Washing machine expert Q

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a look at AO.com and realised that all energy labels have changed .. so my old hoover A++ could now be F!!!
So looking for another A one. I usually go Bosch and usually from John Lewis. Currently this one is taking my fancy

Or this

I have just realised that machines that do more than the standard 10kg seem to be less ‘energy saving’ than 10kg machines even though they are graded as A
TBH, of the 2 you list, I would go for the Bosch, without any doubt. However, if you look for te Siemens equivalent, it may cost a little more but normall they have a 5 yr warranty, just remember you have to register it to get the full term. And that applies to all brands.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the cost of an extended warranty over 5 years compared to a new machine in 5 years time? Does it cover wear and tear or just faulty parts that you have to prove are faulty? Strewth, we bought our Currys machine for 150 quid at least as far back as 2019 on the basis that if it only lasted two years, replacement would be better than forking out £600+ pounds for a Bosch/AEG which would suffer from aging problems if we kept it long enough to justify the price.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
TBH, of the 2 you list, I would go for the Bosch, without any doubt. However, if you look for te Siemens equivalent, it may cost a little more but normall they have a 5 yr warranty, just remember you have to register it to get the full term. And that applies to all brands.

Would go for Siemens next time, just had our kitchen done with all Siemens stuff, very happy with it.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That Bosch is the leading contender too… its with 5 yr guarantee on John Lewis + disposal .. can’t fault it

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If I had a washing machine last 8 years I would be ecstatic.

That said, and not wanting to hijack a thread but someone needs to ask bunker magnet what he thinks is the best washing machines on the market so we can tell our wives.
Should they be brushes or inverter motor 🤔

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Bosch I just ordered £549, equivalent Meile is £1100… for an untrained eye, can’t justify it
And that Bosch will probably serve you well, but the difference is there if you know what you're talking about or the person selling you the machine is able to explain why it's more expensive.
Just for example, the cabinet on a Miele is enameled not spray painted. The counterweights are cast iron not concrete. The outer drum (on most of the them, still, now) is stainless steel and not plastic.
The bearing diameter is larger so able to deal with the stresses of a full load and fast spin. The suspension dampers are a good quality hydraulic ram and arm, not a greased plastic shaft forcing air.
Their elctronics are vastly superier, but if they go wrong are expensive...but they hardly go wrong.
The machine is assembled with consideration to a tech being able to repair them.
There is more, but I'm sure you get the drift.:)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And that Bosch will probably serve you well, but the difference is there if you know what you're talking about or the person selling you the machine is able to explain why it's more expensive.
Just for example, the cabinet on a Miele is enameled not spray painted. The counterweights are cast iron not concrete. The outer drum (on most of the them, still, now) is stainless steel and not plastic.
The bearing diameter is larger so able to deal with the stresses of a full load and fast spin. The suspension dampers are a good quality hydraulic ram and arm, not a greased plastic shaft forcing air.
Their elctronics are vastly superier, but if they go wrong are expensive...but they hardly go wrong.
The machine is assembled with consideration to a tech being able to repair them.

In our new kitchen, we r getting a Meile hob… hopefully it is as well engineered (also a Siemens iq300 dishwasher)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In our new kitchen, we r getting a Meile hob… hopefully it is as well engineered (also a Siemens iq300 dishwasher)
RE the dishwasher...... the ones with the plastic (polynox) base are no where near as good as the full stainless steel cabinet models.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Rather overengineered just to wash my shreddies don't you think?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Miele all the way. Our dishwasher and washing machine are both over 10 years old. Cylinder vacuum is over 30 years old.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
RE the dishwasher...... the ones with the plastic (polynox) base are no where near as good as the full stainless steel cabinet models.
No idea which that is… we r quoted for a Siemens iq300 fully integrated version

My understanding is that these days most of the brands - candy, indesit, beko etc are all manufactured by the same company out of Turkey..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea which that is… we r quoted for a Siemens iq300 fully integrated version

My understanding is that these days most of the brands - candy, indesit, beko etc are all manufactured by the same company out of Turkey..
Indesit and Hotpoint and now owned by Beko, however they still make their own machines that are different from the Arcelik group which is Beko, Blomberg, Montpelier and Grundig.
Candy own Hoover.
Electrolux own Zanussi, AEG,amongst others
BSH group is Bosch, Neff and Siemens
Miele is Miele.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First thing I would do is lid off and check to see if a spring has broken or come off it's mounting.

I had the bearing go on mine.

I am very proficient at my own repairs I looked at how to replace it on YouTube and bought a new machine. I reckoned it was a 4hour plus repair plus cost of a new drum. get someone in at £50+ hour and the cost just does not make sense.

Some machines do not let you change the bearing with some it is a whole new drum

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some machines do not let you change the bearing with some it is a whole new drum
That I'm afraid is the way many have gone, welded plastic outer drums that do not allow their seperation and thus when bearings go, or even something as much as an unremovable bra wire its invariably a new machine. However, we have oursleves to blame largely for this as the manufatcurers are all looking for ways to reduce costs as for the consumer, price is everything and quality is rarely a concern on something as mundane as a washing machine;)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That I'm afraid is the way many have gone, welded plastic outer drums that do not allow their seperation and thus when bearings go, or even something as much as an unremovable bra wire its invariably a new machine. However, we have oursleves to blame largely for this as the manufatcurers are all looking for ways to reduce costs as for the consumer, price is everything and quality is rarely a concern on something as mundane as a washing machine;)
That explains where my weekend bra has disappeared