Is golf immune to the 'cost of living crisis'?

D-S

Visit site
I see that most clubs have raised subs by 6-10%, green fees at top courses have increased dramatically, the cost of new clubs continues to soar. This coupled with the squeeze on disposal income and spend on non essential items should have an impact on golf.

However, most clubs around here are still full with some, who did not have them pre Pandemic, with long waiting lists. There has only been a minute (less than 1%) drop in county numbers from an all time high. Opens are still full and availability of tee times still constrained. I haven't heard of clubs going out of business due to increased costs or reduced memberships.

Also, I haven't seen major cost cutting at local clubs, in fact we have had some major investments by some clubs and driving ranges in Trackman and Top Tracer technology - £400k in one example. Is my area a non representative bubble? Or is the problem still to come?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
While I don't subscribe to the theory that it's a 'rich man's game' I still think you have to have been pretty comfortable to be buying golf membership even before this 'crisis'. If you had a Venn diagram of 'people who are struggling to make ends meet' and 'people who possess a golf club membership' the crossover must be pretty small.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I pretty much agree with Orikoru to be honest!

On the subject of trackman and top tracer investments - I think its smart investment. I appreciate Worcester is a small place but locally we only have 1 place that offers it - and since it was installed its easily doubled its business if not more. My club used to be where people came from Worcester to use the range, now ours is empty and everyone goes to Copcut. Myself and all my friends included.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it not ultimately come down to how much you value your hobby? There may be other things that people drop before getting to that core hobby that you love doing.

You could equally ask this question of football. How much for a season ticket, travel etc. That doesn't seem to be affected either and there is quite a cost involved there. I'm sure there will be other examples.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
according to a GM article last years, 2/3 of golf club members are aged over 50 with 1/3 being over 61

with that in mind, people of that age are likely (not universally before anyone jumps down my throat) to have a smaller mortgage or even own outright, be further up the career ladder, and will unlikely have young children. So their expenses are going to be reasonably low, compared to other demographics, and will be better placed to absorb any rises in membership fees.

On the other end, I can definitely see affecting those with large mortgage and young children in nursery as they are being squeezed in all directions

simsini

Visit site
I sold a set of R9 irons on ebay for £179.99 when they only cost me £219.99 12 years ago. Just one example of how high the cost of clubs is.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I wish there was more done to promote the opportunities to play golf without spending fortunes. With the price of a driver now around £500 - it's an instant turn off to anybody unsure of what is required to take up the game.
In reality you can get yourself kitted out with decent used equipment for no more than £200, and get 18 holes in for around £10 - £15 - but that's not the image golf projects onto the general public.
It won't be immune to the cost of living crisis at the grass roots level - but will be better protected for those clubs where the members are pretty affluent.

peld

Visit site
While I don't subscribe to the theory that it's a 'rich man's game' I still think you have to have been pretty comfortable to be buying golf membership even before this 'crisis'. If you had a Venn diagram of 'people who are struggling to make ends meet' and 'people who possess a golf club membership' the crossover must be pretty small.
Exactly this.

Im quite certain golfers are not representative of the public demographic.

simsini

Visit site
I think it depends where you are in the country. I can't join a decent club round here for less than £1,500, with the best club being around £6,000 per year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it depends where you are in the country. I can't join a decent club round here for less than £1,500, with the best club being around £6,000 per year.
Yeah same here. My membership is £1425, that's the under 40s rate, and it's very much the cheapest in the area.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah same here. My membership is £1425, that's the under 40s rate, and it's very much the cheapest in the area.

Got a course near me that’s £585 for full membership.
If you want to upgrade and spend £950 per annum, you get free buggy hire and free driving range access.
Although the course suffers in the wet months (they all do locally - clay soil) it’s a nice track in the dry periods.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Exactly this.

Im quite certain golfers are not representative of the public demographic.

What is the "public demographic?" ;)

Any sport, club, activity, political or religious group or absolutely anything you care to name is always only a subset of the entire population! I play golf with a bloke who has his own plane, and one who works as a delivery driver! They are both golfers. (Although I did register the word "certain!" :)

Golf clubs go from the really really expensive to the "actually quite cheap!" Set of equipment can be had off Ebay for £50 or you can spend thousands. "Golf" as a singular entity is a broad label. (EG Football Clubs..... am I talking Real Madrid, Aldershot Town or my Village Pub's Sunday Team?

Some folk will say "what cost of living crisis?" some folk will be really struggling, Twas ever thus, however you want to brand it.

So, at current rates of inflation, we've seen subs go up, attempts to manage costs, some folk pack it it and some places reintroduce joining fees!

I am now old enough to have seen several recessions, wars, different governments, all sorts. Regardless of what folk tell you, "there's always something to cause anxiety!"

Dickens sussed it in the 1840s. “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.”

So, if people and golf clubs try to do like Mr Mcawber tried... you have half a chance!

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Let's be clear, the majority of golfers are well off compared to the UK average.

Most clubs are able to splash out on extravagant purchases like plastic bag tags.

D

Deleted member 15344

Running a golf club is not cheap , most members clubs charge a level to break even whilst looking to constantly improve the product members are getting. And that will include increasing costs.

There will obviously be the pay and play courses that are looking for profit and also clubs that will provide golf at a budget

As with most sports or products - you can get equipment and courses at any cost and budget.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Running a golf club is not cheap , most members clubs charge a level to break even whilst looking to constantly improve the product members are getting. And that will include increasing costs.

There will obviously be the pay and play courses that are looking for profit and also clubs that will provide golf at a budget

As with most sports or products - you can get equipment and courses at any cost and budget.

what always confuses me is that discrepancy in membership fees across the country, if it were true what you were saying that members club charge enough to keep going and to fund improvements then we would see generally similar fees charged across the country.

Taking into account overheads may be more in London and the SE for wages etc than elsewhere and that Links and Moorland need less grass cutting then parkland, but apart from that generally similar.

Yes in my neck of the woods an average course is £1,600pa and in Devon a top course would be be about £1,200, and my old track was for a long time £500, they have just put their fees up to £700. I think like most businesses golf clubs will charge the highest they can get away with in the area they are, in Twickenham there is no shortage of people with spare cash so Fulwell GC can charge £2k a year and a £2k joining fee and they will still have a waiting list. Whereas if you tried to charge that in mid-Devon you would get laughed out of town

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If more people were driving old bangers instead of new BMW's and Merc's, I would go along with the "cost of living blah blah blah" or trainers that are £200. But people don't want to make sacrifices and compromises and have it all, all the time.
How much is it to go skiing for a week?
How much is a set of quality darts or quality snooker cue?
Golf doesn't have to be expensive, and avereage membershipos aren't, if you make use of it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If more people were driving old bangers instead of new BMW's and Merc's, I would go along with the "cost of living blah blah blah" or trainers that are £200. But people don't want to make sacrifices and compromises and have it all, all the time.
How much is it to go skiing for a week?
How much is a set of quality darts or quality snooker cue?
Golf doesn't have to be expensive, and avereage membershipos aren't, if you make use of it.
Are you trying to say that golf membership is cheaper if you play more? :unsure: