LIV Golf

Fore Right

Visit site
Great to see the PGA give out these invitations.
Pressure is on Gooch to give a good account of himself though given all the attention.

Liv Golfers have won 44% of majors since 2010

C7usk

Visit site
Witb the OWGR out of whack, Liv Golfers starting to get invites to majors

Glad Niemann is playing. He is a quality golfer. Not personally fussed about Gooch... At least Puig has tried to get ranking points so fair play to him..

Fore Right

Visit site
As time has passed, Liv has become more accepted as part of the pro golf eco system and with a merger seeming further away than ever its inevitable considering some of the players Liv has now that a pathway will be found at some point.

Until then I think we will see special invitations used by the majors where they can.

The full list of Liv special invites for next weeks USPGA is
Dean Burmester (Stinger GC), Talor Gooch (Smash GC), Lucas Herbert (Ripper GC), Adrian Meronk (Cleeks GC), Joaquin Niemann (Torque GC), David Puig (Fireballs GC) and Patrick Reed (4Aces GC)

C7usk

Visit site
As time has passed, Liv has become more accepted as part of the pro golf eco system and with a merger seeming further away than ever its inevitable considering some of the players Liv has now that a pathway will be found at some point.

Until then I think we will see special invitations used by the majors where they can.

The full list of Liv special invites for next weeks USPGA is
Dean Burmester (Stinger GC), Talor Gooch (Smash GC), Lucas Herbert (Ripper GC), Adrian Meronk (Cleeks GC), Joaquin Niemann (Torque GC), David Puig (Fireballs GC) and Patrick Reed (4Aces GC)
Good to see.. Hopefully stops too much complaining about the lack of Liv players at the event... I like how you felt the need to put their team names in.. 😉.. The USPGA is my least favourite major but I'm starting to look forward to it already for a change.

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
Good to see.. Hopefully stops too much complaining about the lack of Liv players at the event... I like how you felt the need to put their team names in.. 😉.. The USPGA is my least favourite major but I'm starting to look forward to it already for a change.
Looks like advertising doesn’t it?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
😆 yep the teams names are irrelevant for that week.
Likely a smart move by the US PGA organisers, I suspect you aren't alone with your thinking - it'll certainly give the media something to stir up - some faux rivalry etc.

Fore Right

Visit site
TBH I just copy and pasted it from the Liv website

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
(For the first time) I actually have some sympathy for Rory and how he’s being treated by the Americans (& I’ll call them that rather than the PGAT because Rory & many nationalities are part of the pgat, but it seems to be an American element most against any conflict resolution)

Seems, perhaps not surprisingly, the Americans want to keep the dominance/alpha position and are least likely to make concessions. Is it just big business or maybe cultural? Either way looks like it’ll rumble on for some time

Fore Right

Visit site
(For the first time) I actually have some sympathy for Rory and how he’s being treated by the Americans (& I’ll call them that rather than the PGAT because Rory & many nationalities are part of the pgat, but it seems to be an American element most against any conflict resolution)

Seems, perhaps not surprisingly, the Americans want to keep the dominance/alpha position and are least likely to make concessions. Is it just big business or maybe cultural? Either way looks like it’ll rumble on for some time
I think the conflict is obvious.

Rory is pushing for a merger and develop a world tour.

The policy board of American golfers have little appetite for a merger and want PGAT events to stay in the USA.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

The policy board of American golfers have little appetite for a merger and want PGAT events to stay in the USA.

If they maintain that position, the PGAT will become a support tour to the inevitable evolution of pro golf that supports an international schedule - LIV or otherwise.

I get the feeling that the PIF are happy to take their time, and see each hand as the PGAT play it - right now they look like they are fractured and divided and negotiating on the hoof.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Think the clue is in the name of the tour - it’s a US Tour , their market is the US , that’s where their viewers are , they won’t put on events when their market is fast asleep

The World Tour idea needs huge markets across multiple areas and those markets are not there

Australia is a decent market , Europe is ok , US is huge

But looking at any event in other areas - Africa , China , Middle East etc are very thin and wouldn’t be able to sustain any significant huge market

The DP tour goes all over the world and the impact is small , the crowds are small in a lot of areas. Liv going to Middle East , Far East also showing small crowds

If there is to be a world tour then its needs huge levels of sponsorship

The US Corporate area which has for years financially supported the professional world won’t want to throw money at events that won’t be seen by their market

The WGCs showed that it’s a struggle

And then there are the players - how many with families want to travel all over the world - there aren’t many sports where the participants with families compete all over the world

