Joining a club at this time of year...

dronfield

Visit site
I joined a previous club in the winter as they offered a great deal.

If you can’t get a decent deal then I would wait, but you may miss out on signing up for the club knockouts

I've just done the same - will be using the next 4 months to get to know the course ahead of the comps starting. Whenever you join you are still going to end up paying for the winter months, unless some clubs now offer 6m spring/summer membership?
Rich

Visit site
I intend to try to join my local club here at the end of the year
Going down later in December to see what the exact process is and the chances of it happening
I probably will have to do the full European thing - some kind of play around with the pro or a member and some kind of test about rules & etiquette (in Italian!!)
Fees seem ok (for Europe) and as far as I can see there is no joining fee (though i may be unhappily put right about that)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I would simply call the office and be upfront and see what they can do. Some clubs will take some money at any time and may waive fees. I think a case of asking the question. There are plenty of other courses in the area to look at and see what they can do. Some courses don't hold competitions over the winter so you could use that time to learn the course before putting cards in and being ready for a new season. I think my biggest concern would be playability and how well it plays in wet weather.
Hey Homer, thanks for the reply! Having a chat with them is the obvious thing to do, its a bit more complicated as the course condition left a lot to be desired this year and as a result many left. Its such a shame as the layout is one of the best I've experienced and in great condition would be the best around (IMO) apart from the 3 w's of course. I hate that I love it so much if that makes sense?

I played Hankley, Farnham the sands, Northants, camberley heath and Burhill old this year and while they are all very nice I just kept saying to myself "if only merrist could be somewhere near this condition".

There's new found enthusiasm and a decent head greenkeeper now but obviously will take time to turn around.

Yes, its wet in winter, its biggest downfall but looks like they've dug all the ditches out to help drainage.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
With the rain over the last 3 days thats Merrist as a complete bog until March.

Would 100% wait.

Obviously golf course design is somewhat subjective, but imo, condition or otherwise there are comfortably 50 better courses within a half hour drive - why not be a nomad over the winter and take the time to look around?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
With the rain over the last 3 days thats Merrist as a complete bog until March.

Would 100% wait.

Obviously golf course design is somewhat subjective, but imo, condition or otherwise there are comfortably 50 better courses within a half hour drive - why not be a nomad over the winter and take the time to look around?

Yup, im thinking thats the way forward, Theres plenty to choose from round this way as you know but I also need somewhere fairly cheap, kiddos started at Gordons this year so there goes the subs...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yup, im thinking thats the way forward, Theres plenty to choose from round this way as you know but I also need somewhere fairly cheap, kiddos started at Gordons this year so there goes the subs...
Out of interest, and apologies if I asked this before, but how old are you? I'm asking as my place (not far from Gordons school) does have age discounts into the 30's. We've invested heavily improving our drainage and we're playable all year now. Clearly not a patch on the likes of North Hants, Burhill etc but a friendly and inclusive club. May be worth a look and a game

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, and apologies if I asked this before, but how old are you? I'm asking as my place (not far from Gordons school) does have age discounts into the 30's. We've invested heavily improving our drainage and we're playable all year now. Clearly not a patch on the likes of North Hants, Burhill etc but a friendly and inclusive club. May be worth a look and a game

Wrong side of 40 unfortunately :(

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hey Homer, thanks for the reply! Having a chat with them is the obvious thing to do, its a bit more complicated as the course condition left a lot to be desired this year and as a result many left. Its such a shame as the layout is one of the best I've experienced and in great condition would be the best around (IMO) apart from the 3 w's of course. I hate that I love it so much if that makes sense?

I played Hankley, Farnham the sands, Northants, camberley heath and Burhill old this year and while they are all very nice I just kept saying to myself "if only merrist could be somewhere near this condition".

There's new found enthusiasm and a decent head greenkeeper now but obviously will take time to turn around.

Yes, its wet in winter, its biggest downfall but looks like they've dug all the ditches out to help drainage.

Bloke in my office who is a member there got a sweetener of a month's free membership when he threatened to go so it's got to be worth speaking to them.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a chat with the club, seems like the management and greenkeepers have some new found enthusiasm. Well, actually the head greenkeeper has been replaced with someone who appears much more passionate. Time will tell I guess but a reliable source says it’ll take the Team 18 months to get it where they want it...

