Dog attacks

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
After my latest dog bite in a public place (this on the arm) a few days ago I see there is misleading information on how to avoid it happening.
In my experience a dog bites in a split second, so advice on carrying a whistle, alarm or spray isn't going to work.
I then found I needed a tetanus booster jab as last one was over 10 years ago (2012).
Blame it on the pandemic for increasing number of dogs and attacks. I'm told.
I also note that owners do not think it's their responsibility for dog attack.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
As I was walking out of my local park, a couple with a dog suddenly appeared as I was turning a corner.
Dog approached me and jumped up and bit my arm, in an instant.
I think it might have been a mongrel of average size.
Owner muttered "I'll have it put down", and walked off without an apology.
I doubt if this is a police matter, but they might record it.
After the council said that dogs are allowed to run free in the park, it occurred to me how few people walk on the grassy areas.
One reason is possibly because of the dogs.
Not sure if I've seen an XL yet, but definitely a few Bullies.
Can't stress how upsetting this is to the victim when it happens.
On a previous occasion I had to have stitches at a hospital.
On this occasion I got an appointment at the doctors.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I was walking out of my local park, a couple with a dog suddenly appeared as I was turning a corner.
Dog approached me and jumped up and bit my arm, in an instant.
I think it might have been a mongrel of average size.
Owner muttered "I'll have it put down", and walked off without an apology.
I doubt if this is a police matter, but they might record it.

After the council said that dogs are allowed to run free in the park, it occurred to me how few people walk on the grassy areas.
One reason is possibly because of the dogs.
Not sure if I've seen an XL yet, but definitely a few Bullies.
Can't stress how upsetting this is to the victim when it happens.
On a previous occasion I had to have stitches at a hospital.
On this occasion I got an appointment at the doctors.
Of course its a police matter. What if the owner had walked up to you and punched you the face whilst his dog walked past you without bothering with you, or if it was a child that is now without an eye?
Too many dog attacks aren't bothered with by the victims because "its not one of those breeds".

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Even if I could identify the owner, he would deny any wrong doing.
The police don't have the resources to investigate all incidents.
I reported it to the council, and they did tell me to report it to the police, but I have little to go on other than my word and a visit to the doctors.
If this was just a one off, I'd let it go, but this is getting serious now.

Quote:
XL Bully dogs have carried out half of the fatal dog attacks in the UK since the pandemic, it has emerged.
At least 23 people have been killed by dogs in the last three years and American XL Bullies, or similar breeds, were suspected to be involved in 12 of the attacks.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even if I could identify the owner, he would deny any wrong doing.
The police don't have the resources to investigate all incidents.
I reported it to the council, and they did tell me to report it to the police, but I have little to go on other than my word and a visit to the doctors.
If this was just a one off, I'd let it go, but this is getting serious now.

Quote:
XL Bully dogs have carried out half of the fatal dog attacks in the UK since the pandemic, it has emerged.
At least 23 people have been killed by dogs in the last three years and American XL Bullies, or similar breeds, were suspected to be involved in 12 of the attacks.
Have you been bitten by other dogs this week then?
I don't see why you put that quote in, unless you are claiming that the dog that bit you was one of those.

Did the dog have BBC stamped on it's side by chance?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'll ignore those puerile comments and concentrate on how to avoid dog attacks in a public place.
You cannot predict what any dog will do, and the result of a bite can be serious.
The common ancestor of all dogs are wolves, and all have inherited similar traits.
If a dog appears to be a threat then stand your ground as tall as possible. Don't assume they are just playing.
Don't kick out at the dog. That will make it angry.
Most dogs are of course nearly harmless family pets.
Coming soon if reports are to be believed is the American XXL Bully.
See now where the future of dog ownership is going.
It's the dog that's put down, not the owner.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
I'll ignore those puerile comments and concentrate on how to avoid dog attacks in a public place.
You cannot predict what any dog will do, and the result of a bite can be serious.
The common ancestor of all dogs are wolves, and all have inherited similar traits.
If a dog appears to be a threat then stand your ground as tall as possible. Don't assume they are just playing.
Don't kick out at the dog. That will make it angry.
Most dogs are of course nearly harmless family pets.
Coming soon if reports are to be believed is the American XXL Bully.
See now where the future of dog ownership is going.
It's the dog that's put down, not the owner.
I genuinely wonder how lucid you are when you post.

4LEX

Visit site
If any dog bites someone the owner should be charged with assualt or ABH/GBH. You'd soon see a dramatic drop in attacks. As it is, owning an agressive status dog is basically a greenlight to wander around with a lethal weapon with minimal fear of arrest.

Don't stand for it, report to the Police, take pictures of it and them next time you see them and take civil action against the owner if the Police are useless.

RichA

Visit site
"Latest dog bite in a public place".
How many times has this happened to you? Not once in my life time.
Is this made up???
Likewise, never bitten by a dog, other than in play. That's in 52 years, many of them as a dog owner out walking on a daily basis in public areas swarming with dogs.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Once had a dog that spent an hour or so trying to shag my leg when I did a paper round as a kid. I twatted it eventually with a bag full of News of the worlds and it cleared off.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I just wish that dog owners would understand that not everyone likes dogs and it's not reasonable to allow their dog to jump to people and just say "don't worry he/she's very friendly and won't hurt you"

I'm not bothered how friendly he/she is I don't want it coming that near !

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I just wish that dog owners would understand that not everyone likes dogs and it's not reasonable to allow their dog to jump to people and just say "don't worry he/she's very friendly and won't hurt you"

I'm not bothered how friendly he/she is I don't want it coming that near !
Twas interesting to see some dogs reactions to cyclists when I went out on a bike for the first time in 30 odd years. I get that some dogs for whatever reason may be spooked by a bike, but if that’s the case why would you/ Owner let them off a lead when they go for everyone on a bike.

RichA

Visit site
Twas interesting to see some dogs reactions to cyclists when I went out on a bike for the first time in 30 odd years. I get that some dogs for whatever reason may be spooked by a bike, but if that’s the case why would you/ Owner let them off a lead when they go for everyone on a bike.
I've seen your photos. It wasn't the bike that spooked them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never been bitten when out by a dog, but in 13 yrs with Zanussi I got bitten 9 times, and each time was inside the property and the owners always said" he/she's a good dog and never done that before."
Worst was a GSD, the others were J/Russells, a black lab, and mongrels.