Is it all about the ball?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putting that is? This may be a completely stupid question, and I'll admit it is based on just two competition rounds but is it possible that a ball can be suited to your putting stroke?

The reason I ask is because I have just decided to give the AD333 Tour a go instead of my usual TM TP-X. My putting over the course of this season (and before) has been inconsistent, I'm pretty good at line but struggle with consistency of pace, which is incredibly frustrating and no matter how I try, I don't seem to be able to find any kind of consistency.

On Saturday, I chucked an AD333 Tour on the putting green about 20ft from the hole and knocked it stiff and somehow it just seemed to feel right but it was just one putt. So I spent 15 minutes knocking balls from different distances and left every one at tap in distance. Odd I thought, and it's only the putting green.

Then I played 36 holes and it felt like I had it on a string, I didn't 3-stab all day which is probably the first time all season and barely had to work for a 2-putt (the rest of my game is clearly still a work in progress :D)

So is it possible that a ball can suit your putting stroke or was this just one of those days?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shows how much is personal preference.

I picked up a box of Ad333 Tour as they were cheap in Sports Direct and I don't really like the way they come off the putter, feel like they rocket off the face. Won't be buying them again, much prefer Prov1x or the Nike Platinum baws.

Were you often short before and now getting to the hole?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with a single figure mate (6HC) the other day who had forgotten to bring any golf balls with him. Instead of buying some he lowered himself to use some of my soft feel Dunlops from Sport Direct.

At the end of the round he was off to get a box. But then again Dunlop have a long history of making golf balls.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Combo of putter and ball and personal preference for me.
I like a milled face putter so most firmer balls feel, well, too firm..and I find control more difficult
With an insert, a firmer ball may feel and perform better depending on the insert...
There is a perfect mix for everyone - just got to find it.
I think my ProType 2 ball and Chromesoft could be mine...😀

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above, face of putter and cover of ball can mean some balls are very different for different people. Which is usually the reason that some people prefer a milled face to an insert or the reverse.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shows how much is personal preference.

I picked up a box of Ad333 Tour as they were cheap in Sports Direct and I don't really like the way they come off the putter, feel like they rocket off the face. Won't be buying them again, much prefer Prov1x or the Nike Platinum baws.

Were you often short before and now getting to the hole?

That's interesting, leaving it short is my main issue. I didn't feel like they were coming off the putter that quickly, I just made my normal stroke and the ball seemed to go the distance I thought it should. I've used Srixon soft feel before and they seemed to jump off the putter as though they were allergic to it, this just seemed right.

G

guest100718

not a bad ball the 333 tour. nothing like the regular 333. adn can be had pretty cheap too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm back using my milled Odyssey #9 and was playing AD333 (not the tour) on Saturday. Didn't like the feel and putted horribly. Put some Z stars and Pro V1x in the bag for the comp yesterday and it instantly felt better. No idea if it was in my head, the fact I'd played the day before so knew the pin placements and the speed but I think the OP is definitely onto something

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Must say 6that over the last 3 or 4 years since I got back into golf I have tried Lord knows how many differant balls. I nearly always end up back with the ad333. Started today with the srixon distance and after two holes of dodgy driving pulled out the ad 333 and smashed it. But irons and putting as well it feels "me". When I got fitted at Ping the balls they use are ad333. If it's good enough for Ping it's good enough for Tash.
As daft as it seems I too bought some ad333 tours but they just did not seem the same or better. Horses for courses I suppose.
bought 24 of them in one box from sports direct for £26 if memory serves me right.

oh ah, without boring you, ave seen some people putt with the ball between the eyes when looking down. Sometimes it looks like the ball is stalling as soon as it is hit. I watched MIB and his putting stroke just managed to get the ball rolling as soon as it was hit.

Last edited:

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
The best ball I have found for my game is the humble Pinnacle Gold Distance. I do not generate a lot of spin. It always feels good off the putter for me (using a Ping Eye2 putter) as well. They are consistent from ball to ball and for me, soft enough on short shots compared to some of the harder balls like Top Flights, etc. They also definitely give me a few more yards than urethane balls I have tried.

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
Been wondering this ball-query myself lately, have been experimenting with different balls such as the 333, 333 Tour, Wilson DX3U lately but keep going back to a Pro V1 as it seems to fly straighter and roll better on the greens for me. Whether it's a psychological or not I don't know, just a shame it couldn't be a cheaper option that suited me so well :D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see where your coming from. My favorite ball for putting is the TM AEROBURNER Pro. I like firmness off the putter face, makes it feel like I can stroke it rather than hit it.

In fact I'm very impressed by the ball. Only problem is I can't seem to control them very well on half wedge shots and keep hitting it too far.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I agree that the feel off the putter face can be different with different balls. But I would argue that the moment when you feel it, it is too late anyway and the ball is already on its way, so I doubt it makes much difference for the actual roll. I would be interested in a robot test to see if different balls really roll that differently when struck the same.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's that old chestnut of feel. I've used the same type (ProVIx) for ages as A, I like them and they suit my game, but B I know what to expect from it on a green and only need to adjust to daily conditions not the ball type. Having said that I know a few very good putters who will play anything. Crap answer, but hey.