Is 'spin' desirable?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why is back spin so desirable? (not the sort that gets the ball airbourne, but the silly stuff).

As an average golfer I am puzzled as to why I ‘need’ back spin. Apparently according to the ball and club makers, if I use the newest balls (designed to offer unprecedented levels of spin combined with distance), and the latest irons with their zip mack spinmill daddy grooves I will get more spin.

Is this a good thing?

As an average golfer I rarely pitch the ball past the pin, with my irons or wedges. It would be nice, but somehow I don’t ever seem to be able to bring myself to do it. Now my ball striking is average, so on the odd occasion that I do hit it properly, I get 20 feet of back spin that I really didn’t need, as I hadn’t got past the pin in the first place.

Now I read recently that if you use an old sand wedge you are potentially missing out on about 3000 extra rpm of spin. Now again, if you have never had this, you base your bunker play on having some run afterwards. So you buy a modern wedge because apparently you ‘need’ this extra 3k, play your normal shot, and suddenly get a load of unwanted spin, (but only on the odd well hit shot, so not consistently), this surely would be detrimental as you would not have made allowances for this. Therefore the more consistent shot is the one where there is less spin, so it runs out a consistent distance. I don’t feel comfortable ‘firing at the pin’ and relying on spin I may or may not get to hold the ball on the green, and for me, the harder I have to hit the shot, the more inconsistent the contact is.

Around the greens, if there is nothing to go over, I will chip with a variety of clubs, none of which require spin (utilities, 7 irons, etc). If I have to go over a bunker, then the most lofted club is employed, but again, I get inconsistent spin, which makes it very unpredictable. It also means I have to hit the shot harder, to get it to the pin in case I get a bit of check, which makes hitting a thin a complete disaster, and for me, a shank is never out of the equation.

Apparently the bigger, square cut grooves on our irons are designed to clear more grass from the club face when hitting out of the rough. Again, if this wasn’t the case, you would just go down a club and hit it shorter, letting it run on.

Apart from a macho ‘did you see how far I dragged that back’ factor, do we really feel this emphasis on spin is a good thing. It seems to me to be directed by watching tournament play from the states, where the emphasis is on ‘target golf’, form professionals (who have to try to take spin off – however that works) and may not suit the average player at all.

And yes, I do have spin milled wedges, and square grooved irons, and I do play provs (where actually, the much derided top flight might be more predictable for the average player).

Comments?

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Totally agree, I think there is pressure on players of all abilities to get backspin, I bought some CG12s recently and dont get full backspin, just enough to stop the ball where I need it.

I have always thought the top range of balls like the prov, Tour models are for low handicapers and I can never understand why someone who play between 12-28 use them, they would be far better using a middle range ball and learning how to control them before moving onto prov's and the top range ones, also saving some cash.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely a macho thing if you have a handicap of 5 or over. I know guys who can spin it back, but always away from the pin!!

Having the short game to utilise and control spin is definitely for the low guys!

Wish I could do it like them though!!!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know this is a bit of a tangent but whenever I open the club face on my wedges to put some spin on the ball and to make it stop I end up spinning the ball right on landing?????? HELP

Backspin works 3 out of 10 times for me. And yes its worth the risk.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree with you Murph. I have watched the players like Ernie Els hit a perfectly good approach shots very close to the pin, only to see them whizz back about 20 feet away. This happens on many occasions.

I believe that backspin is part-and-parcel of good ball stiking, and is something that top golfers cannot avoid. I exclude Tiger from this comment since he is able to put spin on, or take it off at will, and that is one of the reasons why he's the best.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's desirable if you're have the ability to judge your distances accurately and want the ball to stop where it lands. For high handicappers like me who often struggle to reach the hole, it can be more of a disadvantage so I don't play soft balls that would produce more spin. Not that I'm saying my ballstriking is good enough to get much spin in the fist place!

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with you Murph. I have watched the players like Ernie Els hit a perfectly good approach shots very close to the pin, only to see them whizz back about 20 feet away. This happens on many occasions.

I believe that backspin is part-and-parcel of good ball stiking, and is something that top golfers cannot avoid. I exclude Tiger from this comment since he is able to put spin on, or take it off at will, and that is one of the reasons why he's the best.

