Deciding between clubs - booked tee off times or not?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club does not have a booking sheet except for comps.
For me it is a massive benefit to be able to turn up and play whenever I want.

If it was so busy that it caused massive queues I'm sure I would think differently, but as I haven't had that problem and primarily play at peak time Saturday morning I am happy with it as it is.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In a private club, why would they want to maximise the number of golfers on the course? They are not money making operations, they are facilities there for the benefit of the members.

The ideal situation in a private club is to have light usage of the course so it can be maintained in peak condition. Think Augusta, Queenwood, Swinley Forest

We're not all on Premier League footballer wages though. And Augusta props itself up by the annual money making exercise that is The Masters.

There's a fine balancing line between members and visitors. Prime examples: Alwoodley. 250 members and they don't (or don't have to) advertise as the annual fees are very large. Yet Hillside is quite cheap per year due to getting 2 or 3 foursballs every day who pay the full £115 per person which helps to subsidise the annual fees. Now at both members can just rock up, but they also have tee booking for visitors.

To the OP - I personally think a mix of the two works really well. I play at a proprietary course which has a hotel attached. Each weekday we have set times in the morning, dinner and afternoon which are "members times" and any member can just rock up and play. In between these are full visitors times (a member can book one of these times 7 days in advance if they want), which can be booked at set tee times.

Works fine for us.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been anti tee booking. But my experience of yesterday described in another post would have been avoided if I could have put my name down in a tee slot outside of the comp reserved times (up to 11:30am). I could have seen when others were going off or where there was a 2 ball in the comp I could join up with. If none I could put my name down in a slot by myself thereby indicating to anyone else like me looking to play that there was someone to play with.

But I would still want flexibility to turn up and play so assuming 10 min slots - I'd maybe suggest in any hour only 3 slots out of 6 bookable.