LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
The posts following yours talk about hands being chopped off etc. Is this the reputation they need to be worried about protecting?
Clearly, that is NOT the reputation they want to promote. In fact, they clearly want to promote the exact opposite of this. They want the world to see / believe how great they are, and that the golf that they are putting on for everyone is absolutely fantastic. So, if they were to start heavily penalising players for trivial issues, then they would be absolutely playing into the hands of people that are stirring up as much negative publicity as they can, including issues with their human rights record.

Simply from a golf point of view, I suspect there will be many in my boat that just can't get enthusiastic about LIV golf, and that it really offers nothing more than what we already had, and certainly doesn't come close to the Majors, WGCs and Ryder Cup. So LIV, I think, really have an uphill task of making it the Premier Tour in golf, and they certainly will want to limit any own goals as best they can.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Compare to the PGAT which has a similar number of tournaments that a player must play in, but has many more events in which to complete it. So if a player doesn't want to play a particular even they are free to do so.
... hasn't the PGA just announced that the top players will be asked to play in an increased number of events (and specific events) to ensure that those events are higher profile? so in some respects (for some of the players) they do actually make some players attend certain events

obviously no idea what the penalties would be for them not attending though ... but then again nothing is really known about the LIV stance either (until someone is actually shown to be getting penalised in the way described)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

And said with a straight face.... McIlroy played an event in January, let the lowly ranked fellas play in the filler tournaments since, and, having decided in July by the way(!), has swanned into Wentworth on his white horse to save the day for 'golf'! He's not too worried on a personal level that he's taking the place of someone who has grafted for the last 7 months. Of course, under the criteria, he qualifies to do so.... as do all the people he is criticizing. Is he even self aware enough to realise that he is open to criticism (albeit not to the same extent!)?

That said, great fella, hope he wins!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

Rory needs to stick to playing golf.
Some of these comments could come back to bite him on the bum!!

It’s just a media fest - they are going to keep asking the question. Seems Lowry was bit more blunt about them
How did the LIV players get to play this week? Did they qualify or did they ask? Presumably it is within the power of the tour as to who plays?

As Rory has just trousered $18m then maybe he could give up his spot to someone who really needs it?

There really is some guff being spoken right now.

They qualified via their world ranking at a certain stage in the year. It’s rare to see the US players coming across but for LiV players it’s perfect for their ranking points.

It is disappointing though to see the players wearing LIV clothing, that’s a bit poor imo

Swango1980

Visit site
And said with a straight face.... McIlroy played an event in January, let the lowly ranked fellas play in the filler tournaments since, and, having decided in July by the way(!), has swanned into Wentworth on his white horse to save the day for 'golf'! He's not too worried on a personal level that he's taking the place of someone who has grafted for the last 7 months. Of course, under the criteria, he qualifies to do so.... as do all the people he is criticizing. Is he even self aware enough to realise that he is open to criticism (albeit not to the same extent!)?

That said, great fella, hope he wins!
Of course he isn't worried. The fact that high profile players like him play in this event make it what it is. And thus make it as lucrative as it is. If he didn't play, it would do the event more harm than good.

But, he also doesn't agree that the LIV golfers can have their cake and eat it.

God forbid a sportsman should ever express their opinion though. I'm sure we'd all wish sportspeople were boring robots :)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Will be interesting to see what the elevated events in Europe are
Agree, and will aim to keep an open mind.
Initial reaction, and acknowledge the recent pace of change ought to slow, 2024 feels a long way away right now.
Also, does feel like they've been backed into this, and ultimately whether a 'leopard can change its spots'.
Still is likely the right kind of response.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Of course he isn't worried. The fact that high profile players like him play in this event make it what it is. And thus make it as lucrative as it is. If he didn't play, it would do the event more harm than good.

But, he also doesn't agree that the LIV golfers can have their cake and eat it.

God forbid a sportsman should ever express their opinion though. I'm sure we'd all wish sportspeople were boring robots :)

This is what it boils down to like it’s ridiculous the way the sellouts are going on

evemccc

Visit site

Will be interesting to see what the elevated events in Europe are

Interesting comments — I listened only once but I didn’t hear much to suggest that suddenly there would be hordes of top10 OWGR PGA Tour stars coming to loads of events in Europe….I would not be surprised if this translates in reality as them coming to DP World ‘elevated events’ — “globally” was the word used— and I feel sure that translates as in Dubai and Abu Dhabi

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pretty glad the golf itself gets underway today, hopefully the media stop stoking the fire in every interview they do and just report on play itself