Litter Bins on course

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has your course re-instated the use of litter bins on the course? I have played on several courses in the last few weeks where the bins have been in use yet on my own course, Thorpeness, there is not a bin to be seen. This seems to encourage players to leave rubbish where the bins should be and then the greenkeepers have to clear up afterwards. I would have thought leaving the bins in situ with a bin liner in place then removing the bin liner whilst wearing gloves would be little or no risk.
i mentioned this to our pro shop and they are insistant that England Golf say ‘no bins’ - I thought this was only advisory . What is your course doing?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Our bins have been back in place for at least a month. I'm not sure they are on every hole though, recall an email about them being placed on specific tees, but don't often use them as I take my rubbish back home with me. Too often finish my water or snack mid hole, put it in the bag and forget to put it in the next bin I see.

Before the bins were out, there was a period where a lot more rubbish was found floating around the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't really noticed but I'm sure the bins haven't been removed. I don't see why it would be a problem, it's not like golfers are rummaging through the bins are they, you tend to drop something in without touching it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The bins were never removed at our course. We have one by every tee box.

Totally agree with Bunkermagnet, it really blows my mind that people litter. I've played courses recently that have removed their bins and I just keep any litter in my bag. After all, I took it onto the course in my bag, there is clearly space to then take it away.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our bins have always been out. The actual bin is enclosed in a slatted wooden enclosure with a smallish opening at the top. Therefore rubbish is just dropped in the hole and no one touches the actual bin except when the green staff pull the bin out to empty it. We have a few small bins attached to the posts of the ball cleaners but the bins and ball cleaners are taped off.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours never stopped being in use.

Litter though has always been a problem and you would think that we did not have any, I can never understand players who are prepared to carry a full can/ bottle part way round a course but cannot carry an empty on to the next rubbish bin.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think it was clarified earlier on in the thread, it depended on what type of bin you have on the course whether it had to be removed or taped off, the letterbox type had to be removed for instance if you couldn’t remove the top.

Further Government advise(not specific to Golf) updated in July suggested more bins in public places and more frequent emptying.

Mandofred

Visit site
They took ours away, they seem to be back now. I couldn't believe how much trash people were just throwing on the ground. These are the same people who are supposed to be trusted to be honest/honorable while playing golf?? Gets up my nose.....

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our bins are all back as we had the same experience of bottles just being dumped for the magic bottle fairy to remove.
Then today we had a group who obviously had a special deal on a particular type of Stella as there were distinctive dark red cans of it all over the course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Re those that have seen lots of litter. If its been occurring over the last few weeks wouldn't it mean it has to be members littering on the very courses they are members of :unsure:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Our course removed the bins, ball cleaners, sand boxes and even the marker poles.

One of the marker poles was on the top of a hill that no one would ever walk past, never mind touch.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We turned our bins upside down and put black bags over them. People just left bottles, cans, banana skins on top of the upturned bins. In some cases they removed the bags, turned the bins the right way up and put litter in them!!!

People seemingly just were happy to empty the contents of their bag anywhere on the course....piles of broken tee pegs littered most of the tee boxes.

Our bins have now been restored to operation as it was too time consuming to clear up the rubbish littering the course.

Hackers76

Visit site
Still not got ours up and the course is tidier for it! We never had bins with lids on so the birds would make plenty of mess, that combined with most taking their litter home now means is a real positive. Wouldn’t mind if the didn’t come back and we just had a sign up telling people to take their rubbish home.