipling or Aunt Bessie’s (at a push even Captain Birdseye, but not that Colonel Sanders bloke) but I can’t do anything about that so I don’t actually have to like or dislike one tour over the other.
Watching a player standing on the tee belting it 300+ or putting for birdie, it makes zero difference to my viewing experience whether is a 54 or 72 hole event or what the logo in the corner of the screen says

As it stands pgat players have to “switch” to play on liv, however golf fans don’t have to switch, we can watch both (& more)

WGCRider

Visit site
Why is it nonsense?

There is huge amounts of evidence, interviews, etc that support that view, so explain to me how it’s nonsense.
Well it's nonsense to suggest that an enterprise that is over $1billion in the red, that has never staged a single profitable and other than donations for 1 guy has no way of generating cash - is somehow going to pivot to generating a profit by 2030.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well it's nonsense to suggest that an enterprise that is over $1billion in the red, that has never staged a single profitable and other than donations for 1 guy has no way of generating cash - is somehow going to pivot to generating a profit by 2030.

They are already generating cash, so how can they ‘have no way of generating cash’ ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Re music, I’m sure everyone can understand why they’d try it (ET have tried it) and its success/failure won’t be measured by what non-spectators thoughts might be if it happened at their members course. Trying to keep spectators of all age groups entertained (& on-site) at a large open air venue even when they’re not actively watching players is the challenge and while i've not attended many processional sports events (some football & rugby etc) they have all had music, tanoys, crowds etc

Scores suggest the players quickly adapted to hearing it (if any adaption was even needed for Tour Pro’s who have heard unpredicted shouts & cheers their whole careers) Maybe it even helps drown out the spontaneous cheers from the next green when you’re on your backswing!

I’ve not heard it as being overbearing when viewing YT coverage. Doesn’t mean I'd vote for it on the monthly medal though... only because the two aren’t any way relatable

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Now you're just saying things. Objectively they are cash flow negative - they will loose money again this weekend.
Your village fare this year will generate more income than the entire LIV calendar. But sure, it's sustainable and the future.

I honestly don’t think it’s worth my time discussing this with you if that’s the best you can do mate, and it’s a a discussion that’s been done countless times before.

D

Deleted member 15344

From the report that came out in December I believe LIV income through the second season was around £100mil , the season before was half that

The outgoings was over £1bn each season prob need to up that with Rahm etc arriving so for LIV to be sustainable and continue to pay out the level money they are they will need to bring in each year over £1bn

That mainly arrives from Media deals , and major sponsers - both that they don’t appear to be close to getting

So LIV will need to held up each year by PIF - it’s why they are in need of that deal with PGAT pretty badly

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Likewise Phil, the PGAT need a deal, they’re losing money - and while the private equity investment brings in much needed money - it doesn’t address their main problem - the product has lost a LOT of its value.

Let’s hope for everybody’s sake, a deal is struck which is beneficial tp everybody.

AussieKB

Visit site
Re music, I’m sure everyone can understand why they’d try it (ET have tried it) and its success/failure won’t be measured by what non-spectators thoughts might be if it happened at their members course. Trying to keep spectators of all age groups entertained (& on-site) at a large open air venue even when they’re not actively watching players is the challenge and while i've not attended many processional sports events (some football & rugby etc) they have all had music, tanoys, crowds etc

Scores suggest the players quickly adapted to hearing it (if any adaption was even needed for Tour Pro’s who have heard unpredicted shouts & cheers their whole careers) Maybe it even helps drown out the spontaneous cheers from the next green when you’re on your backswing!

I’ve not heard it as being overbearing when viewing YT coverage. Doesn’t mean I'd vote for it on the monthly medal though... only because the two aren’t any way relatable
Played the Monthly Medal last week and music was being played by a playing partner, shot 3 over, but I am used to it, and like I said if someone objected then it would be turned off, he did ask before starting it up.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Likewise Phil, the PGAT need a deal, they’re losing money - and while the private equity investment brings in much needed money - it doesn’t address their main problem - the product has lost a LOT of its value.

Let’s hope for everybody’s sake, a deal is struck which is beneficial tp everybody.

The PGA isn't performing well financially (much of this is due to aggressive competition from a state-backed enterprise), but it's still miles ahead of LIV in terms of revenue, genuine fan interest, sponsorships, etc. LIV will only continue to survive with extreme subsidies from the Saudis. Clearly, that may continue to happen for years to come, but stop acting like LIV is remotely viable outside of irrational subsidies. Not even LIV's leadership team would think that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played the Monthly Medal last week and music was being played by a playing partner, shot 3 over, but I am used to it, and like I said if someone objected then it would be turned off, he did ask before starting it up.

I've played music twice (Xmas scramble and Scottish theme Comp) when I had a speaker in the buggy going. No one objected (afaik) but wasn't using during play of shots anyway
If I can hit the ball when they're constructing a villa next to the tee box I doubt I'd score worse if there was music going around me, although ear buds might mess up swing tempo.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t believe the PGAT need a deal from PIF - they do need to look at sponsors and investment but it doesn’t have to be from PIF if they can find it from US based private investment then they won’t need to PIF

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t believe the PGAT need a deal from PIF - they do need to look at sponsors and investment but it doesn’t have to be from PIF if they can find it from US based private investment then they won’t need to PIF

The PGAT don’t have the players to attract the interest to their tour. Any PE money pumped in will also be expected to produce a return.

With sponsors already leaving, how does the PGAT business model stack up?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I've played music twice (Xmas scramble and Scottish theme Comp) when I had a speaker in the buggy going. No one objected (afaik) but wasn't using during play of shots anyway
If I can hit the ball when they're constructing a villa next to the tee box I doubt I'd score worse if there was music going around me, although ear buds might mess up swing tempo.

I played at Alicante Golf one time with the youth, it’s right in the city and close to the beach with a few hotels etc bordering the golf course. As we came down the last few holes it was obvious there was a pool party going on at the side of the 18th, DJ pumping the tunes out, people having a good time. Absolutely loved what it added to our experience as we played out the round.