LIV Golf

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Personally I’ve written Mickelson off a handful of times eg crappy comments to Phil Price (before losing!), Shinnecock, The Match was horrific etc etc but keep coming back to quite liking him. He’s one of those mates you don’t really want to be mates with but wouldn’t mind a pint once in a blue moon. You wonder how many people have truly followed all this and that the more general public will lap him up again (if he gets to play Augusta/defend his PGA crown..)
His timing is horrific, you could argue his popularity has never been greater than last year with the PGA win and Tiger being out)

Hoganman1

Visit site
I used to really like Phil, but he's gone off the rails. I was shocked that he was actually willing to overlook all the terrible things the Saudis do to enrich himself. Then when he recieved pushback, his "apology" was an attempt to paint himself as a hero for his fellow PGA Tour members. It's a shame that he has totally destroyed his so carefully crafted legacy.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I’ve written Mickelson off a handful of times eg crappy comments to Phil Price (before losing!), Shinnecock, The Match was horrific etc etc but keep coming back to quite liking him. He’s one of those mates you don’t really want to be mates with but wouldn’t mind a pint once in a blue moon. You wonder how many people have truly followed all this and that the more general public will lap him up again (if he gets to play Augusta/defend his PGA crown..)
His timing is horrific, you could argue his popularity has never been greater than last year with the PGA win and Tiger being out)

I don't like him and haven't for a good while. I suspect he is someone for whom the saying 'everyone loves him, until they get to know him' applies.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've never been a fan, he plays some astonishing shots but his creepy cap-peak touch to acknowledge the applause really grates with me, and that's the totally illogical reason that I don't like him.
I think what winds me up a little is how the US pundits on PGA Tour seem to absolutely adore him, and love to tell the whole world what a great guy he is. How he signs so many autographs. So what, I'm sure many players do. However, I'm sure they kept bringing that up, knowing Tiger probably didn't spend so much time doing autographs, so that they could manufacture a rivalry between them both.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Malice and stupidity are easily confused. I’m not sure what I think about Phil.

I’ve never liked him all that much but out of all the tour players I’ve ever met in the flesh he’s the only one who stopped to say thanks when we wished him a good game. Seemed like a nice guy, maybe he’s just a bit dim and he gets badly advised.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Malice and stupidity are easily confused. I’m not sure what I think about Phil.

I’ve never liked him all that much but out of all the tour players I’ve ever met in the flesh he’s the only one who stopped to say thanks when we wished him a good game. Seemed like a nice guy, maybe he’s just a bit dim and he gets badly advised.

Yes, strikes me that he’s got a valid axe to grind with the tour, but he’s getting into bed with the devil with the Saudi thing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don’t have an issue with the challenge to the PGA tour, the Saudi element is the problem.

Norman / mickleson or whoever else might well have valid points, but I don’t listen to them because of the challenger is even more abhorrent (by an exponential multiple).
Agreed!
Norman certainly seems to have a valid point imo. Commissioner's rant seemed like classic restriction of trade admission to me. The apparent additional $100M of funding magically appearing (from an $800M reserve) seems dodgy too!
It's only the Saudi element that puts me off.
To me, even though there's a lot to dislike about the guy, Mickelson's rant was entirely justified!

4LEX

Visit site

That is utterly embarrassing and sounds like a 12 year old has written it. Far from running scared, I suspect the PGA Tour will be laughing their heads off. They've got it locked down for another decade minimum. All Norman has done is mess up their one and only chance.

I wonder whether they'll invest in the future stars and get them onboard early or stick with washed up has beens....

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg Norman is a big friend of Trump. There are plans to put some of these events on Trump courses. Trump has a beef with the PGA Tour since they moved an event from Doral after he said some stuff of a rather suspect nature. Trump is also friendly with some dodgy monied foreign elements. This is not a play to liberate players from the grasp of the PGA Tour. The whole thing stinks and only players whose PGA tour career is in decline will contemplate this.

AussieKB

Visit site
Norman is also friends with Clinton, so what does that prove ? I would love to see the pro's play at Doral and Cypress Point plus othergreat courses but the Woke PGA are against that, about time someone shook them up a a bit.

The Caddy's cannot wear advertising other than the pro they are working for, must wear bib provided by PGA, keep saying they are private contractors till it goes against PGA belief.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Norman is also friends with Clinton, so what does that prove ? I would love to see the pro's play at Doral and Cypress Point plus othergreat courses but the Woke PGA are against that, about time someone shook them up a a bit.

The Caddy's cannot wear advertising other than the pro they are working for, must wear bib provided by PGA, keep saying they are private contractors till it goes against PGA belief.

Clinton doesn't own any golf courses nor was he rebuffed by the PGA Tour, so utterly irrelevant.

"The Woke PGA". You must be joking.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Caddy's cannot wear advertising other than the pro they are working for...
Demonstrably wrong! Steve Williams wore his sponsor's logo (Valvoline) many times while caddying for both Woods and Adam Scott
Cypress Point was dropped from PGA Tour because its membership clashed with PGA Tour's anti-discrimination policy.

Last edited:

AussieKB

Visit site
Demonstrably wrong! Steve Williams wore his sponsor's logo (Valvoline) many times while caddying for both Woods and Adam Scott
Cypress Point was dropped from PGA Tour because its membership clashed with PGA Tour's anti-discrimination policy.
They dropped Cypress Point because they did not have a black member, there response was they can go on the waiting list like everyone else, 9 year wait....

Since then, they do have black members, Condy Rice for one, but they are in no hurry to host an event.
This past week at Pebble Beach a lot of the star pro's went and played Cypress Point and quite a few of the celebs are Members there, so why haven't the PGA sanctioned them ? just a WOKE organisation.

So who misses out ? the Pro's because they rate the course highly (rated No.2 in US) and general public seeing a great course.

As for Steve Williams you should remember that after Tigger holed the last putt to win another tournament he would rip the bib off on the green after replacing the flag.