LIV Golf

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
This argument where they won’t care is absolute nonsense, they are elite sportsmen, they are all pretty much rich as it is, there mindset is to go out and win every week, they will carry on doing what they do.
But golf is one of that sports where if you have one bad round you are out of contention, it doesn’t make you a bad player.

D

Deleted member 15344

This argument where they won’t care is absolute nonsense, they are elite sportsmen, they are all pretty much rich as it is, there mindset is to go out and win every week, they will carry on doing what they do.
But golf is one of that sports where if you have one bad round you are out of contention, it doesn’t make you a bad player.

Do you think they care about winning the Portland or the Memorial ?

The London Invite or the PGA at Wentworth ?

When they tee off they will no doubt try and win but inbetween the events do you think they will be practicing every day ? Like you see most tour pros do ?

Do you think because they already have the big cheque in their pocket they will spend hours on the practise ground trying to hone their game ?

On the tour the players need to win comps to keep their career going , they need ranking points for entry into big events , they need to be constantly grinding away because if they don’t and form drops they won’t be getting paid - that’s not the same with the LIV tour - it is totally irrelevant how they perform , it doesn’t matter because they have been given more money than most will ever earn in Prize money

Mickleson is a combined 20 over in the two events so far - he still has a huge amount of money from it though - can you not see how that would affect people when the motivation to win is reduced

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Do you think they care about winning the Portland or the Memorial ?

The London Invite or the PGA at Wentworth ?

When they tee off they will no doubt try and win but inbetween the events do you think they will be practicing every day ? Like you see most tour pros do ?

Do you think because they already have the big cheque in their pocket they will spend hours on the practise ground trying to hone their game ?

On the tour the players need to win comps to keep their career going , they need ranking points for entry into big events , they need to be constantly grinding away because if they don’t and form drops they won’t be getting paid - that’s not the same with the LIV tour - it is totally irrelevant how they perform , it doesn’t matter because they have been given more money than most will ever earn in Prize money

Mickleson is a combined 20 over in the two events so far - he still has a huge amount of money from it though - can you not see how that would affect people when the motivation to win is reduced
Phil, I can follow that specifically for Mickleson - I suspect he was involved in this for many months before it actually happened. But you seem to be applying it to every player involved - I just can't see that for everyone.
For example, I posted may pages ago a statement from Justin Harding - he is in a very different position to Mickleson - would you acknowledge that?

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't think anybody is saying they don't want to win, or won't try to win.

Not every elite sportsman, whatever the sport, has the exact same attitude to practice. Some practice like there is no tomorrow, others not so much. The ones who do not practice so much will get so far with raw talent, which might be fine if they are particularly gifted. Sometimes sportspeople get a new drive, practice harder and can bring success. Other times, their focus drifts, they take their eye of the ball and their performances decline. Often, they are not necessarily actively deciding to practice less. It is just other things get in the way, they lose a bit of will power, etc.

I am absolutely sure that every LIV player will want to win every event they ever play. But, if this extra time off allows them to pursue other personal and business interests whilst not worrying about keeping their LIV Tour Card, then it is easy to see how they will certainly not "carry on doing what they do". One of the big reasons many admit to joining LIV is that the money and extra time off allow them to change the way they live their lives. I haven't heard any interviews, but I'm pretty sure few or none have said it will allow them to practice more?

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil, I can follow that specifically for Mickleson - I suspect he was involved in this for many months before it actually happened. But you seem to be applying it to every player involved - I just can't see that for everyone.
For example, I posted may pages ago a statement from Justin Harding - he is in a very different position to Mickleson - would you acknowledge that?

It will all be money based though

Doesn’t matter where Harding finishes he will earn more in a year than he ever does.

Coming last gives them £120k - even coming last in each event will earn them a cool million , more than he ever earned during their career

That’s why the players like Harding etc are going - they won’t earn that level of money on the main tours or majors - he could play like a weekend hacker for a couple of years and be set for life

He will no doubt try and win or play as well as he can but this tour will set people financially for life without doing the goods on the course

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Not every elite sportsman, whatever the sport, has the exact same attitude to practice. Some practice like there is no tomorrow, others not so much. The ones who do not practice so much will get so far with raw talent, which might be fine if they are particularly gifted. Sometimes sportspeople get a new drive, practice harder and can bring success. Other times, their focus drifts, they take their eye of the ball and their performances decline. Often, they are not necessarily actively deciding to practice less. It is just other things get in the way, they lose a bit of will power, etc.

I am absolutely sure that every LIV player will want to win every event they ever play. But, if this extra time off allows them to pursue other personal and business interests whilst not worrying about keeping their LIV Tour Card, then it is easy to see how they will certainly not "carry on doing what they do". One of the big reasons many admit to joining LIV is that the money and extra time off allow them to change the way they live their lives. I haven't heard any interviews, but I'm pretty sure few or none have said it will allow them to practice more?

I don’t think they will change the way they approach things, they’ll keep on doing what they do, that’s my approach though, unless we ask every player we will truly never know.
I think it’s clutching at straws to think otherwise.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Fair post. Suspect it may come down to individuals. Bryson strikes me as the type that if he played one comp a year would still spend many hours on the sim.
Is all speculation but maybe dropping children at school, practicing until collecting them, for a few days might be more productive than jumping on the jet for the next pre comp pro-am. Who knows, is a world I'm not familiar with ?

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
I would love it if Dustin Johnson won the Open…partly because I like him as a player and his talent ‘should’ have won more than 2 majors….

But I would also love it for the Lolz on this thread and in the media ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Even without MS you lot seem to be having a decent argument about it
Jeez

Can I argue with that point Your Fraggerness? ?. The recent posts are much more reasonable, with posters actually acknowledging the other’s view, rather than the deflection and finger pointing that has largely populated the thread when MS is about.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would love it if Dustin Johnson won the Open…partly because I like him as a player and his talent ‘should’ have won more than 2 majors….

It shouldn’t and won’t make any difference to peoples opinions - DJ was always the player that people highlighted as still being at the top of the game as he has shown over the years in any event - he will contend in any major he plays because he is that good

The results in The Open this week won’t have any bearing on what people think of the LIV Tour - just as if DJ didn’t win and someone from the other tours won - it wouldn’t be a endorsement of those tours - the major and even more so the Open transcends all the tours - hence why any player should be able to qualify ( certainly not banned )
Specially as he was being labelled as past it a few pages ago ?

I’m not sure if anyone has labelled DJ specifically a has been ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Specially as he was being labelled as past it a few pages ago ?

He was 1st or 2nd starting every event he played in 2021. and finished the year at 3rd. Now he is 18th.

In 2022, played 11 events, 3 top 10s, 3 MC, the best of the rest 12th at The Masters.

Not a player in form by any reasonable consideration. Doesn't mean he is past it, but the move to LIV Golf seems to make sense. Maybe he has lost his mojo or Paulina has told him to stay at home more.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Maybe that was what attracted him to LIV Golf, led by an underachiever who should have won more than 2 majors.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So winning 2 Majors is underachieving now, WOW ??
I bet 99% of players would take just one ??

I’m sure they would but I think the underachieving/overachieving comments are relative to ability.

There’s an argument that Paul Lawrie overachieved in winning one Major as did Andy North in winning his US Opens. Similarly that Greg Norman underachieved in the number of Majors won relative to his talent. That is not meant in any way disrespectfully to the players named, merely a comment on what they might have been expected to achieve relative to their perceived talent.