I have looked into the cold dead eyes of slow play and realise it is futile

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a beautiful Sunday morning, with the course looking the best it has ever done, I was put in a group of 3 in one of the earliest groups. Ahead of us were only two balls, who quickly disappeared. One of our trio was a reasonably quick player, I am, but this one guy managed to jack up the entire field so that play behind us was slow for the first I don't know how many groups.

This guy did not care about the other 2 in his group, let alone anyone behind. He would talk and walk about when others were putting, he would plant himself in the middle of the teeing ground when it wasn't his go. I lost count of asking him to move or not move, and despite stopping and looking at him waiting for him to stop talking he would be at it again in a holes time.

This guy never watched where his ball was going, despite the rough being the highest it's been in years. The other guy and I found his ball 90% of the time, and he was in the rough A LOT. He would often walk many yards passed where his ball was and start tramping about until me or the other guy came over and found it for him, miles from where he was. He would routinely leave his bag inexplicably far from where he was hitting and would often walk back to change club despite there being literally no point in it, the rough was so deep it was impossible to do anything but hack out for someone of a technical ability and strength far greater than any of us in that group.

We waved 2 groups through, each time because he was acting the maggot, each time slowing up play considerably, and all attempts to speed up on our part were thwarted by him. On allowing groups through he would wait until they were 250 yards away to top it 50. On the 13th tee, me with the honour and seeing the obvious impatience of the group behind, I rushed my tee shot and walking to the other guy said "I rushed that", to which he said "I don't know why we are bothering", pointing to the problem, as instead of going he stood 10 yards off the tee box watching some guys on a distant green putting. I walked over and said "sorry chap but we really are losing ground on the group ahead and the group behind are obviously annoyed so can we speed up please?" He looked at me as if I had just asked him to let blood on the tee ground in deference to a distant god. It was pretty frosty after that, I was annoyed with him and he probably thought I was a -insert expletive here -. Needless to say, he made absolutely no attempt to speed up, if anything he got worse. I let a good round go to pot because of him.

We let groups through but inevitably the impact was felt for many groups behind.

Selfish, inconsiderate, oblivious. Try issuing a set of guidelines to deal with that. He shot 102 gross off a handicap of 17. Would a penalty shot really bother him? I doubt it. I'm just glad I know what spin up he plays in so I can avoid teeing it up for two hours after it.

1 man in an otherwise fast group. Is it any wonder we have 5 hour rounds?! I hate to say it but slow play comes down to the individual, not their ability (my regular playing partner is off 25 and plays as quickly as anyone in the club), but their mind-set. I can honestly say if I was paired with him again I'd N/r on the first hole and go home, I'd rather do the garden than waste a day in frustration.

And I hate gardening.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Good on you for having the patience to put up with it for as long as you did. Unfortunately, I don't come with a diplomatic control button. He'd have got it after a few holes, with me chipping away at him, and if there was no improvement by half way/nearest point to the clubhouse he would have been left out there.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had a guy at our club who was always to blame for slow groups and yet never thought it was him to blame no matter how many times he was told. Finally at a roll-up draw one Saturday morning, his ball came out and the call was "Hey Cobweb, you're in the second group".
"Why am I called Cobweb?"
Of course at which point most people sniggered but thankfully the Club Captain let him know in no uncertain terms why and what the problem was. "And if you carry on in the same vein, you'll be in a group of one on your own at the back".
Problem solved.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Curls I think you did very well to hold it together for as long as you did. I'm with Brian on this, closest point to the clubhouse and I would have been off!

One of my biggest failings is that I don't suffer fools gladly as people on here may have noticed :whistle:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The answer is to be patient and understand that other people like to take their time on the course, be courteous at all times and dont stir up any trouble and when you're finished, let his tyres down

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The answer is to be patient and understand that other people like to take their time on the course, be courteous at all times and dont stir up any trouble and when you're finished, let his tyres down

:thup:

Though if he drove his car like he drove the ball I doubt he'd notice the difference.

S

Snelly

I would have asked him to be completely ready to play when it was his turn at all times, by the time we'd reached the third tee. I find slow play totally unacceptable.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what your describing is actually slow play? Mores the point his lack of etiquette and awareness of his actions has contributed towards it being painful for you and your pp to wait for him to shut his gob when your taking a shot, and standing in stupid places and not being attentive in where his ball finished. Personally, I would of looked where he was looking all the time knowing he was in the wrong place and let him loose his balls and him possibly NRing his round.

Unfortunatly you let one individual affect your game to the detriment to yourself. He didn't care what you said to him and selfishly and purposely did it even more.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If its a recurring issue and it's happened before, mention it to the club. It may be the only way he'll learn if they bring it up with him. Of course they may not give a monkeys and so you or the next unfortunate group has the same issue next weekend

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me, sometimes too fast a round can be just as frustrating as a slow one.

When the course is busy and no way you can let groups through but they continually make you feel rushed every shot you are about to play. Hitting up when you are still just about in range and standing with arms folded glaring at you etc...

If you go to play a round of golf you should expect between 3 - 4.5 hours a round IMO. Anything more and it's too slow, anything quicker and it feels rushed. Unless of course it is very quiet and it's just you and your mate out can see me playing rounds in under 3 hours then.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was the very point I was raising in one of the many other slow play threads. Only takes one person to slow the whole course down and some of them, as in the case, just don't care. Nothing you can do, and nothing most clubs are willing to do anything about either.

My last club did have a good solution. In comps it would put the slower players out at the end of the draw so they didn't hold up the quicker players. I used to get put out in the first couple of groups and we'd be done in 3h. Bliss.:whoo:

DCB

Visit site
Too many diplomats here. If no one tells him to speed up because he's too slow then he'll never change. A non subtle comment after the game would perhaps have enlightened him. If you play early in the day you need to be able to keep up with play, it's as simple as that. If you can't keep up with play, it's time to pick a later tee time 😁

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Curls I think you did very well to hold it together for as long as you did. I'm with Brian on this, closest point to the clubhouse and I would have been off!

One of my biggest failings is that I don't suffer fools gladly as people on here may have noticed :whistle:

Not a failing, fools need to know they are fools otherwise they will never change