Life changed for ever today.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Blimin 'eck.

As you know I have a son at the same age, and another one on the way. What happened to you would scare me sh64less.

My father had a serious heart attack at 53, and his brother died at 52 from a HA. I really should take more care of myself. That only gives me another 13 years if I follow the same genes!!

I guess that in some ways you were lucky to get a warning, (if you can call the experience that you've had as lucky!).

Maybe, just maybe I should think about what I eat, particularly at work, where ther's never any real time to stop.

It won't be easy, but think of the family. Good luck, and just remember why you're doing it.

All the best.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad you are still with us Jon and able to share your experience with us. Could be a wake up call for many - especially the "Wednesday Club".

Since the birth of your daughter, this could just be the most important thing that has happened to you. Don't waste the message.

Last Saturday I gave my daughter away in marriage and along with her birth it was one of the most moving days I have ever experienced. You just make sure that you are around for your daughter's important moments.

The bad news is that I reckon for every stone you lose you will also lose at least 10 yards distance with your 3 wood. Lose 6 stone and you will be struggling to hit it 240 yds - about the same as us lesser mortals

Forget the Magners and lager. They are cr@p anyway. Moderation in proper real ale and the not so occasional drop of red vino will be far better for you.

Look after yourself

Roger

I'll leave my sig as it is with no apologies. Just make sure you don't get out too early.

B

birdieman

MedwayJ,
Bit of a fright for all of us, good news is at 28 you have loads of time to sort it out and there will likely be no permanent damage.
Don't expect to make huge changes to lifestyle all at once, take it slowly but make lots of small changes in terms of meal sizes, walk instead of drive, cutting down booze, handling stress better etc etc.
Don't turn into a teetotal, vegetarian gym freak overnight cos you'll never stick to it.
Always have those treats (curries, piss-up's etc) but limit them to once per month.
Don't expect to shed weight instantly either, look for 3 pounds off per month and in a year you'll be in good shape and you'll probably shed it faster because 3 pounds/month is realistic and when you achieve that you'll be motivated as you're reaching targets. :)
Glad you're still here, don't believe you'll lose distance off the tee by the way, by getting in shape you'll lose fat and retain muscle which will be in better condition to slog a Titleist 280 or whatever.
Look at all these major winners nowadays - they're all in superb physical condition, no Craig Stadler/Monty types winning anymore.
Good luck! ;)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Glad you are ok Jon, I am about your age and 3 stone+ over weight and like a pint or two and junk food, I will shed the pounds with you. Maybe a sticky weigth loss thread? I only had 4 pints of black sheep last weekend, which is a record ;)

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The mother of all wake-up calls mate.

Take it slowly, reduce your portion size, get a bit of discipline around the drink and treat yourself on a friday/saturday night ONLY. It will make a massive difference and then you can start on the long gentle road of exercise.

No need to rush or turn into a priest overnight, but you do only get one go at this crazy little thing we call life, so make sure you get to make your final putt on the last and not losing 10&8.

Best wishes.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
MedwayJ,
Bit of a fright for all of us, good news is at 28 you have loads of time to sort it out and there will likely be no permanent damage.
Don't expect to make huge changes to lifestyle all at once, take it slowly but make lots of small changes in terms of meal sizes, walk instead of drive, cutting down booze, handling stress better etc etc.
Don't turn into a teetotal, vegetarian gym freak overnight cos you'll never stick to it.
Always have those treats (curries, piss-up's etc) but limit them to once per month.
Don't expect to shed weight instantly either, look for 3 pounds off per month and in a year you'll be in good shape and you'll probably shed it faster because 3 pounds/month is realistic and when you achieve that you'll be motivated as you're reaching targets. :)
Glad you're still here, don't believe you'll lose distance off the tee by the way, by getting in shape you'll lose fat and retain muscle which will be in better condition to slog a Titleist 280 or whatever.
Look at all these major winners nowadays - they're all in superb physical condition, no Craig Stadler/Monty types winning anymore.
Good luck! ;)

Seconded with loud bells on.

Slow and steady wins the race Jon. You're young and a change in mindset after a jolt like you've had could turn out to be the best thing to happen in the long run.

Glad to see you here and glad you've decided to make something positive out of it.

I nominate MWJ for role of captain and thread starter of the Wednesday club. Any seconders?

yours,

a 15st 9lb billyG that needs to get down to a fighting fit and healthy 13st10lb

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Sorry to bring this up mate but it needs to be mentioned, has your club got a defibrillator? Most clubs have got one now and if not they can get a grant, info is below. I am sure you will be fine after this scare and make the needed changes but just in case for other members.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/research_health_professionals/non-research_grants/defibrillators.aspx

If I am crash and burning on the course for gods sake leave me there, where else would I want to die, lay my ashes on the 18th green.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I have rejoined the gym at my private members club - www.roffen.com where The facilities are great and along with normal gym stuff there are tennis & squash, a great swimming pool and saunas, steam, jacuzzi etc.

going to get my personal plan sorted tomorrow.

It will be a long road to try and shed 5st but with the motivation of the scare I had I'm sure I can do it.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
Not good news Jon but could have been worse,hopefully your wake-up call will pay dividends for you in future years,of which I`m sure there will be many.

Take care, Best regards.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jon-your still with us thankfully. Remember dont try and lose teh 5st quickly thant will only cause other problems-take it gentle and gradually. Getting fitter and staying at a certain fitness level is a long term goal-
The old saying apllies-"you must learn to walk before you start running".

Good luck with the programme and dont GIVE UP.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Hell fire Jon, that was a close 'un.

Just goes to show, we all take our health for granted until something like that happens.
Reading your story has made me think too. A bit overweight, sporting a belly. Although somewhat older than you I think it's time I took my health a bit more seriously.

Glad to hear you got over it and intend changing your lifestyle to promote a healthier life. Things can only get better mate.

Take care and keep us posted on how the new regime progresses.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jon, I think the best way to achieve you goal would be to start your new regime with some sponsorship from guys on here and donate it to your local A&E or cardiology department. For every stone you shed I will donate £10.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Going to be weighing in every saturday am, todays weight is 19st 1lb so hard work to be achieved from here on in.

Nice idea Andy and really appreciated.

Will be updating you all with my progress.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
mwj....DONT PANIC although its a shock you can recover and get fitter......

been there and more...triple heart by pass two years after a kidney transplant then given 24hrs to live with extensive blood clots in lungs post op.
i have to say your description of what you just did in the gym is sorry....madness.
after such an incident bursting your lungs and chest is just plain fool hardy.
you need to get an appropriate exercise regime formulated by a qualified fitness pro this will involve gentle exercise (initially) under strictly monitored conditions so as to exercise in your 'training range' ie. controlled heart rate.
just jumping in the gym and knocking out 2000m on the rower plus other exercises is putting your heart at further risk. if you sustained ANY damage you need time to allow healing before going for it again.
i dropped over two stone by healthy eating and initially a very gentle exercise regime in the gym twice a week.once the weight had gone i embarked on a more robust program (monitored)as i had to work my heart harder to get in my 'training range'(heart rate 130 bpm limit).not once did i feel knackered or i was straining infact after my gym sessions which are now three times a week i feel invigorated.
patience is the key and make small changes to your life style that will then become permanent and you will get there but please take advice in the gym.

all the best

good luck

tim