LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
There seems to be a pattern forming when it comes to the “rumours” being posted on social media

Whenever there is a major golf event that doesn’t involve LIV that’s when they start , it’s almost as if trying to keep LIV relevant when they don’t have an event on , happened at The Open , then the Fed Ex , etc and it was no surprise as soon as the PGA finished the “rumours” started again . The focus most of the time when it comes to LIV is more about what golfers they are trying to buy away as opposed to the actual golf - the rumour started on Twitter ( by your standard LIV’ers ) as a Top 10 player and then everyone’s ( other LIV’ers) imagination goes wild and it’s mainly the same names - Cantlay , Schuaffle, Hovland and Rahm.

Its imo LIV trying to keep up the relevance when the other tours are playing - right now if they are golf fans then it should be about the great play and finish at Wentworth
Agree on rumours. To be fair though I'm not sure they needed to keep liv in the news with the volume of liv references from those who aren’t actually part if it.
Maybe some of it is PIP driven, but do wonder if some will look back and wonder if they could have achieved more by staying more silent, and keeping it out of the headlines?
Perhaps seem less hypercritical also maybe. ?

RichA

Visit site

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It reads like a biased bit of tabloidy-style propaganda, aimed at widening the division. Other news reports I've read suggested that there wasn't any hostility to the LIV guys and the likes of Westwood and Poulter were treated by the public exactly the same as usual.
Agree on the treated by majority of public bit, but I read the article as more about players to players & administrators to players - and it may have a point...

evemccc

Visit site
It reads like a biased bit of tabloidy-style propaganda, aimed at widening the division. Other news reports I've read suggested that there wasn't any hostility to the LIV guys and the likes of Westwood and Poulter were treated by the public exactly the same as usual.

Really?
Propaganda merely because you don’t agree with it? Which bits, specifically, do you think is not merely interpretation of events / opinion, but propaganda?

I think the article is a bit overblown slightly with the length of ‘service’ given by players (seems like they’re doing it from their benevolent heart..) but I agree in the main with the points he’s making

The division is surely exacerbated by the somewhat sarcastic childish jibes from Rory, Lowry, Horschel etc

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A newspaper article has zero influence on what players on either side thing about the matter or the level of division between them. The amount of the exchange between the players that is in the public sphere for journalists to write about is an insignificant fraction of the exchange that has really taken place.

RichA

Visit site
Really?
Propaganda merely because you don’t agree with it? Which bits, specifically, do you think is not merely interpretation of events / opinion, but propaganda?

I think the article is a bit overblown slightly with the length of ‘service’ given by players (seems like they’re doing it from their benevolent heart..) but I agree in the main with the points he’s making

The division is surely exacerbated by the somewhat sarcastic childish jibes from Rory, Lowry, Horschel etc
Propaganda in the way that it's written from a biased perspective. Like when I read my Dad's Telegraph or flick through a Guardian at a mate's house. I like my news to be neutral and that article clearly wasn't.
Aside from disliking the regime that is funding it, I'm not anti-LIV. I don't care or know enough about pro golf to have much of an opinion. I just find this thread fascinating because people seem to care so much about something that has so little impact on the life of all but a few dozen multi-millionaires and their hangers-on. The journalists view is so obvious that it's more of an editorial than a report of facts.

D

Deleted member 15344

Imagine Westwood being happy with an article that’s very pro him ?

And as for Poulter

There is always two sides to everything

Westwood a number of times left the ET to go to the PGA tour to “chase the money”

Poulter jumped as soon as he could

It’s a shame that the recent event there are some looking to overshadow it all

As someone said - the article just points the fingers at other golfers and away from the LIV golfers , doesn’t add anything but further issues as can be see by the spat between Weir and Poulter

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Imagine Westwood being happy with an article that’s very pro him ?

And as for Poulter

There is always two sides to everything

Westwood a number of times left the ET to go to the PGA tour to “chase the money”

Poulter jumped as soon as he could

It’s a shame that the recent event there are some looking to overshadow it all

As someone said - the article just points the fingers at other golfers and away from the LIV golfers , doesn’t add anything but further issues as can be see by the spat between Weir and Poulter

Why is there a lawsuit Phil?

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is there a lawsuit Phil?

Why do you think ?

Because the players jumped to join a tour that paid a lot of money and the DP tour decided that was not in line with the membership and it was the same as the PGAT ?‍♂️

Did the players think they could just go and play a tour that was exclusive and a closed shop and then just come back and play other events that they picked ?

D

Deleted member 21445

This strong rumour that another top 10 player is going to Liv (or has signed already) is probably true given past moves after such rumours but I can only see it being Cantlay.

I would be flabbergasted if it was Rahm or Hovland.

D

Deleted member 15344

This strong rumour that another top 10 player is going to Liv (or has signed already) is probably true given past moves after such rumours but I can only see it being Cantlay.

I would be flabbergasted if it was Rahm or Hovland.

Cantlay and Schaffle seem the two most obvious

Have to say it’s no chance for Rahm - Hovland not so sure , he always seem an odd one out

I’m still thinking it’s a bit of taking the limelight away from the current Event

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why do you think ?

Because the players jumped to join a tour that paid a lot of money and the DP tour decided that was not in line with the membership and it was the same as the PGAT ?‍♂️

Did the players think they could just go and play a tour that was exclusive and a closed shop and then just come back and play other events that they picked ?
So the DPWT could have avoided any legal repercussions by letting the LIV players play in their events, like they just have?

Did the LIV players reduce the quality of the field at all?
Surely any tour wants the best players in show they can attract?
Why have the Asian Tour embraced the LIV concept while the DPWT haven’t?
Is it not a debatable point that the money that has gone into the Asian Tour could have gone into the DPWT if they’d have been able to negotiate an agreement?

I’d love to know how the DPWT is stronger without these guys playing, because it simply wouldn’t be, the finishing positions at Wentworth will confirm that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

So the DPWT could have avoided any legal repercussions by letting the LIV players play in their events, like they just have?

Only playing because of the injunction - that may well change from Feb and can see the tour pushing to ensure they don’t play

Did the LIV players reduce the quality of the field at all?
Surely any tour wants the best players in show they can attract?
Why have the Asian Tour embraced the LIV concept while the DPWT haven’t?
Is it not a debatable point that the money that has gone into the Asian Tour could have gone into the DPWT if they’d have been able to negotiate an agreement?

The Asian tour embraced the huge level of money from LiV - they have bought the tour - the ET didn’t want that to happen with LIV
I’d love to know how the DPWT is stronger without these guys playing, because it simply wouldn’t be, the finishing positions confirm that.

Is it all about “how strong the tour is”

Should that be the priority

Why should the tour allow these players that have decided to go to another tour to pretty much “have their whole cake” ? Why should they be ok to pick and chose and then just jump into ET events that they need to keep up their ranking points ?

Why should everyone bend over backwards to accommodate LIV when LIV itself is very much a closed shop and doesn’t accommodate the other tours

D

Deleted member 15344

What do you mean by odd one out?

He just seems like he is very tunnel visioned and his own person and at times seems to feel awkward in public etc - he always seems to look lonely , maybe it’s just his persona but if he went to LIV it wouldn’t be a shock.