Jumping on someone else's booking?

Happened to me yesterday, a party of 3 jumped onto my booking. I always try and get out on the first slot and its the first time anyone else has booked on with me. 3 guys were older and very nice we ended up playing 2v2 and playing for money ? so had a good laugh and i did enjoy it. Thing i dont like about meet new people is why is everyone obsessed about how other people make a living. Met 6 people now playing and the pro secretary and Vice President and everyone one of them wants to know about your business and how you make a living. Ive always said anyone who asks what you do for a living is just trying to calculate how much respect to show you.
For years i would always tell people i was unemployed, i have never and would never ask how anyone else makes there money because im not interested.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Happened to me yesterday, a party of 3 jumped onto my booking. I always try and get out on the first slot and its the first time anyone else has booked on with me. 3 guys were older and very nice we ended up playing 2v2 and playing for money ? so had a good laugh and i did enjoy it. Thing i dont like about meet new people is why is everyone obsessed about how other people make a living. Met 6 people now playing and the pro secretary and Vice President and everyone one of them wants to know about your business and how you make a living. Ive always said anyone who asks what you do for a living is just trying to calculate how much respect to show you.
For years i would always tell people i was unemployed, i have never and would never ask how anyone else makes there money because im not interested.

Its because many men have very limited imaginations, & so rely on a very few topics of conversation, what do you do, where are you from etc

But more seriously it’s probably the networking thing rather than the respect thing. Finding out someone does xyz job when one day you might be in need of a bloke/blokette who can do xyz

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with you, I never talk work when playing golf, never ask someone their job. Golf is an escape from work and yes, I do think people are often sizing you up based on your job.

My mum tells a story about a coach holiday she was on a few years ago. Everyone was old and retired. One couple was an outgoing woman and a reserved man. They treated the man as quite doddery, largely ignored him, centred around the lady. One night my mum started to chat to him and it came out that he had been a brain surgeon. Word got around and suddenly everyone became very respectful of him. Why not before? Human nature :unsure:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm with you, I never talk work when playing golf, never ask someone their job. Golf is an escape from work and yes, I do think people are often sizing you up based on your job.

My mum tells a story about a coach holiday she was on a few years ago. Everyone was old and retired. One couple was an outgoing woman and a reserved man. They treated the man as quite doddery, largely ignored him, centred around the lady. One night my mum started to chat to him and it came out that he had been a brain surgeon. Word got around and suddenly everyone became very respectful of him. Why not before? Human nature :unsure:
Or people may be generally interested in what you do and want to chat as they walk round. Why do people always think there is an ulterior motive?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or people may be generally interested in what you do and want to chat as they walk round. Why do people always think there is an ulterior motive?
I think it often depends how it comes up, how you are asked. I guess I don't like to talk work outside of work so I am quite anti it. Plenty of other things to cover before you need to get to that topic.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Think people are a bit limited - always think there's a holy trinity of questions to get out before the 1st green of work, family and football team and, if you've got much in common, you'll never have to touch upon any of these topics ever again. Sixteen of us have done a golf trip for the past 20 years and I couldn't tell you what half of them do for a job.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Think people are a bit limited - always think there's a holy trinity of questions to get out before the 1st green of work, family and football team and, if you've got much in common, you'll never have to touch upon any of these topics ever again. Sixteen of us have done a golf trip for the past 20 years and I couldn't tell you what half of them do for a job.

Pffft so for all you know 8 of them are Premier League footballers!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its because many men have very limited imaginations, & so rely on a very few topics of conversation, what do you do, where are you from etc

But more seriously it’s probably the networking thing rather than the respect thing. Finding out someone does xyz job when one day you might be in need of a bloke/blokette who can do xyz
I now give a new/ strange F/C a thorough interrogation after an embarrassing incident a few years ago.
I was have my usual bad day missing putts duffing shots and swearing like a trouper. After 5 holes my new F/C Tom asked me if I lived local, I said yes Uddingston, he said me too, me - whereabouts ? , him- down at John The Baptist chapel, me- in the new houses behind ?, him- no in the chapel house, me are you the caretaker ? him- no I'm the parish Priest , I guess your not a catholic .
I was so embarrassed about my swearing and apologised, he replied don't worry Billy this game would make a Saint swear, and I'm no Saint.
After that he told some really funny true life and death stories.
He sadly passed a few years later, RIP father Tom Curly :cry:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pffft so for all you know 8 of them are Premier League footballers!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Had a video sent from my brother last week Teddy Sheringham was playing in their society couldn’t be better no airs or graces just one of the lads playing golf.

