Clubs not tech savvy

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Drives me around the bend that communication & online payments are so easy these days, yet so many clubs are so poor at communication & using available tech.

It just makes things so much easier.
Every year I book opens at different courses, the ones who offer online booking / online tee times & payment are a breeze & very welcome.
Sadly, they seem to be in the minority.
So often I've had to send off an entry form & cheque.

They often don't acknowledge receiving my entry & don't Cash the cheque for ages, often 6 months or more.
The start sheet is not usually published until about 2x weeks before the event.
I find it really poor that they seem unable or unwilling to drag themselves into the 21st century.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's crazy in this day and age. It would put me off booking those courses, unless it was somewhere special. At that point I guess you just suck it up.

So far I'm booked into 3 Opens next year. All booked online, interestingly all needing CDH numbers for all 4 players upfront (always 4bbb comps). That's new for this season.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's crazy in this day and age. It would put me off booking those courses, unless it was somewhere special. At that point I guess you just suck it up.

So far I'm booked into 3 Opens next year. All booked online, interestingly all needing CDH numbers for all 4 players upfront (always 4bbb comps). That's new for this season.
Same, I wouldn't book an open if you had to send them a cheque, too much faffing about.

ThinBullet

Visit site
I had a moan about this a couple of years ago on a FB group for gold courses, and I got jumped on for about 3 hours. The main crux of their argument was that most people volunteer at golf courses, and most people are retired and have bother using email, let alone a complex booking website.

My point was that it was hurting the club more allowing this, and if they were serious about growth at the club, they should invest in the simple art of communication.

Still got pilled on

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our club really started to go "Tech Savvy" about 10 years ago. The website was upgraded and we use this for bookings, opens, account balance, etc.
They still have stuff on the notice board but most things are now done via the website or the app.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a moan about this a couple of years ago on a FB group for gold courses, and I got jumped on for about 3 hours. The main crux of their argument was that most people volunteer at golf courses, and most people are retired and have bother using email, let alone a complex booking website.

My point was that it was hurting the club more allowing this, and if they were serious about growth at the club, they should invest in the simple art of communication.

Still got pilled on
The most baffling part here is why not just do both? Keep your noticeboard if you wish but most people under the age of 70 would prefer an email, so do that as well.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my experience at our club

Some tick the box to opt out of all general email communication from the club

Some never read the clubs weekly newsletter which contains a lot of important information

Some read once and forget.

A lot never read the noticeboards or specific notices posted next to the PSI computers and above the urinals where we hope tha will not be missed.

A lot simply ignore the what it says on notices anyway.

Hardly anybody actually reads what it says in the Local Rules Book.

A lot do not read or ignore what it says on the scorecard.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
my experience at our club

Some tick the box to opt out of all general email communication from the club

Some never read the clubs weekly newsletter which contains a lot of important information

Some read once and forget.

A lot never read the noticeboards or specific notices posted next to the PSI computers and above the urinals where we hope tha will not be missed.

A lot simply ignore the what it says on notices anyway.

Hardly anybody actually reads what it says in the Local Rules Book.

A lot do not read or ignore what it says on the scorecard.
You forgot Some don't read it properly

D

Deleted member 23270

Never ceases to amaze me how many people say they will cut off their nose to spite their face. Yes it's an inconvenience to post a cheque but if you want to miss out on a good event over something so trivial then more fool you.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never ceases to amaze me how many people say they will cut off their nose to spite their face. Yes it's an inconvenience to post a cheque but if you want to miss out on a good event over something so trivial then more fool you.
Plenty of options out there for Opens. Generally no need to miss a good event as there will be others to choose instead on that same day.

If it's an absolute cracker of a course then you suck it up. If it isn't................

Clubs don't need to put barriers up to put people off from playing there, quite the opposite.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will be in the draw with the takeaway menus that you don't look at anymore because you order online. The dumping draw, because it's where stuff gets dumped.

Oh so filed in storage container B1N

I have 5 current accounts and I believe 1 of them has a cheque book

Think it's in my safe .. last cheque I wrote I believe was for my sister's wedding in 2018? And even then I told her tear it up and I'll transfer it to her.. was more of a nice to open cheque rather than here's a random piece of paper

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My current club is just about ok with the rush to go digital, but it has to be said that the seniors section is far ahead of the main club. The main club seems to revolve around the notice board. The seniors have embraced on-line booking.