Liphook or Blackmoor; which to join?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve only played Liphook, and no idea regarding the members, but loved the course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I didn't realise there had been changes at Liphook! I need to get down there for a look. In the late 80s I played cricket for Liphook, haven't been there for years. Anyone played post change? Better/Worse?

Can't imagine a reason not to join Blackpool, other than distance or hating golf! :)

If you are east of Fareham... has Ham Manor been mentioned? Used to have a Society Day there years back, was very good. No recent knowledge of it though

D

Deleted member 15344

I didn't realise there had been changes at Liphook! I need to get down there for a look. In the late 80s I played cricket for Liphook, haven't been there for years. Anyone played post change? Better/Worse?

Can't imagine a reason not to join Blackpool, other than distance or hating golf! :)

If you are east of Fareham... has Ham Manor been mentioned? Used to have a Society Day there years back, was very good. No recent knowledge of it though
The changes are very much for the good , a superb par 3 created , extended a par 4 and another new hole

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture....nzie-begins-second-phase-of-liphook-rerouting

Second part starts soon with the under pants being built

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Both cracking courses. Liphook greens were superb both times I've played and have some truly testing undulations and run-offs, to the point where I may have even mumbled under my breath in my impersonation of a spoilt teenager 'it just isn't fair' on one or two occasions :)

In summary, you won't go wrong with either, so pick the one with the right feel when you visit and also which ticks the most boxes that you are looking for (eg. practise facilities, bar area, outside seating, journey from home, number of comps etc etc etc)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Stoneham without a doubt, have a look on Twitter for their account and @plestee the head greenkeeper as there’s some very interesting stuff on there. We have it as a reciprocal, haven’t played it yet but I’ve walked it during lockdown. If I was closer it would be a very hard decision between Hindhead and Stoneham.
Liphook, is over rated in my opinion, very nice and fantastic greens but I preferred Hindhead.
Blackmoor very friendly, great course but a few weak holes in my opinion but it’s a colt classic. Practice putting green was tiny but the range and short game area is fantastic. You really need to wait and play them if you can, if we go into a full lockdown go and walk them while they’re shut

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are plenty of holes where you can take driver , but it’s certainly not a course you will take it on every hole , the greens are excellent as well. Great mix of par threes , it’s a course where your short game needs to be on form
Blackmoor for a long hitter literally has less than about 2 holes where driver is the right club. Great course but I don’t half get fed up with it.
even the par 5s aren’t driver

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Sam, you just gave me a reason to enjoy being shorter than you off the tee:ROFLMAO:
I’d have similar decisions to make as the OP if I ever more back home to portsmouth.

Personally, I’d probably join goodwood as my dad is there, but my list would then be

Hankley
Hindhead
Hayling (all my best mates are members although I really don’t love the course)
Liphook
Blackmoor

I’d be very tempted by West Sussex too despite the drive as it’s absolutely sensational

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’d have similar decisions to make as the OP if I ever more back home to portsmouth.

Personally, I’d probably join goodwood as my dad is there, but my list would then be

Hankley
Hindhead
Liphook
Blackmoor

I’d be very tempted by West Sussex too despite the drive as it’s absolutely sensational
Perhaps re read the OP, he is already a member there and wants to join a member orientated club.
Goodwood is a place to play golf, not a golf club as most of us would define.
West Sussex ? Two balls only, interview just to get on the waiting list, and you’ll need to be “the right sort of chap”.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps re read the OP, he is already a member there and wants to join a member orientated club.
Goodwood is a place to play golf, not a golf club as most of us would define.
West Sussex ? Two balls only, interview just to get on the waiting list, and you’ll need to be “the right sort of chap”.
What? Yes I know he’s a member there I’m just discussing what I would do if I moved back.

I didn’t say if I was the OP did I, hardly suggesting he join goodwood because my dad is there am I

West Sussex as a 2 ball would be worth it. It’s sensational.

Leftitshort

Visit site

Hankley
Hindhead
Liphook
Blackmoor

Can’t disagree with most of that but I’d be tempted to swap the places of hindhead/liphook, but both are outstanding golf courses.
I’d be tempted to go for hayling as all year round golf is becoming more important to me personally.
I’m not 100% convinced that hankley would offer the fully inclusive membership experience but I’m basing that on the 2 members I met who were massive throbbers

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can’t disagree with most of that but I’d be tempted to swap the places of hindhead/liphook, but both are outstanding golf courses.
I’d be tempted to go for hayling as all year round golf is becoming more important to me personally.
I’m not 100% convinced that hankley would offer the fully inclusive membership experience but I’m basing that on the 2 members I met who were massive throbbers
Imo when you’re playing a course of the quality you’re looking at I couldn’t care less about the membership side of things. Turn up play your golf with your friends or playing partners and go home. If someone said I’ve got membership at Augusta available for you would you say ‘sorry mate, place is full of stuck up clowns’
?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
PM sent to OP.

Interesting to know how courses mentioned are holding up in current weather. We are fully open, trollies allowed, and haven't had temporary greens in my memory over the last five years plus. Never use mats, and always use proper tee boxes. I reckon I play more in winter than summer. Our winter tees, yellows, are less than 200 yards shorter than whites, so course plays iits full distance. In summer members can always play off whites.

I hit driver on all but three of the par 4's and 5's, but I am 100 yards plus shorter than MendieGK.:eek:;):LOL:

Visit site
I can vouch for Blackmoor’s all year round playability.

Hindhead is worth a shout if you’re keen to play lots of competitive golf, the club is packed with low handicap golfers. Indeed it is slightly further for you to drive.

Eriktheviking

Visit site
Haven't played there since 1994, but what's Lee on the Solent like now?

LOS is fine, and like it the 2/3 times a year I play it. it’s just a course I wouldn’t want to play every week. Condition went very downhill a couple of years ago but back up to standard now. Unfortunately very wet in the winter and closes a lot. the par 3s are the toughest I’ve ever played.