Washing Machine Question

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
So my washing machine has stopped washing.... the cycle starts, the drum fills with water, and then it stops. I can drain it no problem, and I have checked the filter and all clear - any experts, (or otherwise!), with any suggestions?

TIA.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Make and model is always needed for greater help, but sounds very much like motor brushes.

I had this on a washing machine, it got through bushes like I get through balls on a lakes course. They were changed that regular the repair man showed me how to do it. However get somone out to look at it, I once treated someone at Harworth pit who decided to mend his washing machine. Would of been a good idea to turn it off first, it threw him across the kitchen and he now has a lovely burn scar on his inner arm. He got off lightly

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It’s a Zanussi Easyiron, the drum isn’t spinning, (I tried I just on a spin), are motor brushes easy to replace?

If you know what you are doing, no. But they are not expensive to change either, which is why I would get someone in.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possibly it's just the drive belt that has broken. So switch off, unscrew back panel and have a look .
The old belt will be laying there, if so take it to a local spares place as a sample . Easy to replace, best of luck.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a Zanussi Easyiron, the drum isn’t spinning, (I tried I just on a spin), are motor brushes easy to replace?
That isnt the model, just a consumer name. The model, will be on a silver sticker somewhere around the door on the cabinet normally, with the prod(uct) number also probably needed. The FR number(serial no) will age the machine.
Zanussi always had motors that used quite long lasting brushes, and normally the brush holders were held in by screws.
If you dont have confidence in playing with it, dont. If you do venture inside it, remember to unplug the electric to it first.

Ultimately any full diagnosis is not really possible without actually seeing the machine in the flesh, and being able to decide the cause of the issue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

When it should start to turn the drum, can you hear any sound from the motor? If you can then it could be a broken belt, if you can't then it could be the brushes.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Motor carbons or PCB controller fault, but almost definitely the carbons.

The new Poly v belt hardly ever ever break these days, another possibility is that the bearings have failed and the belt ends up slipping off as the pulley can no longer stay in line with the pulley.

Does the drum make a noise if you spin it by hand, is there any play in it? If not, then motor carbons. I fit quite a few to these machines.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - it’s a ZKG7165.

I can spin the drum manually, no noise made - from all the comments it seems like a brushes issue, I’ll probably give it a go myself, if I can find the right parts, which having had a quick look seems an issue.

(High chance I’ll end up calling someone out!)

Thanks again everyone.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Next question, can any recommend a good place to get the parts? I've tried a few places but none seem to sell them for the model I have.

TIA.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Next question, can any recommend a good place to get the parts? I've tried a few places but none seem to sell them for the model I have.

TIA.

I've found e-bay to be useful sourcing parts...

Back in the day there seemed to be shop on every High St selling washer and vac spares...
Complete with friendly advice how to fit 'em...
Now it's all down to youtube...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've found e-bay to be useful sourcing parts...

Back in the day there seemed to be shop on every High St selling washer and vac spares...
Complete with friendly advice how to fit 'em...
Now it's all down to youtube...
That was when machine didn't cost peanuts, werent made out of buttons and society wasnt looking to blame or sue anyone for something that went wrong.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

TIA.
Historically Zanussi have used 4 makes of motor, AEG, Sole, Ceset and Zem. The carbon brushes and holders for each make different, some very subtley.
Only knowing the motor make will help, or a visual check. Without that information you might as well buy a pitching wedge for the washing machine:)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Would you mind expanding on this please.....?

Thanks.
From our experience (hard waster area), liquid detergent makes your machine smell very bad. We have a Bosch and use it probably5 times a week at least. Within the first tear started smelling very bad, despite ensuring it was clean and dry after each use. Checked the filter and all, nothing untoward so phoned Bosch. They asked me if I used liquid detergent, which we did, and suggested that was the problem. We stopped using immediately, did a 90 degree rinse and not had any more smelly issues. Nearly 4 years in, still going strong, not even the black mildew/ mould round the rubber seal.