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Think the clue is in the name of the tour - it’s a US Tour , their market is the US , that’s where their viewers are , they won’t put on events when their market is fast asleep

The World Tour idea needs huge markets across multiple areas and those markets are not there

Australia is a decent market , Europe is ok , US is huge

But looking at any event in other areas - Africa , China , Middle East etc are very thin and wouldn’t be able to sustain any significant huge market

The DP tour goes all over the world and the impact is small , the crowds are small in a lot of areas. Liv going to Middle East , Far East also showing small crowds

If there is to be a world tour then its needs huge levels of sponsorship

The US Corporate area which has for years financially supported the professional world won’t want to throw money at events that won’t be seen by their market

The WGCs showed that it’s a struggle

And then there are the players - how many with families want to travel all over the world - there aren’t many sports where the participants with families compete all over the world
Hard to disagree with the sentiment of any of this, although fundamentally I think a change is needed as arguably the innovations by the PGAT haven't gripped viewers or sponsors and the SIF will want returns regardless. I would say the PGATs 'mission' is to bring the best players to a worldwide audience, but evidently this doesn't mean in person.

Marketed correctly, a world tour with the actual best players surely has an appeal? Out of 14 events you could easily put together a schedule to satisfy everyone - even if that means 7 are on US soil for example. US Corporations are no longer willing to throw money at the PGAT and their 2 tiered system; that landscape is changing. LIV is really an organization in it's infancy, lots of money but yet to establish substance - it's immediate ambitions were really far to lofty to be successful, but it is experiencing a slower growth and acceptance. The PGAT didn't learn from LIVs mistake - the changes were too rapid, reactive and not thought through; it had a perch to fall from and that is what is happening. Divisions amongst the players; in the policy board; Jay remaining in a job, viewing figures, etc. Fans just find it unpalatable (It is true that those same fans also find the LIV money / defection and the Saudi influence unpalatable so LIVs expected audience share of 'golf' fan never materialized, but it has found a different sub-set, from a much lower base, but it is growing; conversely, the PGAT is losing fans (Tiger decline?) and struggling to find 'new' fans).

I also have an issue about players who don't want to travel the world. All other sports that are 'tour' based have to do it - tennis & formula 1 for example - so I don't think that should be an issue in dictating what happens. Really, that shouldn't be a decision for the players - either you want to play this tour or you don't.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Hard to disagree with the sentiment of any of this, although fundamentally I think a change is needed as arguably the innovations by the PGAT haven't gripped viewers or sponsors and the SIF will want returns regardless. I would say the PGATs 'mission' is to bring the best players to a worldwide audience, but evidently this doesn't mean in person.

Marketed correctly, a world tour with the actual best players surely has an appeal? Out of 14 events you could easily put together a schedule to satisfy everyone - even if that means 7 are on US soil for example. US Corporations are no longer willing to throw money at the PGAT and their 2 tiered system; that landscape is changing. LIV is really an organization in it's infancy, lots of money but yet to establish substance - it's immediate ambitions were really far to lofty to be successful, but it is experiencing a slower growth and acceptance. The PGAT didn't learn from LIVs mistake - the changes were too rapid, reactive and not thought through; it had a perch to fall from and that is what is happening. Divisions amongst the players; in the policy board; Jay remaining in a job, viewing figures, etc. Fans just find it unpalatable (It is true that those same fans also find the LIV money / defection and the Saudi influence unpalatable so LIVs expected audience share of 'golf' fan never materialized, but it has found a different sub-set, from a much lower base, but it is growing; conversely, the PGAT is losing fans (Tiger decline?) and struggling to find 'new' fans).

I also have an issue about players who don't want to travel the world. All other sports that are 'tour' based have to do it - tennis & formula 1 for example - so I don't think that should be an issue in dictating what happens. Really, that shouldn't be a decision for the players - either you want to play this tour or you don't.

Can’t disagree with what you’re saying

But I think the problem with world events is sustainability- especially at the level of money that’s been thrown at the players currently by LIV and PGAT

Need to find a lot of sponsers to make it sustainable and then also media rights , they are huge for the US tour - those companies pay a lot of money to broadcast events. Needs a lot of clever contracts to wrap them up

And whilst I agree that players should be ok playing around the world in the same way as tennis players or F1 but a lot of those top players in those sports are still single lads without families etc - most of the top guys in golf - all married etc

What IMO should happen is some events in - Africa , Europe , Asia and Aus - maybe 2 each - where the top 70 are invited and play for big money

Then you have the four majors , then the relevant tours

But those top 70 also have inclusions of say the top 10 from each tour