Joining a club at this time of year...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Youre probably right but consider this:

The 3 W's - way out of my price range for the next few years and a waiting list on them at times - money no object Id be at one of them.
Northants - Absolutely loved it, joining fee kills it for me though.
Burhill, hankley common, walton heath - as above.
Camberley Heath - Literally on my doorstep, fantastic condition and a real test but theres no driving range - joining fee not cheap either.
Windlesham - Apologies to any members but I found it boring and it suffers in the winter being boggy (I know a couple of members there)
Sutton Green - No driving range and no short game area. Course is OK but easy compared to Merrist.
Hoebridge - 6 hour rounds in the summer - no way!!!
Farnham the sands - cracking course - Membership is Full
Pine Ridge - fairly good condition but the course is boring - Pyrford is OK but I didnt really enjoy it either.
Sunningdale, swinley forest, the berkshire etc etc - when I win the lottery...
Clandon Regis is worth a look. I know a guy whos joined there - you never know.....

Everywhere else is a bit of a trek - the traffic in recent years around this way has got really bad and Ill be stuffed if I'm going to drive over an hour for a round of golf.
Interestingly, farnham on paper is not far but it will take a good 40 minutes as the 331 is always a queue.
How long would it take you to get to Ascot? Option of going down A30 and left at the Windmill (?) pub or onto A322 and then right and come up at Heatherwood hospital? Would seriously suggest a look again. Greens in good nick and good practice area

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Very good points made. I too am in a similar position. I have a 5 day membership at Guildford and a 7 day at Merrist Wood. I wont be joining Guildford as I think the yearly fees are too steep for a 7 day membership. The only course as it stands right now tempting me to leave crown golf is Puttenham GC. This is due to the fact they have reduced the subs for 7 day and done away with the joining fee, They also give free junior membership. However my son 13yrs wants me to remain at Crown as he loves going to play the different courses that they offer on a Sunday. We played Hampton Court Palace yesterday and Sunbury the week before.

I am not brave enough to play Merrist through the winter but the range is fantastic. Better than any of the other so called better courses around Guidford.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
How long would it take you to get to Ascot? Option of going down A30 and left at the Windmill (?) pub or onto A322 and then right and come up at Heatherwood hospital? Would seriously suggest a look again. Greens in good nick and good practice area

Hey Homer, I don't know why I keep forgetting about your place, I think the thing that puts me off is how short and flat it is. Perhaps I need to come and have another look in the spring.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Very good points made. I too am in a similar position. I have a 5 day membership at Guildford and a 7 day at Merrist Wood. I wont be joining Guildford as I think the yearly fees are too steep for a 7 day membership. The only course as it stands right now tempting me to leave crown golf is Puttenham GC. This is due to the fact they have reduced the subs for 7 day and done away with the joining fee, They also give free junior membership. However my son 13yrs wants me to remain at Crown as he loves going to play the different courses that they offer on a Sunday. We played Hampton Court Palace yesterday and Sunbury the week before.

I am not brave enough to play Merrist through the winter but the range is fantastic. Better than any of the other so called better courses around Guidford.

Hi Parky, I remember chatting to you on here before.

Merrist in winter is pretty miserable but I can kind of dismiss that as I'm a bit of a fair weather golfer - I can do rain - I can do cold - just not cold and rain lol! Ill hit the range and short game area more often during this period when the weather allows. Agree with the range etc its pretty good.

Puttenham is an interesting one, a few of the guys I play with regularly played Puttenham when looking where to go next after Merrist and it was quickly dismissed - I cant remember why now though..... I haven't played it myself but I believe it plays quite short although its tight and hilly in places.

I agree with the crown benefit of playing the other crown courses - Ive played most of them and its great to have that opportunity for no extra cost. I found Hampton court and sunbury quite nice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hey Homer, I don't know why I keep forgetting about your place, I think the thing that puts me off is how short and flat it is. Perhaps I need to come and have another look in the spring.
Not overly short at 6294 off the whites and plays to its SSS 70. The yellows off 5836 is SSS 69 so not a pushover. Definitely worth a look. Just let me know when you fancy a game

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi mate yeah not used this forum for a while. But next year will be interesting if I stay or leave MW.

Puttenham is pretty good played it about 6 times, its mostly on sand and the newer 4 holes which were wetter have had 60k spent on drainage, the range is also impressive although no proper short game area, the fees are fixed at £1250 a year now which I suspect is cheapest for a private course in Surrey. My biggest issue there is the road noise from the hogs back which is a constant noise, maybe better when more leaves on the trees but when I played recently it was pretty noticeable.

I like the idea of playing in hogs back league again against West Surrey,Farnham, Army, Hindead etc.....

Oh and no tee bookings is a big plus too.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
From a neutral perspective that's played both courses 5+ times Puttenham is 10x the course MW will ever be.

Yes, it's quirky in places and very tight in others, but it's always in good condition and greens are very good. As a private members club any money coming into it is invested to make the club better.

Crown are absolutely bleeding MW dry. You mention its good to play other courses, but other than Pyrford and South Winchester none are worth more than a 1 off visit.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
From a neutral perspective that's played both courses 5+ times Puttenham is 10x the course MW will ever be.

Yes, it's quirky in places and very tight in others, but it's always in good condition and greens are very good. As a private members club any money coming into it is invested to make the club better.

Crown are absolutely bleeding MW dry. You mention its good to play other courses, but other than Pyrford and South Winchester none are worth more than a 1 off visit.

Agree as to South Winchester as that is a great course Crown or not. Pyrford was awful when I played it in July

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site

Valid point Diablo, if Puttenham had a short game area Id be all over it I think. I spend at least 70% of my practice on the short game and with no where to practice I think Id be buying buckets of balls at MW often.

Interesting you mention South Winchester, the new head greenkeeper at MW has come from there...

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
The big green next to the clubhouse can be chipped to. The practise bunker is separate to this. They did say they have 3 practise holes to the far right of the practise green however I never ventured up there.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Tim Coombes is the manager there. He will let you have a courtesy round there if your looking at it. No hard sell which is nice

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Haven't played Pyrford in maybe 3 years so happy to stand corrected on the condition. Bit of a pitch and putt on the back 9 off the yellows but a good test off the whites and good conditioning when I used to play there occasionally a few years back.

Not overly surprised if it has gone downhill - it's what happens with Crown courses I'm afraid.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Haven't played Pyrford in maybe 3 years so happy to stand corrected on the condition. Bit of a pitch and putt on the back 9 off the yellows but a good test off the whites and good conditioning when I used to play there occasionally a few years back.

Not overly surprised if it has gone downhill - it's what happens with Crown courses I'm afraid.
Have to agree. Played it in the summer off the yellows and it really was pitch and putt. Very short but the overall condition of the greens and bunkers (unfair to criticise the fairways given the drought) were very poor.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well having played Merrist Wood again after new green keeper was supposed to have made improvements I am left so down at the condition of the course. It must be the worst condition of all the crown courses.

Homer

Visit site
Well having played Merrist Wood again after new green keeper was supposed to have made improvements I am left so down at the condition of the course. It must be the worst condition of all the crown courses.

Not sure it’s that’s good!