Jon Rahm +13 HI

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Orikoru has just posted some mental stats on the Professional Golf thread indicating that Jon Rahm's last 8 rounds give him a HI of +13. This got me thinking about how I'd do against him at my home course in a match.

It would be in the summer when the greens were true and the fairways firm. Jon can have our Pro as his caddy which takes away the advantage of my course familiarity.

The course is Par 71 and my best round last year was a 2 over 73, this was definitely an outlier. He would be giving me full allowance, so it's 22 shots. If I could shoot that 73 I am getting a shot a hole and 2 shots on SI 1& 2, he would have to shoot around 20 under to beat me, a 51, and that isn't happening.

But, a 73 is extremely unlikely, even with home advantage twitchy bum will almost certainly get the better of me and at best I'd be looking at an 81/82. Now he's looking at shooting a 59. The course record is 62, it is just under 6500 yards, he'll eat it up, but it is extremely tricky.

My guess is that despite receiving 22 shots, he beats me 3 & 2.

Anyone here thinks they can beat him?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rahm on my course would be a joke. It's very short (5500 yards off whites), so with his length it would essentially be 12 par 3s for him for a start. Our two par 5s are also on the short side so effectively par 4s for him. All of which means he can probably be looking to shoot 54 without even having to play extremely well. Even our longer par 4s are not long for him at around 400 so you'd expect a couple of birdies there too. All in all I'd expect him to shoot 52-56 depending on how well he plays on the day. For us amateurs it's a tricky short game course I guess, and the greens are what makes it tough for us, but for him I doubt they'd be a problem.

I think I'd be getting around 26 shots on him, assuming full allowance. Even then I'd probably have to break 80 to beat him, which I have done several times, but it's less common than the times I don't break 80. My average score is probably around 83.

sjw

Visit site
Orikoru has just post some mental stats on the Professional Golf thread indicating that Jon Rahm's last 8 rounds give him a HI of +13. This got me thinking about I'd do against him at my home course in a match.

It would be in the summer when the greens were true and the fairways firm. Jon can have our Pro as his caddy which takes away the advantage of my course familiarity.

The course is Par 71 and my best round last year was a 2 over 73, this was definitely an outlier. He would be giving me full allowance, so it's 22 shots. If I could shoot that 73 I am getting a shot a hole and 2 shots on SI 1& 2, he would have to shoot around 20 under to beat me, a 51, and that isn't happening.

But, a 73 is extremely unlikely, even with home advantage twitchy bum will almost certainly get the better of me and at best I'd be looking at an 81/82. Now he's looking at shooting a 59. The course record is 62, it is just under 6500 yards, he'll eat it up, but it is extremely tricky.

My guess is that despite receiving 22 shots, he beats me 3 & 2.

Anyone here thinks they can beat him?

Am I the only one baffled by this (to me) convoluted way of explaining the scores?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He could possibly drive the green on one of our par 5s - a big 90* dog leg over a lake. Members usually use a hybrid to the top of a the ridge and then similar over the lake to leave a wedge on. Rahm could just cut the corner and get it very close to the green, if not on it. A couple of the other holes would be played totally different to the members as he could carry the hazards we need to lay up to so it would not be a fair fight. In fact we probably wouldn't reach the par 5 I have mentioned as it would probably be over by the time we reached it - hole 14 :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd stick him off the blacks Vs me off the whites

I think if he gave me 3 shots a hole he would still destroy me lol

I'd expect a fair few birdies from him

He could make all but 1 par 5 in 2 no doubt

He could take irons for placement on the tough driving holes

I mean the pro events the winner over 2 days was 2 under I believe and the course record is 66 (par 72) by someone from one of the lower tours

Rham I'd expect him to break the course record in 1 attempt

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Rahm on my course would be a joke. It's very short (5500 yards off whites), so with his length it would essentially be 12 par 3s for him for a start. Our two par 5s are also on the short side so effectively par 4s for him. All of which means he can probably be looking to shoot 54 without even having to play extremely well. Even our longer par 4s are not long for him at around 400 so you'd expect a couple of birdies there too. All in all I'd expect him to shoot 52-56 depending on how well he plays on the day. For us amateurs it's a tricky short game course I guess, and the greens are what makes it tough for us, but for him I doubt they'd be a problem.

I think I'd be getting around 26 shots on him, assuming full allowance. Even then I'd probably have to break 80 to beat him, which I have done several times, but it's less common than the times I don't break 80. My average score is probably around 83.
Whenever I think of Pro's playing "ordinary" courses I always think of this article from the Washington Post. It's always a good read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-d...01/AR2007070101221.html?utm_source=reddit.com

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMG-20200702-WA0005.jpg

So this is our course record.

Whites is now blacks, so if he played off then and I played off the reds (now yellows)

-13 for him and 21 for myself.. 34 shot swing

Might be close ? lol then again most likely won't

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I nearly mentioned it but forgot, but you would have to hope he leaves putts shorts because he's used to manicured lightning greens and things like that. Maybe he'd even lose a ball once or twice without a sea of fans to find it for him. :LOL:
My only real hope would be that he sprayed a few about, if he goes in the trees, he's chipping out. Of course that might happen with driver, but as you said earlier there would be an awful lot of fairways, hybrids and irons off the tee, so more fairways found.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot of the hazards on my course are slopes...left, right, up and down..
With his length he would render, I think, pretty much all of them redundant.
He could reach the flat parts of the sloping holes with ease leaving a flick to the green.
Even getting a shot a hole I doubt we'd get past the 12th or 13th....maybe the 15th if I'm playing a blinder and he can't read our greens....
Every par 5 would be driver, 7 iron at worst whereas I can't reach any of them in 2 unless it's blowing a hoolie downwind.
Would be fun though..

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Probably but the article I attached on post #9 gives some context to this.

I just know when we had pro-ams on my old course, with some of the pros contenders at Q-School so good but not PGA Tour level, they were playing a different course to everyone else, not just better strikers etc but the length from the tee and accuracy made the par 5s driver wedge, a fair few par 4s were driveable, more were chipping on. And that was several notches down from what John Rahm plays at

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot of the hazards on my course are slopes...left, right, up and down..
With his length he would render, I think, pretty much all of them redundant.
He could reach the flat parts of the sloping holes with ease leaving a flick to the green.
Even getting a shot a hole I doubt we'd get past the 12th or 13th....maybe the 15th if I'm playing a blinder and he can't read our greens....
Every par 5 would be driver, 7 iron at worst whereas I can't reach any of them in 2 unless it's blowing a hoolie downwind.
Would be fun though..

get him out with fragger first to break him