LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What channel is the LIV event on again ?

Was great watching Rory last night and some other great golf during the day on Sky Golf

I’ll look out for the LIV golf on Sky Golf to see if it matches anyway near the same level of heartbreak , drama and world class golf

It's on loads of channels globally, or You Tube in the UK/USA. You can even get You Tube to work on your television set, if you need the comfort of your regular armchair to enhance the viewing experience. ;-)

birdyhunter

Visit site
What channel is the LIV event on again ?

Was great watching Rory last night and some other great golf during the day on Sky Golf

I’ll look out for the LIV golf on Sky Golf to see if it matches anyway near the same level of heartbreak , drama and world class golf

Lets' face it, watching LIV online and the uber-dull presenters trying to get excited about hasbeen players and the team event is like watching grass grow. Sky is so much better.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's on loads of channels globally, or You Tube in the UK/USA. You can even get You Tube to work on your television set, if you need the comfort of your regular armchair to enhance the viewing experience. ;-)

So it’s not on Sky golf then or any other other major media outlets ?‍♂️
But Sky has Paul McGinley ?

That’s a very fair point - but I think he doesn’t seem to be around as much ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So it’s not on Sky golf then or any other other major media outlets ?‍♂️

Neither was the start of the final round of the CJ Cup yesterday for the leaders, and Phil, You Tube is a major media outlet, infact I'd guess it absolutely buries sky across the board on daily views. One Billion hours a day, I doubt Sky is getting anything close to that.

That doesn't remove the fact that LIV won't benefit from having a TV deal in place when it happens of course.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not quite sure what to post where these days, this fits into the general changes in professional golf rather than liv specifically. Still it may make a change from the "déjà vu" posts that are back ;)

Relates to the somewhat opaque world of owgr:

2021 Zozo championship - top 47 players received ranking points
2021 CJ Cup - top 58 players received ranking points

2022 Zozo championship - all 78 players received ranking points
2022 CJ Cup - all 78 players received ranking points

I conclude that the rules must have changed in the August 2022 changes but don't recall it being mentioned, did anyone else?

The whole cut piece has had loads of airtime of late. I don't really think it is of much relevance, suspect it started out as a way of reducing how many players are paid, to increase to top places - but this is less relevant these days. I am actually for all competitors being paid, but I don't agree with giving out ranking points to every player. That feels wrong to me.
Any ideas for reasons for the change?
Perhaps couldn't agree on the algorithm to use or something...

Swango1980

Visit site
Neither was the start of the final round of the CJ Cup yesterday for the leaders, and Phil, You Tube is a major media outlet, infact I'd guess it absolutely buries sky across the board on daily views. One Billion hours a day, I doubt Sky is getting anything close to that.

That doesn't remove the fact that LIV won't benefit from having a TV deal in place when it happens of course.
You tries to do a good job of bigging up youtube, before acknowledging LIV will get a TV deal in due course.

One would think you are trying to keep all angles covered. :)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not quite sure what to post where these days, this fits into the general changes in professional golf rather than liv specifically. Still it may make a change from the "déjà vu" posts that are back ;)

I conclude that the rules must have changed in the August 2022 changes but don't recall it being mentioned, did anyone else?

The whole cut piece has had loads of airtime of late. I don't really think it is of much relevance, suspect it started out as a way of reducing how many players are paid, to increase to top places - but this is less relevant these days. I am actually for all competitors being paid, but I don't agree with giving out ranking points to every player. That feels wrong to me.

The rules now state that all players that make the cut and complete the event will receive points, so if there's no cut, then I guess they are all getting points.
No idea why the change though.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to say this talk about ‘has been’ players, ‘third rate’ players etc has got to stop, on which ever tour, these players are the best in the world, on their weeks could probably win any event.
It may just be an opinion but it makes you look like a clueless idiot.
Like any job their is up’s and down’s.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Right now, Otaegui would be in a place to get a PGA Tour card with the new arrangement with the DP World Tour if it was in place. If he'd never played on LIV, he would be being heralded as an exciting prospect - but as we saw the other week, it nearly choked the DP Tour to even mention him until the final round - despite his record breaking scores.
Chacarra another one who has shown a lot of ability.
Kaewkanjana - but for one bad round would have been top 10 at The Open

These lads are definitely not has beens.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

The metric and criteria changed to better reflect individuals and tournaments - I posted a link many pages ago.... supposedly more 'fair' and endorsed by the PGAT. It was agreed in 2021 and is in action as you say from August 2022. The Stoke Gains World Ranking is touted as identifying the best player in the world using actual strokes in tournaments... basically, McIlroy has been the best player in the world since before August (accurate, but only now hit no. 1); Cam Smith has been the 2nd best player in the world for a while (also accurate) whilst Shuffler has (despite being World no. 1) not been the best player in the world for quite a bit of time (currently 5th or 6th I think).

D

Deleted member 15344

There is also a good number of players who are at the tail end of the career and some who haven’t have much of a career

Just look at some of players rankings when they moved over

Perez - 181
Howell - 210
Uihlein - 300
Chase Koepka - 1300
Morgan - 300 plus
McDowell - 326
Ormsby - 300

So yes there is a lot of players at the end of their career , some that didn’t really get a career and some that were journeymen

With the added current top players of which there are 3/4

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Got to say this talk about ‘has been’ players, ‘third rate’ players etc has got to stop, on which ever tour, these players are the best in the world, on their weeks could probably win any event.

Really? Can't see the likes of Poulter, Westwood, Horsfield, (and thats's just the Brits, I could add many others from the table above) to name a few, being likely to be in contention to win if they had remained on the PGA tour. Even they can't think that otherwise they would have stayed. A lot of them have clearly migrated to LIV for that very reason.....easy money given they can't compete elsewhere.

I get there are a handful of LIV golfers who fit your description, but to say all the LIV golfers could win on the PGA tour is just crazy.

D

Deleted member 1418

Really? Can't see the likes of Poulter, Westwood, Horsfield, (and thats's just the Brits, I could add many others from the table above) to name a few, being likely to be in contention to win if they had remained on the PGA tour. Even they can't think that otherwise they would have stayed. A lot of them have clearly migrated to LIV for that very reason.....easy money given they can't compete elsewhere.

I get there are a handful of LIV golfers who fit your description, but to say all the LIV golfers could win on the PGA tour is just crazy.

Agree.

You could also argue there are a fair few on the LIV tour that can't actually win on that tour either, even with the no cut and limited fields!!! ;):D

Swango1980

Visit site
It may just be an opinion but it makes you look like a clueless idiot.
Like any job their is up’s and down’s.
Clueless idiots? That is a big accusation, when the debate you are having isn't one that anyone is really having? I didn't think anyone is saying 100% or golfers in LIV are 3rd rate or has beens?

However, when talking about the tour generally, it is a fair comment. If Cameron Smith and Brooks Koepka were to play in my monthly medal, it would still be fair to say that from a viewers perspective, it is still a 3rd rate (100th rate) competition based on quality of field.