Jon Rahm +13 HI

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really like his videos but Rick is a rather strange golfer. He can hit the ball a long way but apart from that, his game is actually pretty poor considering how much golf he must get to play, the players he gets to play with, the fact that golf is his literal job, access to tips, coaching etc.

His putting and chipping is horrifying and his course management is non-existent. It’s rare to see him hit a fairway, stiff the approach and roll in the putt - which most <5 handicappers will do at least a couple of times a round.

He always seems to be scrambling for par and grinding for majority of the round.

The two pros attached to our club rarely play any golf these days. Spotted them once or twice playing a few holes late on a summers evening. They spend their time giving lessons and working in the golf store attached to the driving range.
Both in their 40s and could obviously play when they were younger. One of them is a big lad and hits it a long way. He occasionally puts up the odd video of him bombing it at the range and showing the big club head speed.
I asked him one day when he mentioned he was a member at a local links course when he was young. What was your best score there. 11 under he replied.
Could he do that now? Probably not like.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really like his videos but Rick is a rather strange golfer. He can hit the ball a long way but apart from that, his game is actually pretty poor considering how much golf he must get to play, the players he gets to play with, the fact that golf is his literal job, access to tips, coaching etc.

His putting and chipping is horrifying and his course management is non-existent. It’s rare to see him hit a fairway, stiff the approach and roll in the putt - which most <5 handicappers will do at least a couple of times a round.

He always seems to be scrambling for par and grinding for majority of the round.

Isn't he really out of practice.. I mean he doesn't compete anymore and doesn't practice as much as he should

He said today on his pod he aims to average 72 this year

I mean my pro I been seeing he competes still so his practice is up .. turns out he won my courses pro comp 2 years ago with a 2 day score if -10 which is blooming fantastic.. last year's winner got -2 I think over 2 days

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree - I've watched most of his Break 75s and I'd say he's closer to 5 handicap than scratch.

well, here you go. The guy who wrote the original Rahm tweet is in my golf society. He also got his calculations wrong, and the index would be +10.2, but that’s a different story.

another member of the group did a deep dive into Rick’s last few videos and did the sums…

A7ED87D8-90BB-4914-A7C8-4E2DE73D0858.jpeg

Grizzly

Visit site

He always seems to be scrambling for par and grinding for majority of t/he round.[/

I wonder to what extent the short game stuff is because he rushes with the camera on him?

sunshine

Visit site

Yeah I watched some of the round v Fowler. His swing looks good and he can strike it sweetly, but his wedges and short game are shocking

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I played with an ex pro a few times out in Spain, his swing wasn't amazing but he just put the ball in the fairway everytime, made greens in reg, and took the birdie opportunities when they came along. I think Rick is one of those that tries to play beyond his limits - natural on the break 75 stuff, he's trying to get himself an early advantage, but if he starts to lose shots to the course early on, his game plan is screwed.
Most of us are guilty of doing exactly the same of course.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Ditto...

I like him personality wise, but every time I watch him, I just think that his chipping and putting is absolutely woeful for a PGA professional.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He has explained this a few times in his podcast tho, he needs to practice more and wants to work on that, he knows how to coach and fix people's swings but not always got time for his

I mean butch's son was on the podcast this week, one of best coach's in the world. Plays off 11

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
HI of +13 gives him CH of +15 at ours.
I would love to take him on and receive 20 shots.
The stakes would be 1% of each person's income for 2022.
Worth risking my amateur status for, maybe.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
given that they would have eagle shouts on every par 5 and probably a few par 4s, not beyond the realms of reality

I’ve seen a few 6+ Pros go for course records on YouTube and the less than pristine conditions tend to trip them up on the day.

Dechambeau is probably the most elite I’ve seen on his own channel and it’s all about the odd holes he screws up to be fair.

Jason.H

Visit site
The Plantation course at the Sentry is renowned for super low scores. The US Open is a different prospect. Rahm finished +1 after 4 rounds last year.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Plantation course at the Sentry is renowned for super low scores. The US Open is a different prospect. Rahm finished +1 after 4 rounds last year.

Sure…but that’s not the point. If we played the US Open course, we’d likely shoot a lot more than +41, and he’d have beaten us by 40 shots…

Jason.H

Visit site
Sure…but that’s not the point. If we played the US Open course, we’d likely shoot a lot more than +41, and he’d have beaten us by 40 shots…

Yes I agree with that. The op said Rahm is a +13 handicap which is based on his best 8 scores. A good portion of which was at the plantation course which has ridiculously low scoring. Just wondering if that course is a bit of an outlier?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I agree with that. The op said Rahm is a +13 handicap which is based on his best 8 scores. A good portion of which was at the plantation course which has ridiculously low scoring. Just wondering if that course is a bit of an outlier?

only 2 of his ‘best 8’ came from Kapalua

3 of them came from Jumeirah Earth, which doesn’t really have silly low scoring.