LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Agree. May be the odd imply but not going looking.

I think at times the banning aspect and qualification aspect become muddled in the back & forth which maybe confuses, tried to articulate here.
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2564075

I think you do see a fair bit of "don't want them in the majors at all" on wider social media but as far as I could tell seemed to be predominantly from USA posters who believed the marketing and think the PGAT actually run them all.

Ian_George

Visit site
You really need to try and stop playing the role of the victim here. It is making you think things that are not real. I haven't heard the non LIV fans asking for any bans from Majors.
Cam Smith has expressed concern that Augusta could change their rules for 2023 though...
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/golf-20...sters-fear-after-liv-bombshell-013223291.html

Whether it's another LIV publicity come disruption exercise or not I'm not certain! His attitude to the (somewhat dodgy imo) ruling at the St Jude was that of a 'true golfer'! FWW, I very much doubt that Augusta, or any other Major, would amend their qualification criteria to exclude the likes of Smith, though perhaps the likes of Sandy Lyle.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Over 8,000 posts and I'll wager that you can't find one that expresses delight at any player being refused access to the Majors. If, as I think they should, entry requirements remain unchanged for the coming season, all LiV players will be able to qualify for the opens.

Entry requirements have to move with the times. They were compiled pre LIV. They will be revised.
Invitations to the Masters usually go out late December or early January I think. Everyone will calm down then. The access to majors concern will be revealed to have been all about nothing. Everyone will be there.
Id say the officials in the 4 majors are amused that there is talk of otherwise.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There's quite clearly a rhetoric that denying LIV golfers OWGR points, and denying them opportunities to participate in Majors, could be used as an opportunity to destabilise the LIV series going forwards.
I think that's a fair point to make from both the views on here, and the wider views in golf generally.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
There's quite clearly a rhetoric that denying LIV golfers OWGR points, and denying them opportunities to participate in Majors, could be used as an opportunity to destabilise the LIV series going forwards.
I think that's a fair point to make from both the views on here, and the wider views in golf generally.
The 4 majors choose to follow owgr. They dont have to. Its entirely at their discretion, and while some use them partly, all four organisations have different qualification structures. Each can modify as it wants, independently, and take or not, as much as it wants from the owgr as it chooses. And post importantly, none of the majors are the PGAT. The 4 have their own corners to defend, and do no bat for team PGAT.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
When I look at the DPWT schedule, countries and continents visited - it isn't far away from what I'd like to see.
If somehow a big reset button could be pressed, LIV & PGAT are put on the naughty step for not playing nicely - all the money, and hence players, move to a world tour.?

https://golf.com/news/dp-world-tour-schedule-big-changes/

There's already the 3 majors in the USA, maybe add a couple more events.

Perhaps this was Pelley's plan all along - let the other two lawsuit each other into oblivion, then DPWT can swoop in and mop up! ?

Back in reality it remains to be seen how many top players are at the majority of the locations ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So what I gather from this is that the anti LIV or pro PGAT etc are quite happy that the Champion Golfer of the Year is refused entry to the Majors, why is that I wonder ? If LIV sign Rory (not going to happen) then everyone here would also be happy for him being banned as well, at what point do the Majors stop being Majors, how many top players need to go to LIV for that to happen.

The Majors need to be impartial, if that means they use another formula to ensure that the best Players are invited so be it.

Sorry if that upsets your boat.
?????

cleveland52

Visit site
As that is simply NOT THE CASE, your entire 'point' has no validity!
FWIW, I'm not anti LIV nor Pro PGAT, simply in favour of conformity to (obedience of) 'rules'! It's somewhat interesting to observe the clash of that concept with the 'anything that's legal goes' approach of the business aspect of this, particularly from LIV.

As far as I see, the Majors are impartial!
I think that the majors are impartial as well, but I wouldn't blame them if they banned all LIV players from play until the completion of all Lawsuits though....

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Entry requirements have to move with the times. They were compiled pre LIV. They will be revised.
Invitations to the Masters usually go out late December or early January I think. Everyone will calm down then. The access to majors concern will be revealed to have been all about nothing. Everyone will be there.
Id say the officials in the 4 majors are amused that there is talk of otherwise.

I'm pretty certain that all four majors have amended their entry requirements as times and golf have changed, and I can see some changes going forward. But and this is a big but LiV will need to change too, as currently they are so far away from the other tours in terms of qualifying and formats I'm struggling to see how their players could be compared to players on other tours. It would be like trying to rank players who only played 20/20 cricket alongside those who only play test matches.

cleveland52

Visit site
On what basis would they ban them?
Off the top off my head, I would say.....It's their tournament and they can change the criteria as they see fit. Not being a party to a lawsuit sound like a great criterion to me. Especially the Masters tournament.

I don't think that any tournament is legally obligated to have LIV players in attendance.

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site
I think that the majors are impartial as well, but I wouldn't blame them if they banned all LIV players from play until the completion of all Lawsuits though....
Why just LIV players then? The lawsuit(s) are nothing to do with the Majors! Purely Between LIV, a few (3) LIV players and the PGA Tour. The Majors are all 'neutral'!

Ian_George

Visit site
I'm pretty certain that all four majors have amended their entry requirements as times and golf have changed, and I can see some changes going forward. But and this is a big but LiV will need to change too, as currently they are so far away from the other tours in terms of qualifying and formats I'm struggling to see how their players could be compared to players on other tours. It would be like trying to rank players who only played 20/20 cricket alongside those who only play test matches.
That's an essential, and maybe primary, reason for having the OWGR! But that process has certain standardisation requirements that LIV currently doesn't comply with. It's currently a case of 'who blinks first' wrt which org changes. For 2023 (and maybe another year or 2), it doesn't really matter much as the number of LIV players who lose access is relatively small But that will increase over time.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So in your example, only players that played in test matches would be in the rankings. All other forms of cricket (1Day, Hundred, T20) would be excluded from comparisons and rankings.

Gotcha ?
As I understand it, that is exactly how cricket rankings work, i.e.seperate player rankings for each format of the game.

cleveland52

Visit site
Why just LIV players then? The lawsuit(s) are nothing to do with the Majors! Purely Between LIV, a few (3) LIV players and the PGA Tour. The Majors are all 'neutral'!
I was under the impression that the DOJ was investigating ANGC, PGAtour, etcc.... for collusion and antitrust practices. I'm sure PReed is suing everyone involved in the game of golf.

LIV as a distraction is reason enough to limit LIV players. LIV uses every opportunity to wear their gear and recruit players.....Phil was recruiting while playing in tournaments.

Ian_George

Visit site
I was under the impression that the DOJ was investigating ANGC, PGAtour, etcc.... for collusion and antitrust practices. I'm sure PReed is suing everyone involved in the game of golf.

LIV as a distraction is reason enough to limit LIV players. LIV uses every opportunity to wear their gear and recruit players.....Phil was recruiting while playing in tournaments.
Investigating ain't the same as suing though is it! And even suing doesn't mean there's actual real 'damage' involved!

Limiting LIV players simply because LIV is a distraction can only go so far! DPWT may have exceeded legal boundaries with their approach, though I'm sure they would have taken legal advice about it.

Last edited: