Lyme Disease

Swango1980

Visit site
Anyone know much about it?

My mates 10yr old son was recently diagnosed with it, after they found a strange wound on his leg. Probably diagnosed about a month ago, and so been on antibiotics for a few weeks. Apparently the wound is still pretty nasty (looks like a burst blister and needs dressed from his description), and recently his son has found it difficult to walk as his calf is very painful. Apparently he walks like an elderly man, with stiff legs who can barely walk, let alone run. The doctors will put him on more antibiotics, but also getting more blood tests done. Strangely, my mate himself (i.e. the dad) was also diagnosed with Lymes disease. He had no marks on his body, but had been feeling tired lately, with stiff neck, and because his son got diagnosed, just so happened to mention it to doctor who then did a blood test to say he had it.

Sounds pretty nasty. I read on BBC last week it is becoming more common in the UK.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not know a great deal about but remember Jimmy Walker being knocked back by it for a considerable time.

I watched one of those wild life programmes that showed just how prevalent they were and a reminder to check your dogs after being out on walks.

Long socks do have a purpose and maybe we all should all be wearing them when wearing shorts on a golf course.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
An easy way to pick it up is through bites from infected ticks, found in much of the countryside, especially where deer and such roam.

Can be very nasty as you've no doubt read and best to see the Doc as soon as you suspect you might have it.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Visited a nature reserve a couple of years ago and they explained that Lyme disease is on the rise due to the rodent population increasing. Rodents have a higher chance of carrying ticks that have Lyme disease. And the reason rodents are on the increase is that snakes are on the decrease.
Or it was some variation of that.