LIV Golf

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it works like this : before LIV, we might have thought, Saudi - backwards misogynist dictatorship with a favouring of beheadings, ghastly. After paying Phil $250M, Saudi - lovely country, so generous to millionaire golfers, I might go there on a holiday to enjoy the sand and oil.
It has really changed my perception.

You’ve clearly never been to the Middle East and making assumptions by what you read on the internet ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The Saudis don’t really want the average or even reasonably well off holidaymaker.

They want the mega rich and that is what they are gearing up for. Just take a look at the resort’s they are building.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Scanning here today, certainly feels like the format & whether a tournament or exhibition are big factors.
Someone posted about 'middle aged blokes arguing on a golf forum' ?. Also this is largely a European based forum (with a few welcome exceptions).
I think ultimately how this whole thing lands in Asia, Oceania, Africa and of course the Middle East will have some bearing on the outcome.
Have said before, will be interesting to see the 2023 PGAT & LIV schedules & locations.

D

Deleted member 1418

Scanning here today, certainly feels like the format & whether a tournament or exhibition are big factors.
Someone posted about 'middle aged blokes arguing on a golf forum' ?. Also this is largely a European based forum (with a few welcome exceptions).
I think ultimately how this whole thing lands in Asia, Oceania, Africa and of course the Middle East will have some bearing on the outcome.
Have said before, will be interesting to see the 2023 PGAT & LIV schedules & locations.

I was in Australia for a month over the summer - didn't see or hear anything about LIV whilst I was there, even with all the Cam Smith speculation.

D

Deleted member 15344

LIV are going to try to make it a world tour - I suspect that’s why they are targeting multiple different nationalities to try and get a worldwide audience

The issue is the two big main markets for golf are the US and European - so they are going try and tap into those other markets in areas where golf is prob significantly down a list of sports that matter

Even on social media it’s mainly the US area and it’s why the majority of their events so far are in the US

The areas they will get events in

Australia
Africa
South America
Middle East
Asia

Those areas have had golf events with big names and crowds don’t flock to them

And then there is the viewers - again the two big markets are the US and Europe. A world tour will have many events in time zones where your two big markers are in the land of nod

The events are going to get big prize funds but it will all be held up by Saudi money - I just can’t see it having the appeal all over the world

evemccc

Visit site

Good point, I agree

A US centric PGA Tour, primarily full of US golfers, has and will continue to gain sponsors and viewership in the N American market. But it’s true to say that globally golf is way behind tennis in terms of how it exploits other markets…golf has the potential to tap into viewership right across the world and I do think a well-run and well-coordinated world tour could increase revenue exponentially

Having a team-franchise thing, loosely based on nations, could be the way to help engineer viewership engagement in so-far under-represented world markets —- it remains to be seen if LIV has the capability or the appeal to do this….but I firmly believe the potential is there, irrespective of the desirability (or not) of LIV

evemccc

Visit site
LIV are going to try to make it a world tour - I suspect that’s why they are targeting multiple different nationalities to try and get a worldwide audience

The issue is the two big main markets for golf are the US and European - so they are going try and tap into those other markets in areas where golf is prob significantly down a list of sports that matter

Even on social media it’s mainly the US area and it’s why the majority of their events so far are in the US

Australia
Africa
South America
Middle East
Asia

And then there is the viewers - again the two big markets are the US and Europe. A world tour will have many events in time zones where your two big markers are in the land of nod

The events are going to get big prize funds but it will all be held up by Saudi money - I just can’t see it having the appeal all over the world

Basically said a similar thing…about 30 seconds later??

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I think he was providing a example of what "sportswashing" meant, rather than commenting on his experience of Saudi:ROFLMAO:

I’m honestly not for or against LIV, but I can’t stand hypocrisy when people know nothing about a country or their people, I’m fortunate enough to worked in an industry where I’ve met a lot of Arabic people.
I’ve also had holidays in Dubai for 8 out of the past 12 years.
I seriously don’t get the hate for people doing their jobs.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Australia
Africa
South America
Middle East
Asia

All valid points, and points made previously. Thing is, if just keep doing the same safe thing over and over, then likely to receive the same results - self reinforcing. No idea if possible, but perhaps some silly deep pockets, not caring about commercial viability in short term, might be able to move the needle?
Similar to @evemccc , it remains to be seen.

Last edited:

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair play to Cameron Smith. He has stated that he was swayed by the guaranteed money and the chance to spend a number of months at home in Australia hanging out with his mates. He has chosen a luxurious semi retirement at age 29. Not very ambitious perhaps, but a perfectly understandable decision.