Technology & Golf Clubs

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some of the comments on Homer's thread about communication got me thinking about how little technology is used at our club. Just about all communication is by poster in the changing rooms and handicap updates are on a big printout on the notice board. Yes we have a computer for comp scores and a web site but that is about it.

Now I compare that do the ways I use tech at work. We have email shots, text reminders, live updates on the web all sorts. Now why is that not applied to golf clubs. How often am I scratching around my house to find my club diary to see what, if any, comps are on that week. Why can there not be an automated text or weekly mail shot with the weeks comps. Why do I have to go into the club to find out if I need to pitch up at presentation or if there is a social event on. Relatively common tech can get that info to me.

If I do not have a game set up I have to turn up at the club and hope I can find one and risk a wasted trip. What about a message board for members on the web site where you can set up a game or at least publicise that you are pitching up at a certain time if anyone else is short of a game

If money were no option, why is there no software to sync with smartphones. That could let me download the week or month's comps and events into my phone diary which I could then sync up with my laptop diary.

I know I am dreaming when it comes to most of the above but there are loads of tech applications that could be used at the average golf club which could benefit everyone, help organisation and get more people in the clubhouse so is it time that golf clubs arrived in the 21st century, or are the clubs near me behind the times and is it happening elsewhere.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess it needs someone on the committee to know how to do it, since most clubs wouldn't want to pay an outside agency to do it.

I've thought before though that it wouldn't be difficult to put the fixtures into a Google calendar, which most smartphones could sync with.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even something as simple as putting all of the info for the week into an email and sending a mail shot to all members would be an improvement and really not that difficult

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Is one of the reasons that most clubs dont embrace new technology to a greater extent, that most of the members are at an age where they dont have all the latest gadgets to avail themselves of the information?

Chris

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I think it's an age thing.

I've been on our committee 6 years now. I am still the second youngest of 12 and probably one of two regular PC users, the other being the one who's a year younger than me...I'm 48. Some of the rest are occasional users (e-mail etc) and half will not even touch any of the computers in case they break anything and are totally unwilling to learn.

The point being that unless younger technically savvie people get involved then you are expecting a lot. I know I'm generalising but give it 10 years and you will find a big switch in direction I'm sure.

You may even be able to use mobile phones around the place or perhaps wear some fashionable clothes without worrying who you may be offending :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how it is elsewhere but it would appear to be really hard to get young blood on our committee. Those in situ show no signs of moving on and are quite happily voted in by the long term members. Not having a go, they do a decent job just pointing out that getting young blood on the committee to introduce technological change is easier said than done

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I am still the second youngest of 12 and probably one of two regular PC users, the other being the one who's a year younger than me...I'm 48.

I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting, I'm not biting

Damn!......

..... but MIGHT you suggest at the next committee meeting that you involve some YOUNGER people in the running of the club? Crikey,.... it's called being PROACTIVE. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this is where the club see me coming in. I think I'm lucky in as much as the blog has been noted by some of the powers that be as well as the odd article I've had published in GM (and another monthly mag golf mag) and that they think I can offer a better level of service for the members.

I have been vocal for a while about the lack of planning and use of modern technology for a while and so it's probably more a case of making a rod for my own back but anything has to be better than what we offer. I've certainly got a "few" years on some of the directors and committee members but to be fair I think they want to embrace modern technology but haven't got the skills to do it themselves. It's been very interesting to see that RA isn't alone in this though and that other clubs suffer fromt he "read it in the locker room" syndrome

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Almost everything that can be done via the interweb thingy at our club, is. From day to day notices, management/course minutes to on line bookings for comps. Yes, there are paper backups for those few not online and for formal notices like AGM etc, but most of the day to day info is there in your in-box.

On the club site, all sections are represented and all members can access all sections for info should they so wish.

Even Vets events are circulated on-line :eek:.

We had a Vets comp today with possibly 50/60 entrants, all of whom were quite comfortable (well most of them) with logging in for the comp using their swipe card and entering their scores on the computer after the round. They have even found the button to touch on screen to bring up the live leader board.

I think that it's fair to say that at Sundridge Park we have embraced technology and are using it for the benefit of the club and it's members.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we're quite lucky at our place. We have a dedicated website for members.

They publish all the comps there, with the teetimes when they are drawn. It has a news section. They publish committee meeting minutes and monthly newsletters.

We also get e-mail shots from the club manager with updates about the club, what work is being done on the course over the coming weeks.

We have a guy on the committee that is a web developer and that's his role on the committee. Perhaps other clubs, rather than replacing an existing member with a more tech savvy one, should create another committee position. A communications role and get someone in that does understand modern technology.

The only thing I wish they would introduce is online signup to comps., but that's about it.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I am still the second youngest of 12 and probably one of two regular PC users, the other being the one who's a year younger than me...I'm 48.
..... but MIGHT you suggest at the next committee meeting that you involve some YOUNGER people in the running of the club? Crikey,.... it's called being PROACTIVE. :D

Hmmm, if only it were that simple. We do, they say "no time, sorry", "would like to, but ....", "maybe I will next year" and the list goes on.

I don't think we will be alone in this type of committee profile. Generally, older people have more time, less family pressures and a lot of experience to bring to the table and have often been members quite a long time too.

I'm not complaining about the committee make up, just pointing it out. We have enough IT experience to get by and do have a web site etc. However, to really push the sort of technology mentioned in the OP then I think the committee make up will need a step change which will not happen overnight.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't think of many on our committee under 50, but no problems with new technology. We get weekly emailed newsletters and also reminders of our start times for comps, and who we are playing with. Website has all comp results, tee bookings etc in members area.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We do have PSI and everyone can manage that. Swipe your club card in and touch the screen to register before you go out and then type the scores in at the end. Everyone from juniors the the most senior of our seniors are all getting along with it fine. What we suffer from though is a lack lustre members area on the website (not sure how the main pages are perceived but its hard to be objective if you are a member) which needs a revamp

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
we supposedly have a section website with good things such as competition tee-times, results but if we do I haven't managed to find it.

other than that the club is still at the crayon stage

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could be an idea for a GM Article in this. Send an IT bloke into a backwards golf club and report on how they can be brought into the 21st Century and how that would help members and club officials.