A days golf in Yorkshire. (long post)

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
On Wednesday 31st August a group of ne'er do wells assembled in the car park of Willow Valley Golf and Country Club nr Brighouse, West Yorkshire. The weather, although overcast, was dry, although the sky did seem to be threatening the possibility of rain.

Their reason for meeting was to attend the 2nd Yorkshire Golf Forum Golf Day.

Following introductions and warm handshakes all round, the group entered the clubhouse for pre round coffee and bacon butties. (I have to say the bacon butties were extremely tasty!)

The banter started immediately with the unfortunate event organiser (Drawboy) being on the receiving end of much of it from his South Leeds GC comrade. All light hearted stuff and taken in good spirit as well as creating a warm friendly atmosphere to start the day. It was extremely LIGHT hearted considering Drawboy had quite recently taken up a new diet!

Before the golf started in earnest we all descended on the car park to prepare our bags and shoe up. we then took the opportunity of making the draw to decide order of play. With 11 golfers in attendance it was decided that a 3 ball and 2 four ball groups would be the best way to go. A single Stableford format off full handicap was the decided format for the day. With the draw completed we all moved onto the driving range for a pre round warm up. Judging by the thwacking sound emanating from a nearby bay, and a spherical projectile flying it's way to the perimeter fence, it was clear to see that Beggsy was warming up his driver!

With all balls used up we then left the driving range to gather by the putting green by the 1st tee in readiness for the commencement of play.

First up was the 3 ball consisting of Beggsy, Lump and Burstwickbandit. With all drives safley away, next up was the 1st fourball of Mrman, Drawboy, Gaz and Grumpyjock. All four drives pushed left toward the waiting trees. Fortunately all four balls were found without much searching and in reasonable second shot positions.

The final four ball comprising Albert, Knownowt, Egerst and Mulligan.

And so the round progressed.

From someone who had never played the course (I have played the adjacent smaller Pine Valley course several times.) I found it to be a long and testing set of 18. Well placed and accurate tee shots were a requirement of many of the holes as the undulating fairways were eager to direct an errant ball toward the many bunkers, trees and plentiful water hazards largely in evidence (and hidden) My front 9 found me making my 2nd shot from within the trees on more than one occasion. A ball or two was lost in the seemingly shallow undergrowth. Strange how a ball could simply disappear amongst relatively thin foliage!

Much was made of the water hazards present on the course........... and it was all true. There is water on many of the holes, and several of our number watched on in despair as wayward shots sailed perilously close and often in the said hazards. (Yours truly had the misfortune on 2 occasions!)

The greens, undulating on many holes were a real test of putting skill. Many of us experienced the frustration of watching a good looking putt veer away from the hole at the last roll of the ball! The pin locations were well placed, although I did have the impression that the greenkeeper did have a pretty evil streak on one or two of the holes, which once again confirmed that the course was not meant to be easily beaten.

Many approach shots included the need to delicately place the ball on greens flanked, and on one hole (14th) almost completely surrounded by water. I am confident that many more shots to green would have been completed had the water not been there! The water certainly preyed on the mental side of many golfers game. I would not even hazard a guess as to how many balls the many water hazards had consumed over the years. The 18th had one such hazard running alongside the front of the green. Although not a long hole, the 18th has a large tree obscuring much of the fairway. With the water hazard approximately over 200 yards from the tee, many left the driver in the bag and opted for irons and hybrids, looking at a steady shot from the tee. I opted for a staedy 5 wood, and promptly hooked my drive well left of the tree .............. and into the water!. Playing my 2nd ball at the point of entry, an 8 iron played almost sideways set me up with a similar length shot to the green. Playing to the gallery of the preceeding 4 ball, I fortunately hit my shot high and soft onto the green, much to my relief! Two putts later and it was all over. I had experienced the beast that was Willow Valley Golf Course.

After the last group holed out, we all returned to the clubhouse to stow our clubs, freshen up and assemble in the dining room for our after round meal. A well presented and extremely tasty main course of 2 meat and assorted vegetables with a proper and crispy Yorkshire Pudding went down well with all present. (Apart from Drawboy, who due to his strict diet declined his meal in favour of a glass of water and a chewy diet type nutrition bar) He missed a treat! The meal was delicious and served by the cheery waitresses. The dessert was apple crumble and thick custard which was devoured by everyone, well, apart from Drawboy again!

And so to the presentations.

The trophy for the longest drive went to Lump who gladly accepted his prize, considering up to fairly recently he had been struggling with his tee shots and generally opting for his 3 wood!

The nearest the pin trophy went to Mulligan. Great shot sir!

Mulligan was in the prizes for a 2nd time, but this time picking up the Joker prize for the lowest score. Never mind, the only way is up!

The 2nd prize trophy was presented to Burstwickbandit. Very good shooting.

The man at the top, and taking the 1st prize trophy with 37 Stableford points was Lump. With no balls lost and 9 found he was a happy man. Well played.

Gaz rounded off proceedings with a few words of thanks to all who attended, hoping all had enjoyed their day. (Fairly confident that all assembled voted with an affirmative) A suggestion was made that the 3rd Yorkshire Golf Forum Golf Day would indeed be guaranteed to go into the planning stage next year with a view to hold it around April 2012. Most agreed that they would be looking forward to it.

A good days golf, with good company. I for one enjoyed my day out at Willow Valley Golf and Country Club for Yorkshire Golf Forums 2nd Golf Day. Thanks to all who attended, we hope you enjoyed your day too, and sincerely look forward to seeing you at the 3rd golf day which will be held around Easter next year.

MoonPig

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good write up Basher, I thoroughly enjoyed the day (AKA Mrman), good company and a very nice golf course, well worth another visit in the future. We might not recognise Drawboy at the next meet if he keeps up his weight loss programme plus he will be starving by then so we better make it a 3 course meal!