LIV Golf

MikeF86

Visit site
Can't stand the bloke. Also came across (to me anyway) as selfish & egotistical. Chatting in a whatapp group about it yesterday and I found some messages from last year where i'd say he was my least liked golfer. Had his head turned by money when he's in a position to not need anymore. His 'apology' is just to try and save face which won't work. Loved how Rory ripped into him too.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A slight tangent from the Phil discussion, but I seem to remember that Shipnuck has history wrt taking off-the-record/overheard comments and stitching people up. There's something a bit smelly about him. Could just be that if you're an investigative hack you don't end up with many friends I guess.
This is not intended as a defence of Phil btw!

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Irrespective of anything else, I would be happy to see the current iteration of the PGA Tour taken down a peg or two. Would it not be desirable to see golf be like the ATP Tennis tour, which, relative to golf is truly global?

Instead of all its events in the US, wouldn’t it be good to see a few in Europe, SE Asia, Japan, Middle East as well as Mexico and North America. The Asian Tour, European Tour, and US Tour (Korn Ferry) could be feeder tours for the global PGA Tour

Obvs never going to happen!

Selfishly, I'm quite happy with the events being 100% in America. Means it's on TV in the evening. Golf tournaments in europe, I'm at work, and in asia I'm asleep. If I'm not watching it, its has literally no meaning to me....

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
'Stepping away from the game' is most likely code similar to DJs stepping away a few years back - everyone knew it was a sanction, just no-one officially said it.

There was an inevitability to this statement given how candid the pros were with their comments at the Genesis, people like Thomas surprised me and the repetition of certain words (egotistical) would indicate there had been behind the scenes discussion with the PGA essentially co-coordinating a strong public front. Have to say, a great strategic move.

Couple of things standout though, he remains like Madrid or Juventus from the football Super League, offering to keep his toe in whilst at the same time suggesting it was for the good of the game and to stimulate change for the benefit of the players. In terms of sanctions, I'd like to know what rules he broke (Disrepute?)

Coming out of it, the PGA looks stronger than ever, not so sure about the European Tour. Commercially, and I know sponsors have left Phil, but the comeback will be bigger than the set back and milked by all parties. Would not surprise me if he has a 3 month sanction, lifted just in time for participation at the US Open with a chance at redemption in the form of completing the clean sweep.

Swango1980

Visit site
I never really understand the media furore in such things, and the idea a golfer has to step away from the game to reflect on his behaviour. At the end of the day, he voiced his opinion at the time, lots of people didn't like it. Fair enough. However, he can stand by it, or he can apologise and/or say it was taken out of context, and thus clarify his position. He has done that. So, why not just get on with things? Stepping away from the game just intensifies it further.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A slight tangent from the Phil discussion, but I seem to remember that Shipnuck has history wrt taking off-the-record/overheard comments and stitching people up. There's something a bit smelly about him. Could just be that if you're an investigative hack you don't end up with many friends I guess.
This is not intended as a defence of Phil btw!

I think he's willing to not sit on the fence and print a story even if not popular.

He had the pushback from the Euro team regarding his bad take on US dominating the Ryder Cup before Paris, but generally on twitter the comments from other journalists say he's pretty meticulous on approach. Sounds to me that he'll be releasing confirmation that Phil clearly new it wasn't off the record.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think he's willing to not sit on the fence and print a story even if not popular.

He had the pushback from the Euro team regarding his bad take on US dominating the Ryder Cup before Paris, but generally on twitter the comments from other journalists say he's pretty meticulous on approach. Sounds to me that he'll be releasing confirmation that Phil clearly new it wasn't off the record.
Fair enough. It wasn't the Ryder cup thing I was thinking of. But what with recent events and that as well, searching the internet with his name is not helpful.
Unlike him, I'm just going on fading memory of an unverified source... not quite sure that meets any particular journo standards!

The Fader

Visit site
Whilst he (as have all pro's) benefitted financially from "The Tiger Effect" IMO he in his own mind suffered greatly. In any other era he would have been the main man, the world's best.

The only thing he has over Tiger - is oldest major winner and keeping that title is by no means certain.

I don't think he ever came to terms with that and this has led to his ever more erratic behaviour in recent years. Couple that with his gambling instincts and his inherent greed - its a dangerous mix.

But in all this, I do wonder whether he is over-valuing this media rights and has burnt his reputation and legacy on a false premise? Is there actually a vibrant market for Golfing NFT'S?

I think the PGA tour is very much a case of the sum being greater than all the parts. They shouldn't forget this and all the other cases on his rap sheet (especially the unnecessary public slating of Tom Watson) and should tell him to take the Saudi money, if it's still available. But they won't unfortunately.

The biggest public sanction he will get will be being overlooked for the Ryder Cup captaincy.

Terrific golfer, badly flawed human being.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Whilst he (as have all pro's) benefitted financially from "The Tiger Effect" IMO he in his own mind suffered greatly. In any other era he would have been the main man, the world's best.

The only thing he has over Tiger - is oldest major winner and keeping that title is by no means certain.

I don't think he ever came to terms with that and this has led to his ever more erratic behaviour in recent years. Couple that with his gambling instincts and his inherent greed - its a dangerous mix.

But in all this, I do wonder whether he is over-valuing this media rights and has burnt his reputation and legacy on a false premise? Is there actually a vibrant market for Golfing NFT'S?

I think the PGA tour is very much a case of the sum being greater than all the parts. They shouldn't forget this and all the other cases on his rap sheet (especially the unnecessary public slating of Tom Watson) and should tell him to take the Saudi money, if it's still available. But they won't unfortunately.

The biggest public sanction he will get will be being overlooked for the Ryder Cup captaincy.

Terrific golfer, badly flawed human being.

20 billion in digital assets! 20 billion man he's off his rocker

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
He has bit the hand that has fed him for many a year. He never engaged his brain before he opened his cakehole. His loss to the PGA tour is the PGAs gain. He will not be missed.

evemccc

Visit site
So apart from DJ and Bryson pledging allegiance to the PGA Tour, what has actually been said or has happened to make the whole SGL a non-starter?

Has Greg Norman or whoever is headed this thing said anything to admit defeat? And has PM decided to stick with the PGA Tour for definite (post-suspension)?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So apart from DJ and Bryson pledging allegiance to the PGA Tour, what has actually been said or has happened to make the whole SGL a non-starter?

Has Greg Norman or whoever is headed this thing said anything to admit defeat? And has PM decided to stick with the PGA Tour for definite (post-suspension)?
What I will find interesting is how other pros that are thinking of joining will view the backlash of what Phil is getting.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

Bryson's statement was a little bit non-committal when you really analyse it, but let's put that to one side right now.

There was a lot of talk about the SGL announcing all of their grand plans once they had 20 golfers signed up to it. Just over a week ago now, they hit that magic number and were ready to go, but then Shipnuck released the quotes from Mickleson. Those quotes were actually on a phone conversation from back in November.

So it looks like Shipnuck was waiting on the perfect time to drop this bomb, and decided to do it before the official SGL coming out party... It's certainly been effective for publicising his book, but also in stopping the SGL in their tracks.

Based on what was said, it looks like at the very least DJ and BDC decided not to jump ship, and maybe Phil was even told that he wasn't wanted any longer by the SGL? I cannot imagine that Saudi leaders would be happy with him being involved now.

This whole saga has had more twists and turns than an episode of Breaking Bad.

But is it over? Maybe for now. But if thee SGL really had 20 players signed up, and we'll take it that DJ, BDC, and Phil were 3 of them, what about the other 17 guys? Are they just going to quietly forget about it all and hope that everyone else does too?