Liphook or Blackmoor; which to join?

Eriktheviking

Visit site
Hi all, 1st post. I’m currently at Goodwood and looking for a more members orientated club. I’ve narrowed the choice down to Liphook, Blackmoor or Stoneham. Stoneham ive played loads of times and was due to join before COVID hit. Since then I’ve realised Liphook and Blackmoor just as close in travel time.

unfortunately I am unable to play Liphook and Blackmoor due to no visitors but wanted to seek an opinion as to the best course and what are the pros and cons on each. In a 3hcp and my driving is a strong part of my game, I note that driver isn’t really. Needed at Blackmoor?

ideally I would want good a practice area too. My main criteria is course condition, especially greens and fairways.

unfortunately the waiting list for Liphook is around a year.

looking forward to your thoughts.

D

Deleted Member 1156

None of them. My choice would be Hayling, a proper links giving all year round golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

imo

Liphook is prob the better course , even more so after their recent changes , the new holes are excellent

Blackmoor though is a gem of a course , very playable and it always seems to be the better overall club

It’s a good choice to have and you won’t go wrong with either

Green at Liphook always seem to be the quickest I play in a year , condition wise it’s always in good nick , certainly longer

From what you say - Liphook would be your choice

Both better than Stoneham

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all, 1st post. I’m currently at Goodwood and looking for a more members orientated club. I’ve narrowed the choice down to Liphook, Blackmoor or Stoneham. Stoneham ive played loads of times and was due to join before COVID hit. Since then I’ve realised Liphook and Blackmoor just as close in travel time.

unfortunately I am unable to play Liphook and Blackmoor due to no visitors but wanted to seek an opinion as to the best course and what are the pros and cons on each. In a 3hcp and my driving is a strong part of my game, I note that driver isn’t really. Needed at Blackmoor?

ideally I would want good a practice area too. My main criteria is course condition, especially greens and fairways.

Forum member richart is a member at Blackwood and has hosted forum meets there which were very popular and he can give you all the details so best sending him a private message

Eriktheviking

Visit site
Forum member richart is a member at Blackwood and has hosted forum meets there which were very popular and he can give you all the details so best sending him a private message

thanks, I did read the Blackmoor vs Hindhead thread with interest. Just worried it may be a bit sort for my game whereby driver is a strong point but looking forward to playing a round there.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Always good to work on your weaknesses.

However, if it's just about the course, right now with upgrades, Liphook probably wins, but Blackmoor is still a decent course, with great greens.

If it's about members and comps, Blackmoor probably wins.

In future Blackmoor is planning some upgrades, so that could change.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

When did you last play Stoneham, if it was a while ago it will look very different now. Plus they are in the final stages of finishing what looks to be a great practice area. They are also full on members with a waiting list.

I have only played Liphook and Blackmoor once each, both lovely courses.

Hayling, as Gordon suggested could be another to consider.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hayling I do like for the 2 times a year I play it but I wouldn’t want to play winter golf in that wind. it would just be 0.1 every week I fear.
Obviously you don't need to enter competitions during the winter but at least you will have a fully open course to play. I was a member there for 5 years and it was only closed for 4 days in that time, 2 of them when it was under snow.
I like Stoneham but it can get wet in winter and is closed quite a lot.

D

Deleted member 15344

thanks, I did read the Blackmoor vs Hindhead thread with interest. Just worried it may be a bit sort for my game whereby driver is a strong point but looking forward to playing a round there.

There are plenty of holes where you can take driver , but it’s certainly not a course you will take it on every hole , the greens are excellent as well. Great mix of par threes , it’s a course where your short game needs to be on form

Eriktheviking

Visit site
When did you last play Stoneham, if it was a while ago it will look very different now. Plus they are in the final stages of finishing what looks to be a great practice area. They are also full on members with a waiting list.

I have only played Liphook and Blackmoor once each, both lovely courses.

Hayling, as Gordon suggested could be another to consider.

i played S just before the first lockdown with a couple of committee members as a kind of playing in. I really liked it, it was much different to when I had played previously with the vegetation removal. practice facilities were just being finished And looked sensational.

I would have absolutely no problem joining S but as I plan on staying at a club for a long time I want to check out the other similar courses.
the reciprocals at S are sensational also.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you are close to Goodwood have you considered West Sussex?

Edit just seen you are in Fareham so bit of a trek.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
i played S just before the first lockdown with a couple of committee members as a kind of playing in. I really liked it, it was much different to when I had played previously with the vegetation removal. practice facilities were just being finished And looked sensational.

I would have absolutely no problem joining S but as I plan on staying at a club for a long time I want to check out the other similar courses.
the reciprocals at S are sensational also.

It has certainly changed a lot in the last few years. I really liked it there, but other things took priority so I left when I stopped playing for a couple of years. If you were that close to joining then I’m sure you will know all of the positives about the place. Nick and Adam both very good pros too, I still have lessons with Nick even though I’m not a member there anymore.

As Homer said, Richart will be able to tell you all about Blackmoor. I’m not aware of any members at Liphook, but I could well be wrong.

Leftitshort

Visit site
You don’t really need a driver around liphook either certainly in the summer. Judging it on the course I’d join liphook, on the club I’m not certain but blackmoor strikes me as less stuffy. I wouldn’t wait a year to favour liphook.

D

Deleted member 1740

You don’t really need a driver around liphook either certainly in the summer. Judging it on the course I’d join liphook, on the club I’m not certain but blackmoor strikes me as less stuffy. I wouldn’t wait a year to favour liphook.

I’d wait a year to swerve a few of the members ??