Jon Rahm +13 HI

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Probably but the article I attached on post #9 gives some context to this.

That article sounds like they were playing on a goat track. I’m sure most of us are playing on decent courses, if not quite Tour standard.

Over one round anything could happen.

Ruggy

Visit site
Rick Shiels did a video with a pro and he had birdie looks nearly every hole...it was a pretty good example of the gap!!!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Given our Assistant Pro shot a 58 last year around our short (5800yards) and fairly easy par 69 course (although he is admittedly a very good player), I dread to think what a top level tour pro would do to the place.

By my calculations, on a baked summer course he'd be able to drive 8 or 9 of the par 4's (under 350 yards) and the par 5s would be driver, wedge for him.

But he'd be giving me 28 shots and at my best i've shot a 75, so he'd need to be shooting in the 40's haha. But in reality the occasion would get to me and he'd probably just need to break par.

I watched Jack Senior play a few holes at our place and he was toying with it, driving the 1st and 3rd hitting an iron onto the green on the 4th before we pulled ahead of his group.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Rahm on my course would be a joke. It's very short (5500 yards off whites), so with his length it would essentially be 12 par 3s for him for a start. Our two par 5s are also on the short side so effectively par 4s for him. All of which means he can probably be looking to shoot 54 without even having to play extremely well. Even our longer par 4s are not long for him at around 400 so you'd expect a couple of birdies there too. All in all I'd expect him to shoot 52-56 depending on how well he plays on the day. For us amateurs it's a tricky short game course I guess, and the greens are what makes it tough for us, but for him I doubt they'd be a problem.

I think I'd be getting around 26 shots on him, assuming full allowance. Even then I'd probably have to break 80 to beat him, which I have done several times, but it's less common than the times I don't break 80. My average score is probably around 83.
Grims Dyke may be short, but it's not a pushover. Nobody has ever taken it apart.
I think the course record is something like 62, which is only 7 under par.

The yearly pro-am routinely sees very few of the pros breaking par.
A comment from one of them some years back was "quite a few drivable par4's, but you end up 3-putting anyway").

Admittedly Rahm is on a whole other level, but unless he takes it seriously, he could come a cropper.
Callum Shenkwin played there in a charity event a few years back. The pro predicted he sould score about 58. He shot 76 (although almost certainly not taking things seriously).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Many tour Pros have just been to my home course and one of them shot a new course record 62 on day one (although he couldn’t get near it again for the next three days)
And JR is another level up on the guys that played here… so in a match (which is what the OP posed) he’d destroy me

I’ve never even played from the Pro/rearmost tees!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The biggest area that most pros would struggle with is pace of the greens on the average members course compared with ones on any tours.

Mind the course record at our place is held by an ex touring pro (Lee James from memory) shot during a County event after he had got his amateur status back and he was fairly lowly pro biggest win was the amateur matchplay with 5 wins on the Challenge tour.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Grims Dyke may be short, but it's not a pushover. Nobody has ever taken it apart.
I think the course record is something like 62, which is only 7 under par.

The yearly pro-am routinely sees very few of the pros breaking par.
A comment from one of them some years back was "quite a few drivable par4's, but you end up 3-putting anyway").

Admittedly Rahm is on a whole other level, but unless he takes it seriously, he could come a cropper.
Callum Shenkwin played there in a charity event a few years back. The pro predicted he sould score about 58. He shot 76 (although almost certainly not taking things seriously).
All fair enough of course. We see the top pros ripping it up on TV and expect miracles, but our courses would definitely be a very different test to what they're used to. I'd still expect Rahmbo to break 60 though.

Coincidentally, once last year I was in the pro shop with the guy who has the course record, apparently. I never caught his name, just overheard a conversation with him asking if he still had the course record and the answer being yes. The guy said he barely plays these days, and even had to buy a polo shirt for his round as he didn't own one. :LOL:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If I ever won the lottery mega jackpots I’ve often thought I’d may a tour player £1m to have a round with me at my course, just to see ho they’d tear it up.

The YouTuber, Rick Shiels, who does a regular challenge to break 75 has done some pro matchplays against the likes of Faldo, fleetwood, Westwood and Fowler. Even giving them 10 shots has not helped him win.

In the grand scheme of things he’s been over par and they have scored a handful of birdies to sneak past him. If you played your best golf which would be a few under handicap, I couldn’t see Rahm making 13+ shots up on any course. I mean, if a 7 handicapper shot a 3 over 75, that would mean Rahm would need 18 birdies to win.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
If I ever won the lottery mega jackpots I’ve often thought I’d may a tour player £1m to have a round with me at my course, just to see ho they’d tear it up.

The YouTuber, Rick Shiels, who does a regular challenge to break 75 has done some pro matchplays against the likes of Faldo, fleetwood, Westwood and Fowler. Even giving them 10 shots has not helped him win.

In the grand scheme of things he’s been over par and they have scored a handful of birdies to sneak past him. If you played your best golf which would be a few under handicap, I couldn’t see Rahm making 13+ shots up on any course. I mean, if a 7 handicapper shot a 3 over 75, that would mean Rahm would need 18 birdies to win.

given that they would have eagle shouts on every par 5 and probably a few par 4s, not beyond the realms of reality

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Agree - I've watched most of his Break 75s and I'd say he's closer to 5 handicap than scratch.

I watch most of these as well and I think he has improved a bit more recently based on his US ones, you've got to remember the course ratings at those courses will probably be 3 or 4 over the par. The course rating at the medallist from the back tees that he played Fowler off is 77.9 for example.

But at times this year he's resembled an 18 handicapper!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This week I might have a chance.
Very wet and temp greens at 2* might not suit him.
But in summer off the tips I very much dought it.
Would like to think nobody could give me a shot a hole :eek:

Visit site
Agree - I've watched most of his Break 75s and I'd say he's closer to 5 handicap than scratch.

I really like his videos but Rick is a rather strange golfer. He can hit the ball a long way but apart from that, his game is actually pretty poor considering how much golf he must get to play, the players he gets to play with, the fact that golf is his literal job, access to tips, coaching etc.

His putting and chipping is horrifying and his course management is non-existent. It’s rare to see him hit a fairway, stiff the approach and roll in the putt - which most <5 handicappers will do at least a couple of times a round.

He always seems to be scrambling for par and grinding for majority of the round.