LIV Golf

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've had it on in the background since it started. When I heard the PGA Tour was being streamed I was tempted to turn over, but then I thought about the 10 shots per hour they generally show during the early coverage which usually leaves me free to watch Idris Elba telling me how much I need Sky Movies. I didn't bother and stayed with LIV.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope, still not interested. If they've got over 50% of the top 20 or 50 in the world rankings playing then I will probably give it a watch if I've got nothing else on (which is the same attitude I have with any regular PGA tour event - if I'm at home and it's on then I might watch it but I won't be setting an alarm or turning down other things purely to watch it). Other than that to me it would be like popping down to watch Grimsby v Chesterfield in the Vanarama National League. I've got no connection to either team and I'm clearly not watching the best players in the world so why am I watching when I've got many better things I could be doing.

Yet now their banned and can't get points thus can't go up the Rankings does that not make the world rankings flawed as it doesn't include some of the best players in the world.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The leader board up the side is awful. It looks like they have borrowed it from NASCAR. Does it really need to make a noise every time it changes.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
….does that not make the world rankings flawed as it doesn't include some of the best players in the world.
Depends if you think the world rankings system was accurate in the first place. Like all ‘rankings’ it’s based on certain criteria which I can guarantee won’t have unanimous approval on here.I find it hard to believe Scottie S is the best player in the world, but according to the rankings he currently is. I think all the top players go in and out of form, the same way we have purple patches with our handicaps. The main impact on the world rankings is that numbers will be skewed and could exclude a new, upcoming player who has chosen LIV over established tours, but he presumably knew the risk before he signed up.

Swango1980

Visit site
In my opinion:

Positives:

Easy access for people to watch for free, and can watch on TV, Laptop, tablet or phone easier I guess.

Fair weather conditions for players with shotgun start, again doesn't impact me.

For me, that is it really, at the moment.

Negatives

Too many golf shots, especially from unknowns. I know some like this, but I don't really have much interest in them to care. Probably a reason we see little golf of the minor players on PGA Tour, unless they get into a decent position.

Feels like a highlights program. Sort of hard to follow the progress of the leaders, or provide any build up to the difficulties they are about to face. Maybe that will change by Day 3 when leaderboard takes shape.

Quality of field is just like, or worse than regular PGA event. I don't watch regular events for this reason, so probably similar with this once novelty wears off. The money is great for players, but doesn't motivate me as a fan to watch.

Even if all best players do play, what will the importance of it be? It won't have the esteem of Majors or WGCs, so would it still feel like a friendly football match to the fans?

Team element is rubbish. No interest.

Other minor things, like silly sounds of leaderboard and found it impossible to find a full leaderboard anywhere online.

Summary:

I think a lot of changes will still be needed to get fans properly on board with it. And PGA Tour will do their best to provide a major obstacle (I see their point of view). If more big players come across, presumably there is a limit to field size due to shotgun starts and prize money distribution. So, I wonder how they deal with that? Kick out lesser known players who supported them from the start?

The most captivating part of it all is the politics of it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Will be interesting to see the response from the DP World Tour. Eddie Pepperall was on the radio this morning and said that this would quite possibly "leave the DP Tour fighting for its life". I can't imagine they have much wriggle room due to their relationship with the PGA Tour.
LIV is no threat to the World Tour at all. It is going for the highest level players that the World Tour isn't really fishing in anyway. The European players that will make LIV level are only occasional Euro Tour gamers anyway. Its the PGA Tour that is being torpedoed here.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The PGA tour don’t run the US Open.
He won’t get any FedEx points and it won’t really effect the PGA tour.
It certainly would affect the PGA. Major winners - the guys who are the real draw in pro golf - missing from them will be very sore. And an undeniable downgrade to their offering. Over the hill major winners don't really matter. Phil. But a freshly minted major holder not being in their fold? Ouch !!!!

Last edited:

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
PGA Tour have acted quickly as expected by suspending the players connected to them. DP World Tour have so far remained silent and refused to make any comment. Isn't that a little strange, given the close ties that are supposed to exist between both entities? If I were world ranked 330 loyally playing in Sweden today, I might feel concerned that those DP Tour members who have taken the money will bank at least 120k and be eligible for the next tournament.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
PGA Tour have acted quickly as expected by suspending the players connected to them. DP World Tour have so far remained silent and refused to make any comment. Isn't that a little strange, given the close ties that are supposed to exist between both entities? If I were world ranked 330 loyally playing in Sweden today, I might feel concerned that those DP Tour members who have taken the money will bank at least 120k and be eligible for the next tournament.

How many of those players in Sweden turned down the opportunity to play in the LIV series - there will be a few.

D

Deleted member 1147

It certainly would affect the PGA. Major winners - the guys who are the real draw in pro golf - missing from them will be very sore. And an undeniable downgrade to their offering. Over the hill major winners don't really matter. Phil. But a freshly minted major hold not being in their fold? Ouch !!!!
How many potential major winners are playing LIV?
DJ, Louis? That’s about it, the rest are nobody or has been.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Heard a couple of serious observers of the game on it today, and dress it up how LIV might, each identified the failure to nail a reputable broadcaster as their biggest failure. Youtube is a not wanted damage limitation action and they are desperate to jump to the mainstream sport media. Media companies not willing to risk controversy or relations with the established tours at the moment apparently until they see how it plays out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard a couple of serious observers of the game on it today, and dress it up how LIV might, each identified the failure to nail a reputable broadcaster as their biggest failure. Youtube is a not wanted damage limitation action and they are desperate to jump to the mainstream sport media. Media companies not willing to risk controversy or relations with the established tours at the moment apparently until they see how it plays out.

Isn't it only on the YouTube in the UK? Who had it in the USA?