LIV Golf

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's so much a case of the PGA tour are a great organisation, which is beloved by those on the forum.
But I don't think it's as bad as is being made out by those who think the LIV tour is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I am neither of those (honestly really don't care either way from a golfing point of view, obviously have a view on the source of funding) . As an impartial observer, I can have seen the PGA assett strip the other global tours for the best golfers with the promise money, fame etc and can now see someone doing it to them and they do not like a taste of their own medicene. That said, until the other week, golf on TV was all behind a paywall and did not exist to me, now I get to watch come golf.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good question, but not one that I can answer as I’ve no experience in his line of work, I’d like to think that him and his board could off came up with something more constructive for the game of golf as a whole.
He’s paid to make tough decisions and to me what he has done is a cop out.

It comes up repeatedly. But why does anyone link the multibillion industry of elite professional golf tours as entertainment, with 'the game of golf as a whole' ?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
It comes up repeatedly. But why does anyone link the multibillion industry of elite professional golf tours as entertainment, with 'the game of golf as a whole' ?

Why do you think it’s not?
These are the people at the top of their chosen profession, surely they have an obligation do to what’s right for the game from grass roots up.

Swango1980

Visit site
These are the people at the top of their chosen profession, surely they have an obligation do to what’s right for the game from grass roots up.
Keith Pelley is CEO of the PGA European Tour. His responsibility is to them. The decision he made will not have been his alone. I am sure there have been plenty of discussions leading up to this announcement. Part of what Pelley said was:

"Every action anyone takes in life comes with a consequence and it is no different in professional sport, especially if a person chooses to break the rules. That is what has occurred here with several of our members.

Many members I have spoken to in recent weeks expressed the viewpoint that those who have chosen this route have not only disrespected them and our Tour, but also the meritocratic ecosystem of professional golf.

Their actions are not fair to the majority of our membership and undermine the Tour, which is why we are taking the action we have announced today."

Therefore, he and the European Tour have made their decision based on many discussions going on behind the scenes. I am sure they want to maintain a good relationship with the PGA Tour, with several co-sanctioned events. We've no idea what his long term vision is. But, maybe he sees a strengthening relationship with the PGA Tour an extremely positive thing for the European Tour, and sees no mileage with developing a good relationship with LIV at this time

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Leaving the Saudi aspect out of this I can honestly say the LIV series does nothing for me. I was quite happy as a golf fan with the product that was presented. I enjoy the big tournaments outside of the majors. I like the smaller events, mainly the early season tournaments that give new players a chance to make a name for themselves or get a breakthrough win.
The LIV series to me doesnt seem to grow the game at all. Quite the opposite in fact. It currently has some complete no names in the field but that isn't their aim. They want the 50 most popular players playing. Not even the best 50 or phil wouldn't be anywhere near it. Even at that, its then a closed shop. How can anyone strive to qualify to play in it. There is no competition. Watching the same 50 guys play over and over doesnt excite me one bit.
The 3 round shot gun start thing too doesnt do it for me. I have no desire to see a mutiscreen putt out to see who wins. It might be cool once or twice. I enjoy watching a tournament come to its conclusion. I dont want my attention being dragged in multiple differnt directions in a short space of time.
Constantly going on about a team thing for 3 days is unbelievably tiring. I've watched guys miss half million pound putts for years. I literally couldn't care about how 4 players are going to spit 750,000 dollars. To keep going on about it for 3 days straight is mind boggling. Even if it was for 10 million I wouldn't care one bit.

As a golf fan, I am struggling to see why anyone bar the player$ would be happy to see the game they love getting torn apart at a professional level.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, anyone know what the other obligations are to be a member of the PGA tour. Do you need to play a set number of events, play in certain events etc. Just interested if there are any other reasons people may be leaving aside from just the money. Once golfers have hit the top, do they want to be touring around the US week in, week out to fulfil tour obligations if there are any. I suspect quite a few would rather just enter the majors, a couple of events in the build up and enough to stay qualifies in teh rankings (bit like the Williams sisters in tennis). Not arguing one way or another, just trying to understand a bit more.
I don't know the full details, but there are a minimum number of events I think, and I'm sure they introduced a rule in the last year or so, where you have to play every event at least once every 3 years, so make sure all events get the top players etc.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They dont, no. They have an obligation to make money for their member professional golfers.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Non of what is happening is good for the future of the European Tour or whatever its called now.

Not really wanting to get into this thread but I don't understand the love for the PGA Tour after all it is taking all our best players over there.
ET/DP World Tour has always been primarily a development site with the best moving on to The PGA Tour for larger rewards playing the rest of the best in the world. Currently, LIV is simply a 'sports-washing' exercise with the initial participants 'bought' by a regime with virtually bottomless pockets.
The initial participants were always likely to be those looking for big rewards before retiring (even more) comfortably. A couple have been slight surprises, but absolutely huge sign-on fees probably/may have swayed them.

The biggest danger I can see for LIV is that it won't develop and will simply be ignored by the great unwashed public, thus becoming just an irrelevant expense for SA. I don't think it'll happen for a while, if at all, but loss of OWGR points will deter many players imo. With the 'closed shop' that exists in the group that decides allocating tours, I believe it'll be quite a struggle to get on the list. So, unless it evolves significantly to a proper Tour, it could become simply a more lucrative, earlier, version of The Senior Tour. And that, imo, would be a 'fail' for the exercise. The team format and shotgun starts are merely gimmicky 'differentiators' and will possibly be dropped in the future. It's Golf that attendees/audiences want to see - and the better the Golf, the more will want to see it. The PGA Tour, for all its selfishness, and Majors are the places to see the best golf now and I can't see that changing for some time.

D

Deleted member 15344

Forgive my cynicism, but after watching McGinley here, I cant help thinking the PGA Tour have learned on the DP World tour a little.
Funding for the Scottish Open purse coming from PGA links, and all of a sudden the LIV players are banned

And of course, McGinley has a vested interest in both tours.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...ions-were-inventible-something-had-to-be-done

The Scottish Open is a co-sanctioned event?‍♂️

So as the players are no longer PGA Members after being banned then why is it a shock that they are not able to play in it

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Forgive me if I’ve missed it, as I can’t be bothered reading all the posts.

But has Mel show any actual evidence that the management of the PGA Tour is corrupt?

D

Deleted member 3432

The Scottish Open is a co-sanctioned event?‍♂️

So as the players are no longer PGA Members after being banned then why is it a shock that they are not able to play in it

So the PGA Tour is calling the shots on what should be one of the Flag ship events on the European Tour?

European Tour really is in a bad position......

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
So the PGA Tour is calling the shots on what should be one of the Flag ship events on the European Tour?

The ET has been for 20 years. Is it really a surprise to anyone.

Other than a few marquee events, at best it’s at the same level as the Korn Ferry.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a co sanctioned event - if someone is banned from one of the tours they are ineligible to play ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 3432

It’s a co sanctioned event - if someone is banned from one of the tours they are ineligible to play ?‍♂️
Is it not strange they are okay to play this week on European Tour.......

Take your rose tainted spectacles off for a moment, PGA Tour is calling the shots here...

Besides I thought they had all resigned PGA Tour membership so it's nowt to do with them.

That's me on the subject, off to Scotland for the weekend :)