Is it the great golf ball farce?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Titleist flipped the balls a few years back
ProV1 is the softer, lower spinner
ProV1x is the firmer, higher spinner.
Although, in reality there isn't a vast amount of difference in performance...but the X is definitely firmer.
And, for me at least, does spin more with driver.
I much prefer the pro v1 and AVX over the pro v1X.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hit a pro V1 then hit a top flite. The sound is different but so is the feel.

As for the premium balls I can’t tell them apart.
Whilst I think I can guess the point you were aiming to make, and likely agree with it, think it is worth pointing out you've compared a model with a brand.

Perhaps Pro V1 with a XL 2000 would have been better choice.

I suspect a Pro V1 with a Gamer Tour (3 piece urethane), would be harder for to tell for many.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's relatively straightforward to differentiate between the ProV1 style, the ProV1x style and the Chromesoft/Tour Response/Tour Soft genres as they have a very different sound and feel off most clubs...
I doubt anyone on here could tell a ProV1 from a TP5 from ZStar or the ProV1x from a TP5x from ZStar XV etc etc....

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was given the pro V1x to help increase my driver spin. I seem to hit low spin drives or was at the time. It did make a difference but for me it didn’t make financial sense. When you start to pull the numbers apart for ball performances and get a list of possible stand ins the Srixon range is good value and then you dig a bit deeper..if it’s £50/12 vs £35/12 for z and ZV , followed by Q tour at £30/12 and then AD333 at £17-21/12 .. you get a perspective.
If they really maintain the greens ie stop compaction then there may be a bit more difference but look at the ball test and look at the numbers.. remember you as an amateur can add huge or remove huge amounts of spin.. so be pragmatic

sjw

Visit site
Titleist flipped the balls a few years back
ProV1 is the softer, lower spinner
ProV1x is the firmer, higher spinner.
Although, in reality there isn't a vast amount of difference in performance...but the X is definitely firmer.
Interesting. I'm not sure where I'd picked that idea up but it's perfectly possible that the source was a few years old.