Joining a club at this time of year...

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Its a long story that I wont bore you all with but I didn't renew my membership when it was due in September. I didn't want to commit due to work circumstances, however, its looking certain I could remain in ol' blighty after all.

With the weather as it is lately, (pouring down all week so far) my head says wait for the spring but my heart says I need to get out there again - really missing it having not played since September!

So, can anyone see any advantage to joining now, or do you agree with waiting for the spring?

Any thoughts / comments / arguments appreciated.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I'm thinking the same. Although I've been offered a few good deals for this winter as long as I sign up for next year too. Always going to have to play a winter . Unless you go flexible

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you know where you will join then see if you can get a deal eg 15 months for 12. If you don’t know where you will go then be a nomad and investigate likely candidates and see how the courses fair in the winter

D

Deleted member 16999

A lot of clubs whose memberships run Apr - Mar offer the winter as free if you join for next year, see if there’s any of them in your area.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, didn't expect a response so soon. Pretty sure I'd go back to my old club and therein lies a small issue....

Id like to think as its only lapsed for a short period they would just let me renew, no joining fee would be better than half price winter golf. If they're insistent upon the joining fee Id go elsewhere.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks guys, didn't expect a response so soon. Pretty sure I'd go back to my old club and therein lies a small issue....

Id like to think as its only lapsed for a short period they would just let me renew, no joining fee would be better than half price winter golf. If they're insistent upon the joining fee Id go elsewhere.
Where were you a member

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it would really depend on how it was left with the club, if you resigned and said you were moving then i don't see why they wouldn't let you back due to change in circumstances,

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I joined my current club in late October, played all winter, if you intend on playing, join, if you don t, wait til spring, simples.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Our membership renewals are in November, so with a few guaranteed to be leaving, it may open up a few spaces. We currently have a waiting list.

If you know you will be able to play most of the year, links, heathland courses. I would join now. I joined my club in December a few years back,. If the course is a wet parkland then I would definitely wait.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I joined my club round this time of the year and they did me a deal whereby I only paid the usual annual membership (due in February), so effectively got November, December and January FOC. Know other clubs charge on a pro rata basis, so agree its a good time to join and see the course at its worst!!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I joined my current club in late October, played all winter, if you intend on playing, join, if you don t, wait til spring, simples.

Yup I agree, how much ill play over winter is questionable. Its nice to be a member but on the other hand, I was thinking of being a nomad over the winter, playing as and when the weather behaves and just pay for the buckets of balls on the range..

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I was thinking of being a nomad over the winter, playing as and when the weather behaves and just pay for the buckets of balls on the range..

Strange logic if you can join a club now for the same price you'll be able to join come Spring :unsure: and the novelty of beating balls on the range will wear very thin very quickly.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Strange logic if you can join a club now for the same price you'll be able to join come Spring :unsure: and the novelty of beating balls on the range will wear very thin very quickly.
True, but I think given the situation Im in (joining my old club) it will be a case of sign up now and renew this time next year. Perhaps its worth giving them a call to see what deal can be done first.....

OLgolfer

Visit site
I joined a previous club in the winter as they offered a great deal.

If you can’t get a decent deal then I would wait, but you may miss out on signing up for the club knockouts

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Merristwood
I would simply call the office and be upfront and see what they can do. Some clubs will take some money at any time and may waive fees. I think a case of asking the question. There are plenty of other courses in the area to look at and see what they can do. Some courses don't hold competitions over the winter so you could use that time to learn the course before putting cards in and being ready for a new season. I think my biggest concern would be playability and how well it plays in wet weather.