Clubs not tech savvy

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
my experience at our club

Some tick the box to opt out of all general email communication from the club

Some never read the clubs weekly newsletter which contains a lot of important information

Some read once and forget.

A lot never read the noticeboards or specific notices posted next to the PSI computers and above the urinals where we hope tha will not be missed.

A lot simply ignore the what it says on notices anyway.

Hardly anybody actually reads what it says in the Local Rules Book.

A lot do not read or ignore what it says on the scorecard.

Variations on your remarks appear in every Communications Training event ever held! 😁😁

People are difficult. Good job too. I'm sitting on a sofa paid for because of it.😉

D

Deleted member 23270

Not really. I average about 8 Opens a year and haven't written a cheque out for one in over 5 years. Simple to choose other courses, yet to come across the wowser one that warrants opening the dusty draw and going back in time.
But when you do find the wowser one will you get the cheque book out?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really. I average about 8 Opens a year and haven't written a cheque out for one in over 5 years. Simple to choose other courses, yet to come across the wowser one that warrants opening the dusty draw and going back in time.

I'm sure worst case you could call them and do a transfer or take cash

Surely nobody is that stuck in a stone age that they only accept cheque

Only got about 10-15 years before they die out for good thankfully

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What are we using as the parameters for club to tech savvy?

Let's face it, they should all be using the generic online booking systems that are available. We use How Did I Do, for comps and ESP Leisure for general course bookings and account management - really easy to login, book a time, top up the levy card etc.

Jamie's club use Club V1 which I'd imagine is the more popular, again easy to use.

I do feel my club are lacking on their social media presence, something I think a lot of clubs are guilty of..

Communication is through a weekly newsletter - and regular course updates to a members page on Facebook - which at the moment is just telling us the courses are closed again..

HeftyHacker

Visit site
What are we using as the parameters for club to tech savvy?

Let's face it, they should all be using the generic online booking systems that are available. We use How Did I Do, for comps and ESP Leisure for general course bookings and account management - really easy to login, book a time, top up the levy card etc.

Jamie's club use Club V1 which I'd imagine is the more popular, again easy to use.

I do feel my club are lacking on their social media presence, something I think a lot of clubs are guilty of..

Communication is through a weekly newsletter - and regular course updates to a members page on Facebook - which at the moment is just telling us the courses are closed again..

This. I once offered to take on the social media side of our golf club as I thought it was doing a terrible job of keeping relevant and showing the course off. Got a snotty email back asking me for my experience in marketing etc. before they would consider me.

I just sent a reply back saying I didn't have any specific experience but that given our course boasts some of the best views in the North West and in summer is witness to one of the best sunsets in the country I'm sure I could do better than the constant posts showcasing a guest singer performing to an empty room and a pixilated photo of a duck paddling in an algae covered pond.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But when you do find the wowser one will you get the cheque book out?
I'll let you know if it happens. No sign again this year that the dust will needed to be blown off 😄.

I know what you are getting at but ultimately those needing cheques or paper forms are in such a minority now. If I see that, I instantly leave their site, or golf empire, and look at what other Opens are available that day elsewhere. People have options and will choose the path of least resistance. Ultimately, it is up to those clubs, are they bothered about dwindling open numbers? The chance to promote their club to potential new members or to people returning to pay standard green fees.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

I'll let you know if it happens. No sign again this year that the dust will needed to be blown off 😄.

I know what you are getting at but ultimately those needing cheques or paper forms are in such a minority now. If I see that, I instantly leave their site, or golf empire, and look at what other Opens are available that day elsewhere. People have options and will choose the path of least resistance. Ultimately, it is up to those clubs, are they bothered about dwindling open numbers? The chance to promote their club to potential new members or to people returning to pay standard green fees.
If it's a good open on a good course it will fill up regardless of whether you enter online, by cheque or by carrier pigeon.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This. I once offered to take on the social media side of our golf club as I thought it was doing a terrible job of keeping relevant and showing the course off. Got a snotty email back asking me for my experience in marketing etc. before they would consider me.

I just sent a reply back saying I didn't have any specific experience but that given our course boasts some of the best views in the North West and in summer is witness to one of the best sunsets in the country I'm sure I could do better than the constant posts showcasing a guest singer performing to an empty room and a pixilated photo of a duck paddling in an algae covered pond.

Probably a great example of something that can be described as both a massive benefit of members owned clubs and/or their biggest failing

Using members who can do xyz can save (or cost) the club thousands depending on the standard of work

(obviously not making any judgment of your own abilities just the scenario)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I at least know where my cheque book is - quickest way to get sort no. etc

Last cheque used December 2019 last few cheques all read Seniors Xmas lunch.

Even the Seniors have now moved to bank transfer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never ceases to amaze me how many people say they will cut off their nose to spite their face. Yes it's an inconvenience to post a cheque but if you want to miss out on a good event over something so trivial then more fool you.
A bit more inconvenient than that - I'd have to make a special trip to the bank to acquire a chequebook in the first place. And then watch a YouTube tutorial on how to write checks properly to remind myself how you do it. 😆 If they have such archive footage on YouTube that is, I'm not sure.

D

Deleted member 23270

A bit more inconvenient than that - I'd have to make a special trip to the bank to acquire a chequebook in the first place. And then watch a YouTube tutorial on how to write checks properly to remind myself how you do it. 😆 If they have such archive footage on YouTube that is, I'm not sure.
I'm sure you'll figure it out. Eventually.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My last club was strongly built around the members who were up the club 7 days a week. Much was done by notice board, there was still a book for reserving comp slots for those who did not like online. It was an analogue as possible because that it how the older members of the club liked it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I at least know where my cheque book is - quickest way to get sort no. etc

Last cheque used December 2019 last few cheques all read Seniors Xmas lunch.

Even the Seniors have now moved to bank transfer.

Wouldn't the quickest way to open your phone and log into online banking using your finger print?

I can do that without leaving my sofa.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Wouldn't the quickest way to open your phone and log into online banking using your finger print?

I can do that without leaving my sofa.

Yep if you have it set up.

“Hay Siri Open Santander App”
while looking at the phone. Don’t even need to touch it.

But you have to run the risk of the government or hackers stealing your identity and all your money 🤣

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep if you have it set up.

“Hay Siri Open Santander App”
while looking at the phone. Don’t even need to touch it.

But you have to run the risk of the government or hackers stealing your identity and all your money 🤣

To be fair the government steal a large % of my money anyways . Blooming Tax.

I don't think theirs much left after the wife and kids got their share

😆

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
To be fair the government steal a large % of my money anyways . Blooming Tax.

I don't think theirs much left after the wife and kids got their share

😆
Indeed. My wife and kids get to it much quicker than any hacker would