Tiger's balls are higher spin than the "standard" tour balls, such is his control over his shots.
There were potential problems with people partnering him for the Presidents Cup foursomes because his balls were significantly different.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Def, what sort of ball are you using as this makes a massive difference, srixons etc no matter what model simply do ot have the same soft cover as the prov1's and hx tour/hxtour 56's of this world. Buy a sleeve if you have never tried them before, even for green side chips and pitches the extra spin is evident.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
yes Prov's create more spin, but its useless to mid-high handicapers so whats the point in paying £3 per ball for it to last 2 rounds at best and not be able to use the ball correctly just think you do?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Spin is only your friend if you know how to use it. I'm happy hitting the greens especially in the winter and letting the ball stop where it hits. I've enough to worry about on the course without trying to factor in 10 yards of backspin

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played against a 5 handcapper on sunday who said he wished he got as much spin as i do (i play off nine) i said i wish i got none and played off 5 like you.
For me it's about stopping the ball where you want to not flying it past the flag and zipping it back.

Htl

it's because your putting cut spin on the ball opening the club face will encourage you to cut across the ball

T

thecraw

Tiger's balls are higher spin than the "standard" tour balls, such is his control over his shots.
There were potential problems with people partnering him for the Presidents Cup foursomes because his balls were significantly different.

Thats nonsense, all balls have to conform with the rules laid down by R+A and UPPGA. Nike cant make balls differnt for Tiger.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The balls can conform and be different to what others are used to.

People can use the same ball Tiger does, it just may play differently to how their preferred tour balls do.

(I think this is what steve was driving at) :)

Craigy_Mac

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mate you might be better thinking about how to strike the ball more pure or improve your short game before you worry about spin.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In answer to the original question, spin is not something I look for. Whilst a high spinning ball may stop quicker on the green on the odd time that I hit it right, that same high level of spin also send my drives curving off to the right quite frequently. Happier to stick with a nice intermediate ball like the DX2 Soft or AD333 and have only ever hit 1 ProV in my life. It was quite a surprise to me how straight the Topflite Freak balls that I was trialing were and I may even try another box of them if I can find them in the shops.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think some of the above posters are misunderstanding the concept of spin on a golf course. It isnt about making the ball dance backwards 5-10 yards, its about playing a chip from 60-70 and watching the ball actually stop where you want it to, ive played with top flites etc and the difference is extreme. I am not telling anyone to go out and spend money they either dont have or need to spend, I am simply advising everyone to go out and try out the better end of the ball spectrum. The amount of mid to high handicappers who fire their pitches into the green and watch in horror as it charges on past the flag. Softer balls will go some way to curing this.
They are no worse off the tee either as ive also seen some fellas slice the iving daylights out of pinnacles etc.
All Im saying is give them a go.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Is 'spin' desirable?

No I don't think it is. Control is ultimately what counts.

Pro’s get a huge amount of spin simply because of the purety of the strike (obviously playing a premium brand ball helps too). On many occasions you’ll actually see Pros get too much spin. How many times have you watched a Pro tournament and see them knock a wedge into 2 feet, only for it to sit down for a second and then zip back 15 yards.

Amateurs get far too caught up in massaging their golfing egos at times trying to emulate the Pros by seeing how much spin they can impart on the ball. By all means use a premium brand ball but try concentrating on what the name of the game actually is i.e getting the ball round the course in the least number of shots.

DHM.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Craigy_Mac - My short game is pretty good for a 12 handicapper, my problem in golf is more to do with missing greens in the first place and missing fairways.
My purpose of the post was to spark a debate - you know, it's called a forum.

What I am getting at here is should average golfers like me (and others on here) be buying into all this 'new' equipment, designed for the pros and better golfers among us. What is wrong with a 10 year old wedge, if you can get up and down with it fine?

Out of interest, Nike used to make special balls for Tiger, which weren't commercially available, but then they got taken to court by someone who thought he was buying what Tiger used. Now he uses stock balls.

Brendy - You are obviously a good golfer, to whom spin is a controllable beast, but for us lesser golfers if you know that you won't get loads of spin, then you don't fire into the green unless it is receptive. Pitch it short and run it on. If you knew it would spin less, then it would be more predictable in my view, at my level. At the moment I don't know if it will check up, or fizz backwards. This is why I am heading more to bump and run type shots. If I pitch with my Vokeys I often get a shot which looks fine, and then my playing partners comment 'that checked a bit quick' as it stops 10 feet short. Yes, I will get used to this, but it is no where near as consistent as pitching with an eight iron.

Out of interest, a ball which 'takes' more back spin, must also react more to side spin. This is a double whammy.