I’ve met him before at the pub at White Heart Lane he was happy to give his time to my boy for a photo, top bloke.

Btw he was playing off 4hc and won

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I now give a new/ strange F/C a thorough interrogation after an embarrassing incident a few years ago.
I was have my usual bad day missing putts duffing shots and swearing like a trouper. After 5 holes my new F/C Tom asked me if I lived local, I said yes Uddingston, he said me too, me - whereabouts ? , him- down at John The Baptist chapel, me- in the new houses behind ?, him- no in the chapel house, me are you the caretaker ? him- no I'm the parish Priest , I guess your not a catholic .
I was so embarrassed about my swearing and apologised, he replied don't worry Billy this game would make a Saint swear, and I'm no Saint.
After that he told some really funny true life and death stories.
He sadly passed a few years later, RIP father Tom Curly :cry:

Nice story.

When I joined my club this year I joined in with other bookings and people joined mine, it was a great way to be introduced, especially as I knew nobody there.

The one day, I was joined by an elderly chap, the pro got his buggy ready for him, put his clubs on, the chap was pretty frail. As the round progressed he continued to show me up with his superior game and we got on well, he asked what I do, family etc and he talked about his grand kids.

Around the halfway point I asked what he used to do for a living ‘I was a sportsman and a sports journalist’. I replied’ oh great, what sport did you play?’ ...‘Cricket’... ‘oh, to a good standard?’...‘I captained England a few times’... cue my major embarrassment at knowing who he was.

Such a nice chap, used to play off scratch (played with some of the greats including gary player, Nicklaus etc) and even gave me a bunker lesson!

Just goes to show you can’t judge a book by it’s cover.

FELL75

Visit site
Having just joined a club a few weeks ago. As a newbie i put my name down on my own and see what happens. I suppose there was a little bit of apprehension as you're learning the course and don't want to let yourself down. Nobody wants to look a duffer. Happy to say the majority of people that have joined me have been very friendly. Been a good way to learn some local knowledge both on and off the course and have a drink with afterwards ?

sunshine

Visit site
Nice story.

When I joined my club this year I joined in with other bookings and people joined mine, it was a great way to be introduced, especially as I knew nobody there.

The one day, I was joined by an elderly chap, the pro got his buggy ready for him, put his clubs on, the chap was pretty frail. As the round progressed he continued to show me up with his superior game and we got on well, he asked what I do, family etc and he talked about his grand kids.

Around the halfway point I asked what he used to do for a living ‘I was a sportsman and a sports journalist’. I replied’ oh great, what sport did you play?’ ...‘Cricket’... ‘oh, to a good standard?’...‘I captained England a few times’... cue my major embarrassment at knowing who he was.

Such a nice chap, used to play off scratch (played with some of the greats including gary player, Nicklaus etc) and even gave me a bunker lesson!

Just goes to show you can’t judge a book by it’s cover.

Doesn't sound like Botham or Boycott, I'm guessing Brearley. There's a former England captain at my club too.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Jumped in a booking yesterday. I messaged one of the two who were booked - just to check it was ok - it was. Just what you should do. In much the same way as if I was on the putting green looking for a knock and I saw a two ball on the tee I would not just walk up and join them and assume that that was ok - but I might engage with them and ask if it was ok to join them?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Jumped in a booking yesterday. I messaged one of the two who were booked - just to check it was ok - it was. Just what you should do. In much the same way as if I was on the putting green looking for a knock and I saw a two ball on the tee I would not just walk up and join them and assume that that was ok - but I might engage with them and ask if it was ok to join them?

spot on. we had someone ask to join our 2 ball yesterday, was more than happy with that. It's the ones who just jump on your booking without asking that annoy me, particularly if I'm on my own and there are 2 or 3 of them who I've never met.

we were late getting off, and he was in the slot after us. everyone was held up because 4 ladies who were supposed to be playing at 1.00 didn't turn up until 1.20 but insisted on playing. to make matters worse, they were playing in a texas scramble comp, and weren't letting anyone through, so it was an extremely slow round. there were 3 young lads in front of us who let the ladies in, I told them they should have refused, but I think they were a bit intimidated!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
There’s going to be a lot of this at ours this winter. We’ve been told that, because of the big increase in membership and current demand for tee times, we cannot block out unused slots in tee bookings, and that those who book in and don’t show will be frowned upon. The club are going to have as many playing in 4-balls as they can manage, so lots of “jumping in” to vacant slots will be encouraged.

I’m not a fan, but that’s just me.