Jumping on someone else's booking?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
spot on. we had someone ask to join our 2 ball yesterday, was more than happy with that. It's the ones who just jump on your booking without asking that annoy me, particularly if I'm on my own and there are 2 or 3 of them who I've never met.

we were late getting off, and he was in the slot after us. everyone was held up because 4 ladies who were supposed to be playing at 1.00 didn't turn up until 1.20 but insisted on playing. to make matters worse, they were playing in a texas scramble comp, and weren't letting anyone through, so it was an extremely slow round. there were 3 young lads in front of us who let the ladies in, I told them they should have refused, but I think they were a bit intimidated!

I hope they've been penalised for teeing off late.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I still cant see a problem with others joining your slots. Thank god we can't reserve all unbooked tee times in a slot at ours.

Each to their own, I suppose. I’m just not desperately keen, especially when it’s pay and players, which can be the case at ours. The majority are fine, don’t get me wrong, but some are anything but. I just like a degree of control over whether I play with others or not.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think a lot of people are going to have to realise that in these times one person just can’t have a tee booking all to themselves

At the end of the day you are only booking for one spot - yourself or any others you book with you. When you book surely you are not expecting to have the whole ten minute fourball spot as yours ?

We are currently getting close to restricted hours and tee times so I wouldn’t expect any club to allow one person to fill a whole spot. We certainly don’t

Billysboots

Visit site
I think a lot of people are going to have to realise that in these times one person just can’t have a tee booking all to themselves

At the end of the day you are only booking for one spot - yourself or any others you book with you. When you book surely you are not expecting to have the whole ten minute fourball spot as yours ?

We are currently getting close to restricted hours and tee times so I wouldn’t expect any club to allow one person to fill a whole spot. We certainly don’t

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t expect to be allowed to play on my own if it’s really busy. I actually feel uncomfortable being the meat in the sandwich of a load of 4-balls. But if there are other options I’m just not a fan of people I don’t know hopping onto my tee time.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
None of my regular PPs are around tomorrow, had a look on BRS this morning and saw there was a free tee time at 8am, so booked that for myself. Got a couple of 4 balls in front of me, so the intention was to take my time and have a little potter around.

However just got an email from BRS saying that 3 guys I've never heard of have jumped onto my booking. Had a look on the members' list, and they are all very low handicappers (2, 4 and 5). There is a comp on tomorrow, which they are bound to be in, so that means playing off the whites instead of the yellows, so all in all, my nice little knock around is kyboshed.

Is it wrong to be narked by this? I know it's a busy time, but (rightly or wrongly) I would never think of putting my name down to play with a stranger, particularly if I had 2 mates in tow. (I do make a point of asking single players if they want to join us when letting them play through, but it's always their choice).

Is there any kind of etiquette around this? I know that if, for example, a mate and myself put ourselves down to play with 2 women members, they would be very likely to take umbrage.
Personally I would say that other members would have more right to be p****d off with one person taking up four slots during a weekend comp because they fancy a knock on their own.

By your logic, where do you draw the line? If you’re booked in with your mate and there’s 2 spaces free with you during a competition, do you expect other players who want to actually enter the competition, to leave those spaces free?

Our club has removed the ability for people to book “guests” in on the booking system and the fact that I can simply look online and book myself in with another group if my regular playing partners are unavailable is a massive perk in my opinion. I’ve done it many times, also had strangers book in with my group if there’s space available, and always enjoyed the new company!

I think expecting to “pot about” on your own at 8am during a competition is probably a bit unrealistic ??

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you go to Celtic Manor as a group of 6 and book 2 x 3balls, you will automatically get switched into a 4 and a 2. (unless it is v quiet) A boy, lots of folk really kick off at the starter who has no control over it! :) Frankly, I think that isnt on if you are away on a trip, but Celtic Manor say it is in the Ts and Cs (which no one actually reads)

If its an open booking system at your club, that's different. But you know who "not" to book in with! :)
That’s exactly what happened to me. 6 of us booked in a few years ago the day before New Year’s Eve. It was absolutely freezing, about -2 when we got there. Me and my mate when up in the same car and we got there, we found out that our 4 mates who had arrived some time before us were playing together, and the 2 of us were now paired with a poor old couple who had travelled down from Berkshire ?

Billysboots

Visit site
Personally I would say that other members would have more right to be p****d off with one person taking up four slots during a weekend comp because they fancy a knock on their own.

To be fair to the OP, his original post was talking about a midweek round. I’m quite sure nobody in their right minds expects to be allowed out as a single player in the middle of a busy weekend comp.

Cut the fella some slack.