There’s an option for “freedom play” a fairly small nominal fee that entitles you to the member benefits like the range and practice area (free balls) and can enter all the comps. And then a credit buying system whereby Saturday and Sundays, in terms of credits are expensive and weekday afternoons are as cheap as chips.

I can’t see me playing much over December, January and February are usually frozen with the end of March being when things start to get going again properly. I think the only problem with this is that there’s the potential to spend credits amounting to near on full price membership.

On the other hand, it’s an opportunity on the nicer days to get out and play - yes, I’m a bit of a wet leg - can do cold, can do wet but not cold and wet :D

Just got to work out if the credit system or full membership is the way to go 👍🏻

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a chat with the club, seems like the management and greenkeepers have some new found enthusiasm. Well, actually the head greenkeeper has been replaced with someone who appears much more passionate. Time will tell I guess but a reliable source says it’ll take the Team 18 months to get it where they want it...

There’s an option for “freedom play” a fairly small nominal fee that entitles you to the member benefits like the range and practice area (free balls) and can enter all the comps. And then a credit buying system whereby Saturday and Sundays, in terms of credits are expensive and weekday afternoons are as cheap as chips.

I can’t see me playing much over December, January and February are usually frozen with the end of March being when things start to get going again properly. I think the only problem with this is that there’s the potential to spend credits amounting to near on full price membership.

On the other hand, it’s an opportunity on the nicer days to get out and play - yes, I’m a bit of a wet leg - can do cold, can do wet but not cold and wet :D

Just got to work out if the credit system or full membership is the way to go 👍🏻
Good to hear the club are trying to turn things around. We got a new greenkeeper several years ago and it's only in the last 18 months or so you can really see his and the teams hard work paying off. The greens this year were excellent and the overall condition of the course is so much better. Hopefully the same can happen to your club.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

On the other hand, it’s an opportunity on the nicer days to get out and play - yes, I’m a bit of a wet leg - can do cold, can do wet but not cold and wet:D

It's for fun at our level; unless it's a club match or an important comp I'm in the clubhouse with you. (y) Just hope there's no bar levy... :ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Few clubs near me offer a trail membership for the winter. Very reduced fee for 3 months to get a feel for the place, then join as a full member at the end. As others have said, at least you get to see how the course holds up over winter before making a final decision.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm in same position. MW is a bog however the open play scheme allows play at other venues. South Winchester for example was one of the best courses ive played. and totally dry.

Will probably stay at MW just for the fact I can play other courses.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Few clubs near me offer a trail membership for the winter. Very reduced fee for 3 months to get a feel for the place, then join as a full member at the end. As others have said, at least you get to see how the course holds up over winter before making a final decision.
We've been doing that. We actually did it in the Spring so people could come along and use the facilities as a member and hopefully take the plunge having seen how good the course and especially the greens are. I know of a few we got, but no idea of the hit/miss ratio.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Merrist Wood is probably the worst course/club around Guildford - and that is a lot of courses!

Youre probably right but consider this:

The 3 W's - way out of my price range for the next few years and a waiting list on them at times - money no object Id be at one of them.
Northants - Absolutely loved it, joining fee kills it for me though.
Burhill, hankley common, walton heath - as above.
Camberley Heath - Literally on my doorstep, fantastic condition and a real test but theres no driving range - joining fee not cheap either.
Windlesham - Apologies to any members but I found it boring and it suffers in the winter being boggy (I know a couple of members there)
Sutton Green - No driving range and no short game area. Course is OK but easy compared to Merrist.
Hoebridge - 6 hour rounds in the summer - no way!!!
Farnham the sands - cracking course - Membership is Full
Pine Ridge - fairly good condition but the course is boring - Pyrford is OK but I didnt really enjoy it either.
Sunningdale, swinley forest, the berkshire etc etc - when I win the lottery...
Clandon Regis is worth a look. I know a guy whos joined there - you never know.....

Everywhere else is a bit of a trek - the traffic in recent years around this way has got really bad and Ill be stuffed if I'm going to drive over an hour for a round of golf.
Interestingly, farnham on paper is not far but it will take a good 40 minutes as the 331 is always a queue.