Kuch 3rd time around!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
because he has moaned about earning $5k, knocked back an extra $15k and managed to get Kuchar to blink and cough up $50k for fear of further bad publicity.

As has been mentioned here, the guys agreed to the deal, he got paid $5k (more than they agreed) and there were dozens of guys at the course that could have done the same / similar job.

Does anyone work for a company who gives them a substantial bonus of several months salary when they make a big profit? You might get a bonus, but it will be performance related and will be all agreed in advance. Ortiz knew the deal and he didn't try to bargain with Kuch because it was still a sweet deal for him.

Like I said, there's too many bad omens for any Tour Pros to go near this guy in the next event.
If his regular caddy was there he'd be forking out about 135 140 grand. He was being tight, trying to take advantage of the guy because his regular guy couldn't make it. It's come out in the open, he's been made to look like an idiot here. Who'd you rather be, the guy who's known to be tight or the guy that actually pays properly, I know who gets more respect in my neck of the woods

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes and there was little or no support for those "petitions".

Neither party emerges with any great credit.

Kuchar is clearly hard nosed and "careful" with his money.

The caddie is a greedy hustler.

Or he's potentially a lot worse than all the above.

Glad it's sorted out now. Hard lesson earned at Team Cheap though. Heckled during his round last night must have been a bitter pill too.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon if Ortiz had handled this a bit different, he'd be guaranteed a pro bag in this years event, now id be amazed if anyone goes near him.

I don’t think it would have done him any harm at all. Kuchars the one at fault here not the caddie.

5K when he won 1.3M USD, that’s taking the pi$$

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t think it would have done him any harm at all. Kuchars the one at fault here not the caddie.

5K when he won 1.3M USD, that’s taking the pi$$

Like I said, would you expect your salary to be quadrupled if your company made a huge profit?

Especially if there are a dozen guys queuing up outside your workplace who could do a similarly good job as you?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
He was the one who did the bullying in this case.

You see that is where you are clearly wrong. Ortiz wasn't the one who broke the story. Ortiz never went to the press, they tracked him down.

Why do you honestly think Kuch and his management company have done a dramatic U turn and are now on a charm offensive?

Car crash from start to finish. Made worse by crass comments by Kuch during the week.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Like I said, would you expect your salary to be quadrupled if your company made a huge profit?

Especially if there are a dozen guys queuing up outside your workplace who could do a similarly good job as you?

Depends what is in your contract. Also why in this case is there a dozen people who could do the job when he was widely regarded as being the best caddie at the resort?

We can't just introduce hypothetical situations and try to shoe horn them in.

D

Deleted member 18588

You see that is where you are clearly wrong. Ortiz wasn't the one who broke the story. Ortiz never went to the press, they tracked him down.

Why do you honestly think Kuch and his management company have done a dramatic U turn and are now on a charm offensive?

Car crash from start to finish. Made worse by crass comments by Kuch during the week.

So who told Tom Gillis what payment was made?

Pretty sure it wasn'tKuchar so that only leaves one person who would know the figures.

As is I said Kuchar may be a tight wad and lack a little grace but Ortiz is equally obnoxious in agreeing a deal but subsequently deciding he didn't like the terms of that deal.

Any Tour pro' playing the tournament next year and in need of a caddy will be very careful before employing him.

Untrustworthy.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Kuchar is hung out to dry on the latest "Matty and the Caddie" podcast on ESPN. "He's a phony" is about the nicest thing they have to say about him.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

More like a partnership than a company. 2 man team for 4 days.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So who told Tom Gillis what payment was made?

Pretty sure it wasn'tKuchar so that only leaves one person who would know the figures.

As is I said Kuchar may be a tight wad and lack a little grace but Ortiz is equally obnoxious in agreeing a deal but subsequently deciding he didn't like the terms of that deal.

Any Tour pro' playing the tournament next year and in need of a caddy will be very careful before employing him.

Untrustworthy.
I'd take it more as if you can help it don't work for Matt kuchar, you will find a better employer elsewhere. Anybody in the industry will tell you he took advantage and let himself down, if it was such a fair deal why the sudden change of mind, there wouldn't have been anything said about it if it was a fair deal.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is there anything wrong with revealing what he was paid?

Golf is one of those sports where they talk quite freely about how much cash was won, how much was on the line for 2nd place or tied 2nd etc.

With Kuchar winning a big cheque it was always going to be a story how much the caddy would lift. Everyone and their dog knows about the traditional payments to caddies on the winning bag. I'm sure those in the media were wondering how much he would receive and in turn tell fans of the sport.

The meagre amount was eventually revealed and most people were rightly disgusted. Matt himself feels ashamed and rightly so and has made amends.

Last edited: