Membership at a 2nd course

Albo

Visit site
Bit of a thinking out load thread.

I am currently a member of a parkland course, which I enjoy to a degree, however, am starting to get bored with it. Course is in good nick at the moment, but when the weather turns it does quickly get soggy. Its also only 10 mins drive from my house. I have 4 regular golf partners who play there and, even with a young family I tend to play 2 or 3 times a week. The practice facilities are pretty rubbish in all honesty, practice green is fine, but short game area and 'driving range' (just a strip of grass between 2 holes where you struggle to hit due to people playing those holes) are less than average. Cost there is £900 a year.

I am now considering joining a 2nd course, which would be 30/45mins drive traffic dependent. The course is a links so will be playable year round on the whole, course is longer and more challenging, and obviously diffetent in the form of links rather than parkland. The practice facilities are great but the thought of driving up to 45 mins to use them detracts from their appeal. And the cost £1200 would be obviously a huge up lift taking the yearly outlay up to £2100 (its still affordable and wouldnt see me selling the kids to finance) . And I know nobody there (though I do play 60% of my golf alone already and im happy playing alone), nor do I know how busy it gets.

Sooooo... what would you do? Or what do you think a total stranger from the internet should do?

G1z1

Visit site
If you want to play a lot of golf in the winter you should get the links membership but the 45 mins drive might get a bit annoying. Playing off matts in a soggy parklands course is no fun. I am on the waitlist for a links course myself but its 30 mins drive for me and thats as far as i would travel myself.

Tinkerman

Visit site
I've been a member of a local muni for years (also with terrible practice facilities) and play with mates there regularly. I was fortunate to be in a position to be able to join another club last month that has two championship courses and outstanding practice facilities. I practice there during the week and play a round at the weekend and then also play a round with my mates at the weekend at the muni. I've joined the swindle at the new course in order to meet members and get games. I've no regrets so far.

If you're lucky enough to be a position to be able to afford both the cost and the time to use both, then go for it. If there's no joining fee you could always do it for one year and if it doesn't work out, don't renew.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Join the Links, you'll meet new friends there anyway but invite your old friends to play at a guest rates.
Give notice and pack in your old club membership completely, I'm sure your friends would be more than happy to reciprocate in a guest rates arrangement (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd go for it, I'm a member at a parkland course 10 min walk from my house, but my home course a links is 20 miles away I play min 3 times a week, the parkland I'd be surprised if I'd played 10 times in the last year. I also used to be a member of a links 45 mies away and used to play there every week,before joining my current club. I have a few mates who are members at Dornoch who travel there every week at least a hours drive to play, sometimes twice.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
As everyone else has said, go for it, I'm a member at a parkland course and links course which is 15miles away.
In the winter the links course is invaluable.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'm curious. How many people on this thread are willing, able or prepared to pay £2100 a year for their golf.

For me, it would have to be one or the other and the ties I have with my home club would keep me there. 29 years a member, 10 minute walk from home, a locker, lots of friends, cheaper option. I for one cannot afford £2100 per year in fees.

In return, I have to live with a soggy course during the winter.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm curious. How many people on this thread are willing, able or prepared to pay £2100 a year for their golf.

For me, it would have to be one or the other and the ties I have with my home club would keep me there. 29 years a member, 10 minute walk from home, a locker, lots of friends, cheaper option. I for one cannot afford £2100 per year in fees.

In return, I have to live a soggy course during the winter.

Many golfers with one membership in the home counties.

I'd join the links and consider whether to stay at the boggy parkland, even though it is closer.

D

Deleted member 21258

Just a thought, have you checked for the shorter winter months, what the availability of tee times are like at the links and if you can play when you wish to(as well as at other times of the year, I have left courses due to this problem)?

Can it be worthwhile, for sure and makes for a nice mix of golf.

Best of luck on whatever you choose.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site

In return, I have to live a soggy course during the winter.

I’m a member at two clubs, one a parkland course the other a heathland/links style.

If you can afford it, it’s worth it in my opinion.