Washing Machine draining Q

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a hoover washing machine. Last night it came up with an E003. Looked it up and it says the filter is clogged and things might be stuck and hence not draining. Sure enough, unloaded it, cleaned it. It had some small lego and other fluff in it.
Nice and clean now. Ran another cycle, but still comes up with E003 error. Cant see the problem. Any engineers here who can help. I am assuming there might be a need to reset it? (or not)

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Not an expert or anything like that, just off my own experience, try searching make & model number along with the error code, there are a couple of white goods forums about that have some very knowledgeable people on, the problem may be quiet common.
I had similar with a dishwasher and just replacing a resistor on a circuit board, a know fault, cost all of 50p to repair.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thankyou for the comment:)
Does it drain at all, or just very slowly.
If you had Lego in the coin trap, my initial thoughts would be theres still some in the sump hose (which is the hose from the outer drum to the filter housing) and this is restricting the flow of water. It could also be a blockage in the drain hose, which may free up and flow out if the machines draining and youre able to shake and move the drain hose about.
This though is one of those issues, where the sounds made along with the visuals will lead to a probable outcome:)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thankyou for the comment:)
Does it drain at all, or just very slowly.
If you had Lego in the coin trap, my initial thoughts would be theres still some in the sump hose (which is the hose from the outer drum to the filter housing) and this is restricting the flow of water. It could also be a blockage in the drain hose, which may free up and flow out if the machines draining and youre able to shake and move the drain hose about.
This though is one of those issues, where the sounds made along with the visuals will lead to a probable outcome:)

So drained the front, and nothing in there.. our front just has a turning piece, no hose there. After driaing the front, ran another cycle and it showed the E03 message again. Saw a troubleshooting video which said drain the drain pipe at the back Tried moving it.. weighs a ton.
Did a bit of that, not much water there. Followed advice provided by Scooter from Tech Support.

The error message seems to have gone. ran one short cycle and still no message. Will check when the next full cycle is run.

Tnx for all inputs.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The sump hose is a corrigated rubber hose from the outer drum to the filter housing, it's entrance is normally visible on the inner side when looking into the coin trap void (with the pump impellor or turning piece as you call it, at the back.) I doubt whether you will see into the sump hose or be able to feel far enough into it either, but anything in it could well restrict the water flow and trigger the error message.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well it worked for a few days... now we have a new problem.. E02 (water blocked)... but it is interesting.

I can see the water getting into the drum... but instead of filling up, it drains without staying in the drum... at the end of the filling cycle, it stops with a EC02 error. Completely random.. The machine has just recently been put into that space.
Google says to check for kinks.. but i can find one in both the inlet and outlet. wits end

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had similar problem drum not emptying and water running out of bottom of machine I looked in the bottom front flap of machine and all seemed clear, just about to give up but decided to look up pipe with light on my phone.

I saw what turned out to be a two pence piece blocking the pipe managed to get it and that was all that was wrong.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had similar problem drum not emptying and water running out of bottom of machine I looked in the bottom front flap of machine and all seemed clear, just about to give up but decided to look up pipe with light on my phone.

I saw what turned out to be a two pence piece blocking the pipe managed to get it and that was all that was wrong.
i just had the most bizarre solution that would put @Bunkermagnet to shame... like you i cleaned out the filter, removed kink in the inlet pipe. You could see that the inlet coming into the drum but was flowing out straightaway without hanging about. So i lifted the outlet up - effectively creating some back pressure.. and hey presto water stayed in!!! so i have now raised the outlet over a temp step (to simulate a ubed).. and it seems to be working. No idea what is going on.

As part of the building work, the plumber moved the washing machine into the garage and the outlet is lying on the floor discharing into a manhole.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The drain hose is syphoning straight out or too low. It needs to be raised up about 30/36 inches and have an air gap between the end of the the drain hose and the water in the rap (if it's in one)

It would'nt put me to shame, I wouldn't install or leave it like that:)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The drain hose is syphoning straight out or too low. It needs to be raised up about 30/36 inches and have an air gap between the end of the the drain hose and the water in the rap (if it's in one)

It would'nt put me to shame, I wouldn't install or leave it like that:)
I must say, i learnt something complete by accident... looks like this is called Siphoning!!!

Does Washing Machine Drain Hose Need to Be Elevated?​

The quick answer to the above question is YES. Yes, the washing machine drain hose needs to be elevated.
For one, elevating prevents siphoning – when the washing machine fills up and drains simultaneously. Mainly, siphoning occurs when the drain pipe is pretty low, lower than the minimum drain pipe height of 24 inches, judging by earlier discussion.
But still, siphoning may occur when you push the washer’s drain hose too far down the drain pipe. Overall, the front loader’s drain hose shouldn’t be more than 7 inches down the drain pipe, and in top loaders, it shouldn’t sit more than 5 inches down the drain pipe.
The other thing to note is that raising your washing machine’s drain hose prevents kinks and blockages as it improves the flow rate.