Moving Branches

GolfChase

Visit site
Hi all

First post here so please excuse me for any mistakes in my approach to this post. I need some guidance on the rules concerning tree branches being moved please.

Player A tee'd off and the ball landed under an overhanging tree. Player A approached the ball and began moving a tree branch with a view to improving the swing path. Player was informed that he is unable to move the tree branches and he immediately stopped moving the branch. The branch swung back to its original position and Player A crouched under and took his shot.

I have looked at the rules and can see that players are unable to move tree branches if it improves their swing path and/or the position/lie of the ball - resulting in a 2 shot penalty.

Would this 2 shot penalty still apply in the above circumstances where the swing path or the ball position has not in fact been improved due to the branch moving back to its original position? Whilst the intention is there for Player A to improve his swing path, ultimately the improvement did not occur.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
If the branch returns to its original position, conditions have not been improved, so there is no breach of the rules and there is no penalty.

If the branch does not return of its own accord, the player can still avoid a penalty by returning it before their next stroke. Rule 8.1c - "There is no penalty if, before making the next stroke, the player eliminates that improvement by restoring the original conditions..."

GolfChase

Visit site
If the branch returns to its original position, conditions have not been improved, so there is no breach of the rules and there is no penalty.

If the branch does not return of its own accord, the player can still avoid a penalty by returning it before their next stroke. Rule 8.1c - "There is no penalty if, before making the next stroke, the player eliminates that improvement by restoring the original conditions..."
Thank you for the clarification.

sunshine

Visit site
Is it a penalty if the act of taking your stance improves the swing path or lie? e.g. the player backs into a branch which can't be avoided.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it a penalty if the act of taking your stance improves the swing path or lie? e.g. the player backs into a branch which can't be avoided.
See Rule 8.1b(6) which says you may

Fairly take a stance by taking reasonable actions to get to the ball and take a stance.But when doing so the player:
  • Is not entitled to a normal stance or swing, and
  • Must use the least intrusive course of action to deal with the particular situation.
You'll find it here. Click on the banner which is actually a link to that rule.

There is helpful advice on what you can and can't do in Clarifications 8.1b/2 and 8.1b/3

Last edited: