Is the cost of living crisis affecting your golf/plans?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Everyone's budgets are being squeezed and we're looking for some responses for a piece on how the current cost of living crisis might be affecting your golf eg memberships, trips, days out, new clubs?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not here.
As I said in another thread, I'm selling the cat into slavery so I'll be right(y)
I'm also not making many long term plans........

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Money is certainly going to be tighter for me this year as my wife is on maternity leave and I am absorbing a lot of the additional costs.

Fortunately my golf membership is a mere £33 a month so there are no plans to cancel any time soon! Actually, pound for pound, I dont think anything comes close in terms of value for money in comparison to other activities I could do in my spare time.

Cant see as many trips being organised to alternative courses paying £60+ green fees though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel like everything's been getting rapidly more expensive for the last decade anyway. No plans to buy new clubs really anyway - maybe for birthday only. And that's not til September.

RichA

Visit site
I might not bother with trips, but full membership at ours is pretty good value at £610 per year for unlimited golf.
It's been my release valve for the last 2 years and there are plenty of other less fulfilling outgoings I can trim, if necessary.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For greens fees etc, not particularly yet.

as above, petrol prices to get everywhere is the pain. I go through £400 a month on fuel as it is with just commuting, so further steep rises are going to cause chaos

Mandofred

Visit site
Nothing for me. Kind of planning on moving to yet another club next month....partially because I was driving 20-25 min each way to the courses I was playing at and it was getting annoying. The new club is 2.1 miles away. Costs more to join, but I'll make that up easily on using a lot less petrol.

phillarrow

Visit site
I've only recently joined a club and will renew my membership in the new financial year, but I am having to make some savings elsewhere that I was hoping to avoid. We've got two weekends planned that I will still attend, but I won't attend any others if they are booked.

The biggest one for me though is clubs. I had planned on buying new irons and wedges this year, and possibly a new driver, but those plans are shelved for now - at least until later in the year when I find out how/if I've been able to adjust to the rising cost of living.

AAC

Visit site
Not just yet, however like everyone else I will be keep an eye on expenditure. I tend to play most of my golf at my home club, I previously used to play in a few singles/pairs comps but I won't this year not for economic reasons but it does save entry fee's & transport costs. I now baulk at paying £50 for a dozen balls, so look for better value elsewhere. Fortunately my mindset does not compel me to buy the latest/best equipment, so overall my golfing budget is manageable as I reckon all in I get away with less than £50 week.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had already ditched my membership as once it got to the £1000.00 a year mark it was simply not good value (not talking affordability but simply value) It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. The pandemic saw a rise in golf popularity that has given the clubs the luxury of uppng fees, bringing back joining fees etc and the cost of golf gear has skyrocketed. Will the massive squeeze due to the cost of living reverse those gains made over the last 2 years as people re-evaluate the cost, could some clubs start to struggle again as non essentials are thrown out the window.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Currently down for smithy’s trip and the h4h but that’s it for the year and even that hangs in the balance of an op. Like others disposable income is being assessed, I definitely did not get the value out of last years membership and moving into the 22/23 season I’m seriously considering a pay as you play credits based membership. I doubt I’ve played 25 games to date from the membership year which equates to £55 - £60 a round.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A while ago I set up a golf account. I pay a set fee every month into it

my membership goes out of it.. the rest is my money to buy new clothes, go other courses.. new clubs whatever

over the winter it builds up more

I try and ring fence it into my budget

however when asked how much a year do you spend on golf the figure I give is always the same a never a guess

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would often go to the club just to have a coffee and a chat.

I've stopped doing it so often now I have factored in the fuel cost and since we changed our caterer the the cost of mug of coffee has gone up nearly 50%.

I was going to change my irons this years but my eyes watered when I found out the cost of a top make set. Last iron change about 3 years ago (Mizuno bought) £115 an iron. Irons I am looking at (Titleist ) £160 each.

At least the club has limited the increase to an inflation increase (3.4%).

As it is my primary source of enjoyment I will continue for as long as I can afford it and where I play the cost is reasonable, £1178 this year year including locker, buggy storage plus charging and £50 on the bar card.

Mandofred

Visit site
After looking at a few replies....
1. Look at something other than the big name brands for clubs. I just bought a set of Sub 70 irons....I'm now playing those instead of my old Ping i500. Just bought a set of Sub70 irons 5-PW with graphite shafts for £420....and delivered about 11 days after ordering. There are a number of these companies who are putting out great products, but people won't look at them because they aren't one of the big companies. There are plenty of reviews out there from very dependable sites (like TXG) It's your money, but.......:sick::sick:
2. I won't buy a box of balls in the £40+ range. I can afford it, I just won't pay it (same as I won't pay £5+ for a pint of beer) I just don't see the difference in the real world....almost everybody else won't either. Just bought 2 boxes of Titleist Tour Speed, and just coming off a couple boxes of Bridgestone E12 Contact (pretty nice balls....less than £25)...but they look a bit strange...and golfers don't like things looking strange...but the reviews are good (again, check TXG).
3. I won't pay £50+ a round to play golf somewhere else.