LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

When you have been top 10 in the world and an Open Champion and then find yourself ranked 173 does not mean there are 172 Golfers that are better at golf than you.

That top 10 golfer is still in there and form just needs to be found again and tthen confidence grows.

As the saying goes class is permanent and form is temporary.

He has played class golf in the last 2 days and it's great to see one of Europe's finest back playing great golf after a tough time over the past 12-18 months on the course.
See if it all holds up going for the win in the final round.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you have been top 10 in the world and an Open Champion and then find yourself ranked 173 does not mean there are 172 Golfers that are better at golf than you.

That top 10 golfer is still in there and form just needs to be found again and tthen confidence grows.

He has played class golf in the last 2 days and it's great to see one of Europe's finest back playing great golf after a tough time over the past 12-18 months on the course.

Really, by that analysis, Jack Nicklaus is still the best player, then. Gary Player isn't far behind. I saw him at Bearwood Lakes recently.

Look at Stenson's playing record for the past year, and the conclusion he is playing a course that is easier to score on is inescapable. Although, to be fair, Phil Mickelson might disagree.

Stenson's last win was at the Scando mixed event. It had a strength of field (18) somewhere around a decent Korn Ferry Tour event, and he was a presenting host, so he may have made a special effort. Most PGA Tour events have a SOF in the several hundreds, most DPWT events in the 100-200 range.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Really, by that analysis, Jack Nicklaus is still the best player, then. Gary Player isn't far behind. I saw him at Bearwood Lakes recently.

Look at Stenson's playing record for the past year, and the conclusion he is playing a course that is easier to score on is inescapable. Although, to be fair, Phil Mickelson might disagree.

Stenson's last win was at the Scando mixed event. It had a strength of field (18) somewhere around a decent Korn Ferry Tour event, and he was a presenting host, so he may have made a special effort. Most PGA Tour events have a SOF in the several hundreds, most DPWT events in the 100-200 range.

So there are 1034 better golfers than Tiger Woods in the world right now?
I bet if we started a separate thread on that, you’d get a few disagreeing with you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bet if we started a separate thread on that, you’d get a few disagreeing with you.

Well, in your opinion, who are the best players, then. List a few (you don't need to go as far as number 1034).

As even you know, the OWGR measures performance but also appearances, so the fact Tiger is not playing much hurts his scores. For players with a decent frequency of playing, it reflects their performance. It is entirely mathematical, so no judgements are involved. So Stenson is indeed fairly ranked where he sits, and has a list of results to justify it. Injured and occasional players are ranked unfairly low, but if Tiger pitched up tomorrow at a PGA Tour event, he would not be remotely close to the top of a list of likely winners, nor will ever be again.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to cut out this alternative truth type spin. Tiger hasn't played, and the owgr fails in accurately assessing his level. Like it will now also for DJ and Bryson. But 173 dies represent Stenson over the last year. He is no way the top 10 golfer or Open winner standard. He is way below it. But can still nose to the front of a field if it is of low enough standard

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's still a couple of dozen in the field ranked above him. And I don't believe they are all 2nd division players! Where would you actually draw that '2nd rate' line? Top 100?
Yes, a couple of dozen. That's a weak field then. Golf doesn't work like sports like tennis, where the better player beats the lesser play almost all the time. As well as the level of the golfer Stenson is competing against, the number of golfers better than him is crucial. As pointed out, when he has played full field he is far from the level of player he was. 173 actually. So give him only a handful of serious players to challenge him, and of course he has a better chance of getting to the top of the leaderboard - its not a very high climb !

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well, in your opinion, who are the best players, then. List a few (you don't need to go as far as number 1034).

As even you know, the OWGR measures performance but also appearances, so the fact Tiger is not playing much hurts his scores. For players with a decent frequency of playing, it reflects their performance. It is entirely mathematical, so no judgements are involved. So Stenson is indeed fairly ranked where he sits, and has a list of results to justify it. Injured and occasional players are ranked unfairly low, but if Tiger pitched up tomorrow at a PGA Tour event, he would not be remotely close to the top of a list of likely winners, nor will ever be again.

So what are we saying then? The OWGR rankings aren’t accurate because they don’t take into account players who aren’t competing in qualifying events?

