Is it the great golf ball farce?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just watched the club champion and Paige team up on lie and loft.
Spoiler alert .. Ian suggests Paige drops the TM TP5 ball to go to the pro V1x to generate more spin … but why bother giving her the most expensive ball when you look at the options their are balls that are half the price that spin more and deliver comparable distances off driver etc .. but I guess she gets her balls for free 🤭

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just another head of this 'fitting' hydra.
My own season is in jeopardy this year as I cant get my hands on any left dash at the moment. Could be June if not July, so looks like very few rounds in prospect.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Every year my firm give us All 4 One vouchers. I use them to get premium golf balls from AG.
I get which ever is cheapest. Last few years have been Bridgestones.
I couldn’t tell the difference between them and Pro V/V1

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can hear a golf ball when you hit it, you can’t feel it - imo
Yup, exactly, you also add that to forged heads .. the shaft can mask stuff and also give you different sensations. It’s all very small .. but next time you go for fitting consider it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And keeping in mind that, by time you hear anything, the ball is long gone, and anything you feel or hear is irrelevant not only to that shots fate, but also to any subsequent shots, and your golf performance.
Feel, like looks, and tech stories, is just another part of the nonsense filling the void that is - all clubs are the same.
The golf ball manufacturers were late to that game, but the playbook was already written by the club brochure writers. In many cases, they are the very same people. Someone had the bright idea one day - people are swallowing club fitting...they will probably eat up ball fitting as well !

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not true.
The compression differences are small and if there was a selection of balls put in a band of compressions from 85-95 and you included premium, 2nd tier and random brands that all dropped into that band … you would struggle to determine the difference from a striking perspective.
I suspect you would require a few other interactions with the ball to determine where it was from a market position.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could deffo tell between. 2 piece & 3 piece premium ball. Not sure I could tell the difference between premium balls

Could I tell how many pieces the ball is… absolutely not!

What I can say is that I don’t like a lot of the premium balls (prov1 , prov1x , AVX , chrome soft, chrome soft x ) and tend to give them away. Give me a nice supersoft and I’m good

D

Deleted member 35504

The compression differences are small and if there was a selection of balls put in a band of compressions from 85-95 and you included premium, 2nd tier and random brands that all dropped into that band … you would struggle to determine the difference from a striking perspective.
I suspect you would require a few other interactions with the ball to determine where it was from a market position.
You mean you can't tell the difference off a chipper? :unsure:;)

sjw

Visit site
Just watched the club champion and Paige team up on lie and loft.
Spoiler alert .. Ian suggests Paige drops the TM TP5 ball to go to the pro V1x to generate more spin … but why bother giving her the most expensive ball when you look at the options their are balls that are half the price that spin more and deliver comparable distances off driver etc .. but I guess she gets her balls for free 🤭
I thought the Pro V1X was designed to be lower spinning?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I thought the Pro V1X was designed to be lower spinning?
Titleist flipped the balls a few years back
ProV1 is the softer, lower spinner
ProV1x is the firmer, higher spinner.
Although, in reality there isn't a vast amount of difference in performance...but the X is definitely firmer.