Life changed for ever today.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Was taken to a&e at around 11 last night with severe chest pain.

After tests the medics decided to treat me with heart-attack drugs to prevent further incident as there were anominallies in my test results.

I was admitted to a ward at 2am and had various further tests until seeing a cardiologist at 1pm.

Thankfully I was released home, After enzyme tests it was revealed that my heart had suffered no permanent damage.

The reason behind what happened is that for the last 5 days or so I have taken diabolical liberties with my body, ignoring my prevailing medical conditions to go out boozing, curries, thai, fry-ups etc washed down by more booze. This placed my heart under too-much strain and basically an angina-like attack occurred.

I am 28 years old and wont hide the fact that I was terrified, I have a 20 month old little girl and a whole life ahead of me and today, I was told that unless I make wholesale changes, I am a shoe-in for a coronary by 50.

I have always been overweight, always been a legendary boozer and always liked my grub. But as of today all that changes.

All I can say is to that any of you out there who may be like I was until 24hrs ago is STOP abusing your body. Mine finally had enough and thank god that all last night turned out to be was an early warning.

So heres to my new healthy life and if you are like me.... hopefully heres to yours.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bloody hell mate, that is quite some news, hope you are feeling better.

Any help I can give you regarding diet, training and a healthier lifestyle I will, please feel free to ask anything.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
first and foremost i am glad you are still with us big man,
all the best to you with things you have planned for yourself in the future

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
What a scare Jon, glad you are feeling so much better :) It amazing how something like that changes your perspective, believe me I know, not quite the same as your experience (diving incident a few years ago gave me a hugh reality check, didn't think I was going to make it) let's just say I no longer take everything for granted.
How is your other half and the little one?
If you need any help/advice (exercise regimes etc) let me know.
Kind regards and take care
:)

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, we should take more of ourselves. But do we learn? I've had cancer of the gut but still keep punishing myself with the smooth, red, Spanish liquid. Summer here and I'm feeling like s*** because I enjoyed so much in the last few days.
Regards
Shanker.

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
The mrs and bubs are fantastic barb, she has given me the rollicking of a lifetime over it all and to be honest I deserve it.

Glad to hear it Jon, it suprising the effect something like this has on our families.
Look after yourself and the family.
Take care

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jon as a proud dad of my very own Olivia I am glad you are feeling fine. The only reason I breathe in and out every day is because I have her and I am sure you feel the same. I will be making some changes now as I am 3 stone over and have noticed a change in my fitness or lack of.

The secret of life is simple .... keep breathing !!!!!!!!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Jon, does this mean you will give up on the granda trolley idea and start carrying again, its good for you :D

Hope you are back to full steam before too long matey.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bugger sorry to hear about the scare, at least you have taken the hint and decided to sort yourself out rather than ignore doctors advice like a man I USED to know. It will certainly be worth getting yourself fitter though and the chances are it will help your golf.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Glad you are ok mate.

Like yourself I am overweight. I have put on three stone since I gave up playing football.

My wife has been on at me since she fell pregnant but i have done nothing about it.

Your story scares me a bit. I sit at a desk all day eating all sorts of rubbish. I have printed out a copy of your post which now sits at my desk

Today I change with you

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
good luck mate, you don't need too many of those.

my ex worked for years on the transplant unit at Papworth, there are no end of idiots who won't learn the lesson even after that experience (complaints about not being allowed to smoke on the ward!).

I have managed to keep to the diet we started in January so feel fairly good about that though the weight has reached a plateau. Could still do with losing some more.
Don't feel good about how I feel when I reach the top of the stairs at the office though - must start the swimming again, I just wish the sessions were at a sensible time. (Friday afternoon I usually finish work around 2 so golf about 3 but can be 4+ hours with societies on course, the adult swimming session starts at 8).

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
The good thing about this, if there are any positives, is that it gave you an early warning.
Many a time people have a full blown HA and have been ignoring the signs for ages.
Lose the weight, change your lifestyle but don't overdo it too soon.
I've lost a stone in 12 months just by playing golf, as my excerise for the last few years was zero.
If I can do the same over the next two years I will be very happy.
I couldn't begin to think of anything worse than if i had missed my son growing up.

My father, having been through WW2 and seeing some very good friends killed, once said to me, "treat everyday as your last, because one day it will be".
Never a truer word spoken,

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Bloody hell Jon, looks like you got the benefit of a warning, so many don't get that reprieve. I am betting that your story will make a lot of us on here take a closer look at our unhealthy lifestyles and make some life changes. Wishing you and your family a long and happy life.

All the best

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wow, that is scary. Glad to hear you are still with us.

My cousin had a similar scare, and has since stopped all the booze and curries too. He had his Navy medical, and the medic said he would have a life expectancy of about 5 years if he carried on with his current lifestyle. Needless to say, he changed it immediately and he now looks so much better for it.

Lucky for you you have had this early warning before too much damage is done. Good luck with the changes.

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not been on the forum for quite some time , hope u get back to full health soon ...join a gym and start off nice and easy and gradually build it up and u`ll notice a big difference with ur health and ur golf game.best o luck

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad to hear you ok.

Certainly makes you sit up and wonder. Im now 40 and although have been off the smokes for 7 years I have piled the weight on and drink way too much, as well as having a very dodgy diet.
Time to think of the future and make sure im around to see my two boys get married and have kids.

All the best for the future.