In that case, it proves the point that LIV players should get OWGR points, if you want to maintain a true ranking of the best players in the world. If tiger can be exempted for not having the opportunity to pick up points due to injury, then so can BDC, DJ etc, if they aren’t getting OWGR points on LIV.

Springveldt

Visit site
So what did a fan say to PReed to get thrown out?

Also, great to see Stenson return to form just in time to trouser $4M. I love watching Henrik when he’s on form, one of the best sights in golf is him hitting his mid irons.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So what are we saying then? The OWGR rankings aren’t accurate because they don’t take into account players who aren’t competing in qualifying events?

In that case, it proves the point that LIV players should get OWGR points, if you want to maintain a true ranking of the best players in the world. If tiger can be exempted for not having the opportunity to pick up points due to injury, then so can BDC, DJ etc, if they aren’t getting OWGR points on LIV.
If LIV wants to participate in OWGR, it needs to conform to the rules of participation. It doesn't currently. Therefore, any approach should simply be rejected as a 'non-conforming tour'. If players want to maintain their OWGR, then they should play on a conforming tour and to conforming rules. They appear to have that option, but decide not to. That's a personal decision that they are entitled to make, but must accept the consequences.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So what did a fan say to PReed to get thrown out?

Also, great to see Stenson return to form just in time to trouser $4M. I love watching Henrik when he’s on form, one of the best sights in golf is him hitting his mid irons.

I see the guy that shouted out “Do it for the Saudi Royal Family” to Mickelson was actually the guy from The Good Liars - who are internet pranksters, they do this kind of thing pretty regularly - obviously for the attention it brings to their social media.

On Stenson, he hasn’t won much money for quite a few years now, and I guess the pressure is now off which may have given him the opportunity to focus on his game this weekend. Great to see.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
On Stenson, he hasn’t won much money for quite a few years now, and I guess the pressure is now off which may have given him the opportunity to focus on his game this weekend. Great to see.
Demonstrating that the description of it as a 'circus' is appropriate.

D

Deleted member 21445

Can you not just acknowledge Stenson is playing great golf right now round a tough course..

Tony Finau played great golf last week, I love his gsme and was great to watch also?️

Its a simple yes and no answer?

D

Deleted member 15344

You can only hold your hands up and say that Stenson is playing very clearly. He is a superb player who has struggled for a while and maybe the move with give him a bit of boost without the added pressure etc

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Think I've lost track of what the arguments are ?

Right now, I'd say it's clear that the PGAT events where the top guys turn up are the strongest fields - but there aren't many of those. It's no surprise the liv gang aligned this year's events with the weaker PGAT events.
Fear for the DPWT, may have posted this before
https://m.independent.ie/sport/golf...m-will-cause-devastating-damage-41780973.html

Like some recent posts, I've been enjoying watching some good golf played wherever - entertainment at the end if the day.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fear for the DPWT, may have posted this before
https://m.independent.ie/sport/golf...m-will-cause-devastating-damage-41780973.html

Like some recent posts, I've been enjoying watching some good golf played wherever - entertainment at the end if the day.
I agree that it's not good news for DPWT. But that's actually reality. Nevertheless, a player (Ryan Fox for example) can earn a good living (at about #50 OWGR currently) on the DPWT, but to go up World rankings, performing well on the PGAT will be essential.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It is amusing that there have been LIV fans who have been saying 'leave the politics aside, this is about the golf, etc.' And then LIV this weekend has turned into a Donald Trump rally. Dear oh dear - why on earth did they think he was a good guy to get on board?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It is amusing that there have been LIV fans who have been saying 'leave the politics aside, this is about the golf, etc.' And then LIV this weekend has turned into a Donald Trump rally. Dear oh dear - why on earth did they think he was a good guy to get on board?

He owns the course, and plenty more quality courses where LIV will feature.
Can’t say it bothers me, the guy is 76 years old and out there enjoying the game. Kudos to him for that.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
He owns some epic venues (unfortunately) so I understand why they would want to play at some of them - Royal Aberdeen and Turnberry in particular. But this isn't some old bloke out there enjoying himself. He is using this as a platform to make another run at being President. That's completely bonkers and LIV should not be getting on board with this.